The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur vs West Ham United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As I see it we are playing MUCH more physical this year and particularly in the matches we do well in. We are closing down on the ball and nearly mugging the opposition. Quite frankly I'm surprised we get away with a lot of it

Dire, Dembele & Delle (3D) are leading the way with this. Too bad the Bruise Brothers won't be together against Chelsea.
Agree. We do have Lamela though who will be back from suspension and he's very physical in the way he likes to wind up players and foul them.

lots of good points u made. id still disagree with how much we would miss kane & also dier .
to a lesser extent lloris & either CBs would be a hinderance!
we would struggle with half the team missing.

jokes aside. Although any player as suggested would be missed, Its easier for players to come into a side and cope when the team is playing well. Weve coped so far , lets hope it continues.

Have we though?

So far we've had Lloris, Rose, Bentaleb, Mason, Dembele, Chadli, Eriksen, Pritchard and Son injured at the very least.

It could have been worse, but I'd say that 8 of our top 15 players missing games due to injuries in the first three months of the season isn't anywhere near lucky.

Yes, backup is good, but if anything we've proven that we do have good backup. We don't know yet if we have good enough backup up front, but personally I believe that we have the versatility to be ok should Kane be injured. Of course, we don't have the backup to be as good without Kane as with him, in his current form, but I don't think we'd be better off with West Broms backup as our backup.

And, and this is very important, especially for a club that wants to develop young players: Too much backup is a thing, and can easily be a problem.
Do you mean, having a large squad with senior players as backups so youngsters dont get the opportunity.

Found this gem on KUMB

did spurs have better quality? no
did spurs have a stronger squad? no
did spurs work hard? yes
did spurs close down our players? yes
did spurs play with a high tempo? yes

The only reason we lost is because Pocchetino got more out of his players than Bilic did of ours

:eriksenlol:

So one of their other fans tackled this by saying this:
"Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele, Lloris and possibly Kane are all far superior to anyone that was in our 11, and there are arguments to made for everyone else bar Danny Rose."

Possibly Kane.
Possibly! I fucking pissed myself at that. Do they really think Carrol is better than Kane? Seriously? Better than the guy who has scored more Premier League goals than anyone else this calendar year? Even after witnessing yesterday? Wow.
:pocheyes:

we would struggle with half the team missing.

jokes aside. Although any player as suggested would be missed, Its easier for players to come into a side and cope when the team is playing well. Weve coped so far , lets hope it continues.
ha. i didnt mean all at the same time.
we shall see if & when we get a key player out for a long time.
but fingers crossed it wont happen!

They were nowhere near our level of quality.

Granted they didn't have Payet, but neither did we have Lamela. Yes he's the heart of their squad, but what does that really say about their club when they're summed up by one player? We've been there ourselves in previous seasons, so I can sympathize, but Sunday was just a grossly unfair contest. Across the pitch they were simply beaten man for man. It really was surprising just how much better we were than them, so none of them have an ounce of an argument by saying otherwise.

Is Payet really better than the rest of our squad combined? Because that's what it would have taken on Sunday, it was simply that one sided. None of their players came remotely close to matching up with our boys.

And they are that, boys. Youngest side in the league. Which only makes the performance more depressing for west ham.

Granted they didn't have Payet, but neither did we have Lamela. Yes he's the heart of their squad, but what does that really say about their club when they're summed up by one player? We've been there ourselves in previous seasons, so I can sympathize, but Sunday was just a grossly unfair contest. Across the pitch they were simply beaten man for man. It really was surprising just how much better we were than them, so none of them have an ounce of an argument by saying otherwise.

Is Payet really better than the rest of our squad combined? Because that's what it would have taken on Sunday, it was simply that one sided. None of their players came remotely close to matching up with our boys.

And they are that, boys. Youngest side in the league. Which only makes the performance more depressing for west ham.
I know with us it's not that likely but whatever happens can we please not sell any of the youngsters for just 2 more years and see where we are because it really could be so special

After they beat Man City and Chelsea they were claiming that not one of our players would get in their team and I'm not joking.
Someone posted on here a post from KUMB which read that Reid is one of the best CB's in the world and Adrian is one of the best keepers plus Noble should be an England regular so you can see their level of delusion.
I find their outlook on their club hilarious.
There was even a thread entitled "can we win the league" a couple of weeks later it's all " same shit, can't wait for the season to be over" they are definitely a very rare and special breed.

I know with us it's not that likely but whatever happens can we please not sell any of the youngsters for just 2 more years and see where we are because it really could be so special
We'll get some stupid money offers in the next few transfers, I'm sure. But I do think that our club strategy has gone a long way toward buying the loyalty of these young players. I have seen every indication that each and every one of them realizes that they are currently part of something very special indeed. We're routinely boosting their contracts, too. Every six months these boys are edging closer and closer toward a truly top professional salary. New contracts, extensions, benefits. The fans aren't just singing their names, they're fucking screaming them in passion. Maybe I'm just a deluded fan, but I really do think that Kane already loves the club, and that some or all of Dier, Mason, Alli, Bentaleb, et al. either do as well or are really flirting with it. I do think that they realize that anywhere else they go they won't have that same special sort of relationship.

Unlike AVB and just about any other manager that would have turned their backs on youngsters at the first hint of stress, Poch showed fucking steadfast faith in the youth at our club, and they are repaying him in kind.

