The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur vs carrier bag from former USSR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But isn't our goal difference between them the same? Both 2-1 results, or is it overall goal difference? In which case we're up by 2 at the moment. So they could win by 1 goal and we lose to Monaco and we'd still be first? Or I'm ballsing this up.
You've given me a headache. Head to head is redundant, so between us and Anderlecht it will be points, then GD and then goals scored.

You've given me a headache. Head to head is redundant, so between us and Anderlecht it will be points, then GD and then goals scored.
Given myself one. Right so if we lose, and they win we'll both be on 10 points.
If they win by 1 goal and we lose by 1 goal, the GD would be the same, but we'd still be first because we'd have scored 1 more goal than them (currently we've scored 2 more than them).

So we can afford to lose and still finish first if it all falls our way. There are some good teams (including Dortmund and Fiorentina) currently 2nd in their groups, so finishing first could result in some difficult games anyway.

Given myself one. Right so if we lose, and they win we'll both be on 10 points.
If they win by 1 goal and we lose by 1 goal, the GD would be the same, but we'd still be first because we'd have scored 1 more goal than them (currently we've scored 2 more than them).

So we can afford to lose and still finish first if it all falls our way. There are some good teams (including Dortmund and Fiorentina) currently 2nd in their groups, so finishing first could result in some difficult games anyway.
Top of the group is the target, we avoid most of the CL dropouts by finishing top. I'm knackered, but I'll give you a better answer tomorrow.

The teams are ranked according to points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss). If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine the rankings (regulations Article 16.01):[1]

1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
  3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  5. if, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 12 apply;
  6. superior goal difference in all group matches;
  7. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  8. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  9. higher number of wins in all group matches;
  10. higher number of away wins in all group matches;
  11. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
  12. higher club coefficient.
That pile of shit is the entirety of the criteria to break ties in Europa League Group standings. Because the two games we played with Anderlecht both ended in 2-1 home wins items 1-4 are irrelevant and therefore we fall to five. We currently lead by two so if Anderlecht wins and we lose by one goal each then this is tied, if either they win or we lose by more than one they take the advantage. If the one goal scenario holds we have eight goals scored and they have six so they need to outscore us by three to beat us to first place. If they outscore us by two and we each win by one we are tied in criteria eight, nine and ten and it would come to eleven where we have been very good at not getting cards in Europe and would have to have three players sent off to match their number of yellow cards in which case we would probably lose by more than one. But none of this means fuck all if we manage to get a god damn draw against Monaco. Who will in all honesty not have a whole lot of hope going in to that game needing Anderlecht to not get a win at home to Qarabag who could still qualify if we squash Monaco and they beat Anderlecht which they did once already. Whatever else happens just beat the frenchies we should be able to do that anyway or we don't deserve whatever advantage we would get.

The teams are ranked according to points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss). If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine the rankings (regulations Article 16.01):[1]

1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
  3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
  5. if, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 12 apply;
  6. superior goal difference in all group matches;
  7. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  8. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  9. higher number of wins in all group matches;
  10. higher number of away wins in all group matches;
  11. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
  12. higher club coefficient.
That pile of shit is the entirety of the criteria to break ties in Europa League Group standings. Because the two games we played with Anderlecht both ended in 2-1 home wins items 1-4 are irrelevant and therefore we fall to five. We currently lead by two so if Anderlecht wins and we lose by one goal each then this is tied, if either they win or we lose by more than one they take the advantage. If the one goal scenario holds we have eight goals scored and they have six so they need to outscore us by three to beat us to first place. If they outscore us by two and we each win by one we are tied in criteria eight, nine and ten and it would come to eleven where we have been very good at not getting cards in Europe and would have to have three players sent off to match their number of yellow cards in which case we would probably lose by more than one. But none of this means fuck all if we manage to get a god damn draw against Monaco. Who will in all honesty not have a whole lot of hope going in to that game needing Anderlecht to not get a win at home to Qarabag who could still qualify if we squash Monaco and they beat Anderlecht which they did once already. Whatever else happens just beat the frenchies we should be able to do that anyway or we don't deserve whatever advantage we would get.
Sorry mate, what was that. Could you repeat that please?

Whilst I will admit that my view of the game may have been slightly rosier than usual due to the above average consumption of merlot I woke this morning
to read the Daily Mail saying we 'huffed and puffed' all game.
Here's what I think I saw from a tactical perspective....
Firstly there was the team's training pace when in possession which switched rapidly to game pace when applying the press to get the ball back.
That change of pace happened too many times for it not to have been a deliberate tactic.
Then there was the higher than normal high line therebye compressing the pitch which meant less runnin' abaht.
Thirdly there was the use of the long ball out of defense especially from Toby and,
lastly there was Alli who got through alot of work up front (as he did against the pikeys) therebye relieving Harry of some of the workload.
So I reckon that I saw was a deliberate set of tactics designed (by Poch) to reduce the energy expended by the players...and it worked!
Audere est facere and all that.
p.s. the chavs are already shitting themselves....

