Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was one challenge second half he fucking threw himself into it, helped start that full tide swing for the goals

He was missed before, superb Erik we had the top 11 out there today

His workrate is brilliant. His miss in the first half was awful but made up for it in the second half.

I said before the game that I was pleased to see him back as I thought we'd missed him. Offers us more than Son or Chadli does.

It is as clear as day light what Lamela offers the team over Son. He assisted and score one goal and made a ridiculous 9 tackles. Making him probably one of the most defensive players on the pitch. He is a massive cog in the machine and definitely worth the 30m we paid for him given what he does on the pitch.

What's amazing is that he came here as a gilt edged prospect- a luxury type player with the silky skills & worldie goals.

What we have actually bought is a real grafter of a player. That's not to say he doesn't have the silky skills & the worldie goals in his locker, but his contribution to the cause this season has been immense to the extent that when he is missing, it is worrying. He certainly isn't a luxury/flair player in the traditional respect.

I though that Erik & Mousa absolutely bossed it today.

Would have given a kidney to have gone today to see the boys put Van Gaal's shower to the sword.

Last edited:
Big. Game. Player.
Makes you excited to (touch every piece of wood in the room) see him in the Champions League next year. He's the anti-Ozil!

What's amazing is that he came here as a gilt edged prospect- a luxury type player with the silky skills & worldie goals.

What we have actually bought is a real grafter of a player. That's not to say he doesn't have the silky skills & the worldie goals in his locker, but his contribution to the cause this season has been immense to the extent that when he is missing, it is worrying. He certainly isn't a luxury/flare player in the traditional respect.

I though that Erik & Mousa absolutely bossed it today.
I see Lamela as having improved with us each year. The first season, with AVB/Sherwood/turmoil was a complete write off anyway due to injury. Last year, Poch did a wonderful job building his confidence back up and using his aggressive tackling attributes to work as a part of the pressing system.
This season hasn't been all plain sailing (there were transfer rumours in the summer, if I recall), and I think Lamela had to keep working to get where he is now, but this run in is really showing what an important player he has become...

He looks more and more like someone who feels like they belong, and if he can add another asset or two to his game (heading, shooting?) then next season will be great.

Oh, and thank fuck he's the number one choice to take indirect free kicks and corners now. He's so much better than Eriksen at whipping the ball in.
:lameladisgust::eriksenserious:

What a work ethic he's got. We can't underestimate the importance of Poch coming in and seemingly bridging the language/culture gap the lad was clearly struggling to overcome.

I'll second everything said above about this guy after the United match, and add that of all the things to love about our team this season, my absolute favourite moments is whenever Lamela scores. He so fucking deserves every bit of success, he gets, after turning his (Tottenham) career through grit and determination, plus he plays so much with his heart on his sleeve and looks truly delighted to score for this team and club.

Also, got to thinking. Even while he was on the up in terms of form and contribution, there were - legitimate? - rumblings that he still wasn't a 30m (or whatever we actually paid) player. Right now, I'd really struggle to find a player, we could realistically get for 30-35m that I'd rather have than Lamela. Speaks volumes!

Sprint after sprint to chase down the opposition, must be a complete nightmare playing against him as he just keeps on getting in your face and not letting you have time on the ball.

Big game player too.

He's not one of the best players we've ever had , he's not even one of the best players in our current team but he is by far one of my favourites

What a work ethic he's got. We can't underestimate the importance of Poch coming in and seemingly bridging the language/culture gap the lad was clearly struggling to overcome.
You can underestimate it very easily, what you can't do is overestimate it….:allitongue:

But I agree the jist, it's been so nice to see this lad work, work, work to prove the doubters wrong and get to where he is today - a critical part of the best team in the Premier league

