Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There are VERY few players who I believe are world class.

Firstly, they have to produce at the highest level, as well as for their clubs week in week out. So consistency is a big factor. They have to be producing in the Champions League against top class opposition. And finally, they have to do what no others can do in their position, something which makes them stand out above others.

In my opinion, the only real world class players in the world at this minute are:

Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero, Robben, Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, Neuer, Kompany, Hummels, Lahm. (I may have missed someone else who is obvious and some may disagree, but there aren't many players who do what they do on a regular basis, week in week out).

The likes of Bale and Suarez need to prove it for a season or 2 more to prove they are in that class.
Hummels not considered good enough for Bayern, 1 league app, loaned and then sold. 21 games at U21 level and 38 full caps in 2 years at full international level? Now in a team one from bottom with 15 points from 17 games. How long has he been a great world class defender?
Aguero is not even in the top 20 all time Spanish top scorers. He averaged 15 a year in his 5 years at Atletico. Never once was top scorer in his time in La Liga. Never managed more than 20 goals in a season there. How can he be classed as truly World class? From 2006/7 to 2012/13 Aguero scored 109 league goals in 239 apps. Soldado even scored 99 goals in 166 apps during the same period. Looking at those stats you'd say Bobby was world class in Spain. Was Aguero World class before he came to England? I'd say he was a consistent goalscorer. Aguero's scoring record in goals per game for Argentina is not as good as Bobby's or Rooneys. Bobby has 7 in 12, Rooney 46 in 101, Sergio has 22 in 59. What I am saying is that World class is truly an opinion.
Thing is if you look at the latest top 100 footballers how many are English? I think Rooney, Gerrard, Strurridge and Wilshere are in it...only Rooney is in the top 50.
When you look at how many English players are coveted by La Liga, Seria A, Eredivise and Bundesliga to how many German, Dutch, Belgian, Italian, African, French and Spanish etc are coveted by the EPL from those leagues it says it all.

To me a world class player is a consistently great international player. You can only be judged as a world class player playing against the best players from World football.
There are not a lot of them. Messi is one and Pirlo is another..

I wonder if Lamela should start V Leicester. He did well against Burnley, and maybe we could save him and Walker for Utd and Chelsea. Anyway I'm delighted he might yet turn out to be a good player for us.
I think that when Lamela develops more consistency he will be a brilliant player for us!

There are VERY few players who I believe are world class.

Firstly, they have to produce at the highest level, as well as for their clubs week in week out. So consistency is a big factor. They have to be producing in the Champions League against top class opposition. And finally, they have to do what no others can do in their position, something which makes them stand out above others.

In my opinion, the only real world class players in the world at this minute are:

Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero, Robben, Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, Neuer, Kompany, Hummels, Lahm. (I may have missed someone else who is obvious and some may disagree, but there aren't many players who do what they do on a regular basis, week in week out).

The likes of Bale and Suarez need to prove it for a season or 2 more to prove they are in that class.
I disagree with regards to Bale and Suarez. Bale seems obvious to me. Ridiculously "clutch" and just an amazing footballer. He is world class.

And Suarez is pure genius on the ball regardless of how big a dick he is off it.

And I would love to see some of those players in the Premier League for sure though but don't think Hummels would be as good.

So Lloris, Eriksen, Suarez, Ribery, Kompany, Modric, Sanchez, Silva, Aguero and countless others aren't world class then...?

You're embarrassing :paulinhofacepalm:

Players that are world class have won major championships over and over again. A lot of the players you name haven't won jack shit. Dealing with pressure is all apart of being a world class player and we've yet to see it. Though I feel Lloris, Suarez, Modric and Ribery are all world class in their on right and on his day Kompany can be v good.

Thing is if you look at the latest top 100 footballers how many are English? I think Rooney, Gerrard, Strurridge and Wilshere are in it...only Rooney is in the top 50.

Wishere in the top 100? You need to be in the top 200 before you can be in the top 100.

Gerrard is even doubtful at this point sturridge has the promise to be there.

Who the fuck cares what everybody's interpretation of the saying 'World Class' means?

Lamela is young and talented, and in my opinion should be getting as much game time as possible. Whether he will develop into a 'World Class' player is yet to be seen. End of.

Ok....Dier is world class.

No one react.

I think lamela will come good but what i have been noticing that you need not necessarily better but certain type of players to combine with certain type of players lamela was good that day why becuz he had an overlapping RB in walker it gives him more option than predictably cutting inside spray it wide to walker play a one two with walker and head for the byline and cross or cut inside samething with the other side i think chadli and rose works well together chadli on another note gets back and helps rose and is much better defensively than erikssen who is best at our no10 role for sure center mid is the only one i cant figure out the right combination.

e31.jpg

How about we say that you're all world class and move on.

I wonder if Lamela should start V Leicester. He did well against Burnley, and maybe we could save him and Walker for Utd and Chelsea. Anyway I'm delighted he might yet turn out to be a good player for us.

He should start IMO. From what I've seen this season is he, Eriksen, and Kane are our fittest players in the squad. Even late in the games they're still hustling and beating out opponents.

I completely understand people doubting he's good enough, you can't ignore ineffectual performances, but I'm in the keep playing him camp. Think his better play will keep increasing with experience in this league personally and that he's worth persevering with atm. Thing is when you see him do something well, it looks better than what our other options will give us. Obviously there's nowhere near enough of it usually but the fact he's capable of it makes it worth working on it surely. Our club is a bit too impatient at times IMO although tbf I've joined in with the baileys drinkers now so must be a bit pissed.

Back
Top Bottom