If we continue playing at this level for the next year or two, honestly I think the scariest prospect is a club like Barca coming in for him. I really do have that much faith in what I'm seeing right now. We have turned a major fucking corner, and everywhere I look I see quality. I do think the league is beyond us this season, but if we continue to build on what I'm seeing right now then I do think we're firmly in the mix next season.

I'd honestly like to start an inquisition. There are so many on this forum that were boo boys. Not many showing their faces currently, but they're there.

Watched the highlights just now - I thought Jelavic was rather good at Everton; what happened to him?

Walker - in my playing days, I used to try outside of the foot shots but I never, ever had the power that Walker had for the fourth goal.

There is such a thing as loyalty left in football and our guys are obviously demonstrating that towards the manager and the club! They are playing for each-other, the shirt and the prospect of matching it with the best very soon why not!

ha. i didnt mean all at the same time.
we shall see if & when we get a key player out for a long time.
but fingers crossed it wont happen!
Because we started the season well, losing Mason was a blow but we coped. We' did well without Lamela on Sunday. I feel the team is playing so well and consistant we would get by short term. Long term who knows?
lets see if we miss Alli, lets hpoe not.

Last edited:
VirginiaSpur VirginiaSpur
Well spoken mate, and I agree the future looks very bright right now, and it seems like the whole club is all smiles at the moment (bar Townsend, perhaps)

We just have to hang on to this when the inevitable defeat against Watford or something comes around.

I think although we have a young team we don`t have a naive team , it hasn`t really been mentioned by the media but they have had an excellent temperment this season , Giroud tried it all game with Vertonghen we got on with it and Dier got in his face with a few choice words without really getting in his face , West Ham also tried to drag the game down when they realised they were woefully outmatched and surrounded Spurs players on three or four occasions ,personally i felt Alli was wrongfully booked , I think the team handles that side of the game well especially Dier who gave Sahko a right cunting off at one point yesterday but he never takes it too far.

They also seem quite disciplined when it comes to arguing with referees. I've always hated seeing the cunty players of United, Pool, Woolwich and Cheatski and how they would collectively surround refs every time they get even the most obvious foul given against them. Our players just seem to be above that shit. So focused and professional.

So I had a lovely Sunday with all my West Ham fan in laws. I even had the cheek to enjoy the wonderful Roast Lamb they made after we'd mugged them off so badly.

What a time to be alive and married to the enemy.

Have we though?

So far we've had Lloris, Rose, Bentaleb, Mason, Dembele, Chadli, Eriksen, Pritchard and Son injured at the very least.

It could have been worse, but I'd say that 8 of our top 15 players missing games due to injuries in the first three months of the season isn't anywhere near lucky.

Yes, backup is good, but if anything we've proven that we do have good backup. We don't know yet if we have good enough backup up front, but personally I believe that we have the versatility to be ok should Kane be injured. Of course, we don't have the backup to be as good without Kane as with him, in his current form, but I don't think we'd be better off with West Broms backup as our backup.

And, and this is very important, especially for a club that wants to develop young players: Too much backup is a thing, and can easily be a problem.

Sorry but regardless of how well we're doing at the moment and the strength of the best 11-13 players, we do not have any back-up for Kane. Son has played very little football for us at all let alone in the league. His couple of goals early do not make him a striker, we can't sugar-coat the tap-ins against Quarabag that much. Don't get carried away. There has also been very little seen of N'Jie, moments of raw promise and that's all.

When you look at what Kane does for the team on and off the ball as well as his goals, it should be clear he is critical and doesn't even have a near equal for the role in our squad!

Sorry but regardless of how well we're doing at the moment and the strength of the best 11-13 players, we do not have any back-up for Kane. Son has played very little football for us at all let alone in the league. His couple of goals early do not make him a striker, we can't sugar-coat the tap-ins against Quarabag that much. Don't get carried away. There has also been very little seen of N'Jie, moments of raw promise and that's all.

When you look at what Kane does for the team on and off the ball as well as his goals, it should be clear he is critical and doesn't even have a near equal for the role in our squad!

I explicitly said that we don't have a backup for him that can do what Kane does when he's playing like he is at the moment. I remain convinced, however, that with our current squad we have just as good backup for him as we'd have had we bought West Broms second choice striker to provide the backup. And, with the added bonus, that we now don't have to give minutes to Berahino, or whoever else we could've realistically got as a second choice striker, to keep them match fit and actually ready to step in the odd game if necessary.

I'm convinced that Chadli, in our setup, with our style of football, could do a better job than a Berahino up front, as a stand in for Kane.

I explicitly said that we don't have a backup for him that can do what Kane does when he's playing like he is at the moment. I remain convinced, however, that with our current squad we have just as good backup for him as we'd have had we bought West Broms second choice striker to provide the backup. And, with the added bonus, that we now don't have to give minutes to Berahino, or whoever else we could've realistically got as a second choice striker, to keep them match fit and actually ready to step in the odd game if necessary.

I'm convinced that Chadli, in our setup, with our style of football, could do a better job than a Berahino up front, as a stand in for Kane.

Ok if you're being specific about Beharino then fair enough as I'm not sure he was ever worth £25m either! However, if he was a Poch choice then how do we know that he wouldn't have been getting the absolute best out of him, knew what he wanted from him in our system etc? We were supposed to believe we were only targeting who the manager wanted and we're all waxing lyrical about the miracles he's working so, it's a bit selective to now say it's a good job we didn't get him just because we didn't and haven't suffered as much as we could've......yet.

Back
Top Bottom