1) Lamela, Tottenham’s Secret Clogger
Not so long ago Érik Lamela was on his way to becoming a synonym for a certain kind of wastefulness. No one talks about The Bale Money at Tottenham now, and rightly. As scattergun summer splurges go Spurs 2013 hardly stands out these days. But on Sunday at White Hart Lane there was confirmation once again of how far both Tottenham and Lamela himself have come since that summer of 2013. Not only were Lamela, Christian Eriksen and Nacer Chadli – half a Bale combined – all on the pitch as Spurs beat Manchester United at home for the first time in some time. Lamela was also a profound influence, as he has been often this season, a player who has successfully transformed what seemed a startling transfer fee into something that seems fair enough these days. Lamela scored one and made one. He was also a key factor in the tourniquet Spurs applied to United’s flowing start, stepping back to double up with Kyle Walker as Anthony Martial threatened to make it a dicey afternoon, and generally niggling, snipping, sniping and – despite not drawing the referee’s whistle once – fouling Spurs back into parity on that flank. Lamela’s goals and assists stats are so-so. His foul stats (he started the game with 81 this season compared to, say, Juan Mata’s 25) are off the charts. For a player who has the stylings of a more lightweight creative influence he is in fact an expert at breaking up play, generally managing the flow around him. If any one player embodies the transition to tough, spiky and physically relentless, it is perhaps Spurs’ own Secret Clogger. Barney Ronay

Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action

Am thinking of buying the purple kit with Lamela on the back (Yes, I'm a kit collector/wanker) but I fear for the lad if I do so.

Bought Keane: fucked off to Liverpool
Bought Dawson: sold unceremoniously
Bought King: retired after the season
Bought Bentaleb: turned to "shit" (I exaggerate to make points)
Bought Mason: firmly placed on the bench

:lamelashock:

Am thinking of buying the purple kit with Lamela on the back (Yes, I'm a kit collector/wanker) but I fear for the lad if I do so.

Bought Keane: fucked off to Liverpool
Bought Dawson: sold unceremoniously
Bought King: retired after the season
Bought Bentaleb: turned to "shit" (I exaggerate to make points)
Bought Mason: firmly put on the bench

:lamelashock:

Don't do it! Get yourself 'Bergmattsson 99', Levy will be laughing all the way to the bank with that number of letters and number!

Erik Lamela and the Pochettino effect
A goal and assist in the same Premier League game for only the second time during Lamela’s time in England, the other being the 4-1 home win over Manchester City in September. The Argentinean sure does pick his moments.

Yet it is not Lamela’s attacking prowess that deserves the most praise, but his hard work. The reputation of fancy dan (which was not inaccurate) gained during his first season in England has been spectacularly reversed.

Lamela made nine tackles in 87 minutes against United – four more than any other player on the pitch – and only two players covered more distance. Lamela may not be exactly the player that Tottanham bought three years ago, but that’s intended as a compliment. He is the poster boy of the Pochettino effect.

Premier League winners and losers - Football365

Not so long ago Érik Lamela was on his way to becoming a synonym for a certain kind of wastefulness. No one talks about The Bale Money at Tottenham now, and rightly. As scattergun summer splurges go Spurs 2013 hardly stands out these days. But on Sunday at White Hart Lane there was confirmation once again of how far both Tottenham and Lamela himself have come since that summer of 2013. Not only were Lamela, Christian Eriksen and Nacer Chadli – half a Bale combined – all on the pitch as Spurs beat Manchester United at home for the first time in some time. Lamela was also a profound influence, as he has been often this season, a player who has successfully transformed what seemed a startling transfer fee into something that seems fair enough these days. Lamela scored one and made one. He was also a key factor in the tourniquet Spurs applied to United’s flowing start, stepping back to double up with Kyle Walker as Anthony Martial threatened to make it a dicey afternoon, and generally niggling, snipping, sniping and – despite not drawing the referee’s whistle once – fouling Spurs back into parity on that flank. Lamela’s goals and assists stats are so-so. His foul stats (he started the game with 81 this season compared to, say, Juan Mata’s 25) are off the charts. For a player who has the stylings of a more lightweight creative influence he is in fact an expert at breaking up play, generally managing the flow around him. If any one player embodies the transition to tough, spiky and physically relentless, it is perhaps Spurs’ own Secret Clogger. Barney Ronay

Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action

Back
Top Bottom