Whilst I will admit that my view of the game may have been slightly rosier than usual due to the above average consumption of merlot I woke this morning
to read the Daily Mail saying we 'huffed and puffed' all game.
Here's what I think I saw from a tactical perspective....
Firstly there was the team's training pace when in possession which switched rapidly to game pace when applying the press to get the ball back.
That change of pace happened too many times for it not to have been a deliberate tactic.
Then there was the higher than normal high line therebye compressing the pitch which meant less runnin' abaht.
Thirdly there was the use of the long ball out of defense especially from Toby and,
lastly there was Alli who got through alot of work up front (as he did against the pikeys) therebye relieving Harry of some of the workload.
So I reckon that I saw was a deliberate set of tactics designed (by Poch) to reduce the energy expended by the players...and it worked!
Audere est facere and all that.
p.s. the chavs are already shitting themselves....
I agree although it doesn't really matter weather its deliberate play. The team is playing as one, with confidence and the ability to adjust. Possibly, VW submitted the findings for The Mail? Lets hope we are strong for Sunday.

i just want us to play a portuguese team next :chadliblow:
we could play porto.
then we will see who is more important to u?
the part time fishermen or the glorious spurs.
are u a Portuenses or a worthy cock?
a proud lillywhite or a come back hulk whiner.
will your affair with a porto forum be exposed.
u cheating tripeiros.

id fancy our chances with casillas the clown in goal.

i thought it was a brilliant performance.

can't recall a manager who would have achieved that last night, Keith probably. (that's 30 odd years ago)

Top of the group is the target, we avoid most of the CL dropouts by finishing top. I'm knackered, but I'll give you a better answer tomorrow.

Whether you come top or 2nd you still have equal chance of playing a CL team. 12 group winners and best 4 3rd place teams are seeded. 12 runners up and worst 4 3rd place teams unseeded.

Knowing our luck we'll win the group and get the toughest draw (Dortmund, I'm looking at you to win the next game yeah)

Pundits seem to be saying how we struggled to break them down, that we were very ordinary in the first half, that we huffed and puffed...

We were away from home in a European game, not wanting to over-exert anyone. You don't just go balls out and risk shipping a couple. It was a classic away performance - control the game in a defensive manner for 60 minutes, go get a goal, shut up shop. We didn't need to win 4-3, we needed a boring ordinary game where we won 1-0, and it's exactly what we achieved.

This is what using tactics looks like - actually taking into account the opposition, the venue and the situation. Home to WHU - high press defence, high intensity offence throughout. Away to Qarabag - stingy defence, defensive possession, hold the game, take a lead mid-2nd half.

Whether you come top or 2nd you still have equal chance of playing a CL team. 12 group winners and best 4 3rd place teams are seeded. 12 runners up and worst 4 3rd place teams unseeded.

Knowing our luck we'll win the group and get the toughest draw (Dortmund, I'm looking at you to win the next game yeah)

I was speaking with my odd couple best friend the other day. He was saying there was a chance that we could be facing Woolwich in the next stage of the EL should they drop down.

Any idea if that is right?

we could play porto.
then we will see who is more important to u?
the part time fishermen or the glorious spurs.
are u a Portuenses or a worthy cock?
a proud lillywhite or a come back hulk whiner.
will your affair with a porto forum be exposed.
u cheating tripeiros.

id fancy our chances with casillas the clown in goal.
You are an evil evil little man:dier:

Pundits seem to be saying how we struggled to break them down, that we were very ordinary in the first half, that we huffed and puffed...

We were away from home in a European game, not wanting to over-exert anyone. You don't just go balls out and risk shipping a couple. It was a classic away performance - control the game in a defensive manner for 60 minutes, go get a goal, shut up shop. We didn't need to win 4-3, we needed a boring ordinary game where we won 1-0, and it's exactly what we achieved.

This is what using tactics looks like - actually taking into account the opposition, the venue and the situation. Home to WHU - high press defence, high intensity offence throughout. Away to Qarabag - stingy defence, defensive possession, hold the game, take a lead mid-2nd half.

Pundits are fucking morons. Most of them come from a culture where they'd have a pint after training.

No team would have gone there and had an easy game

I always prefer our team being under appreciated, brings far less pressure.

That's incorrect. Teams from the same country cannot draw each other until the quarters.

I would take them in the quarters, semis or the final. I want us to be the team to knock them clean out of Europe this year. I want revenge for the league cup. I hope they don't fuck it up before we face them on the way to lifting the European cup.

Back
Top Bottom