January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's 26. Barely old at all. He could do a real job for us really. I'm not sure what his pace and movement is like now, but you never forget how to finish.
He's lost his pace, and his actual results have been poor. He's not the player he promised to be. Nor do we need a finisher. We need a forward who fits the system. If you can't press as required, Spurs won't take you. No passengers.

He's lost his pace, and his actual results have been poor. He's not the player he promised to be. Nor do we need a finisher. We need a forward who fits the system. If you can't press as required, Spurs won't take you. No passengers.

I don't think it's suffice to say that he doesn't fit the system. For all we know he could be a player who Poch/Mitchell think can be molded into something new, something better. I don't watch much brazillian football, but I'm sure their scouts do. Maybe since going back to Brazil Pato has been working harder on his fitness and the such to try and reach the promise he once had? I think he has good experience and could come in. He fits the "experienced player" who won't cost too much aspect everyone thinks we need. And he has led the line plenty of times before.

I'd rather take a 5-10 million punt on Pato being a worthwhile backup as opposed to a 20-30 million punt on Berahino hopefully not being the next Andros Townsend.

With regards to Poch, I'm not worried at this stage. There's only a handfull or so jobs that would be a step up for him. And quite a few of them I cannot see being the right fit for Poch (and I think, he knows it). Real Madrid is the best example of this. The presidency at that club is won by promising fans huge signings with players with huge egos following. I somehow cannot see Poch getting Ronaldo & co buying into his philosophy, and much less see Poch telling Perez (or whoever will be president): "No, I don't want the 150 million superstar, you promised to get elected. They won't run enough", and getting away with it. The only place I could really see us losing him to is Barca (and maybe Bayern). Imagine what Poch could do with Barca's academy combined with the financial muscle to buy a few world class players with the right attitude. Frightening! Does someone with better understanding of Spanish football than me know whether his history with Espanyol would rule him out?

Unfortunately i can't see anyone ever turning down the opportunity to manage the biggest team in the world. They were saying on Talk Shit that he was on the short list to take over after Guardiola when he left Barca.

Perfect situation for us: Benitez will be gone at the end of the season and Mourinho is free to step back in. Most of the personalities he had a problem with last time will have gone and he has unfinished business.

One thought I've just had: think about any possible transfer (specifically of a new striker) from the perspective of the player.

What young striker wouldn't want to join us right now? We're playing great, aren't too far from the top, clearly have a fantastic squad unity, have a young manager who is consistently getting the best out of each player (above and beyond what we expected in some cases).
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, any striker coming in would be just behind Kane in the pecking order - so assuming we don't fuck up the FA cup and Europa league massively, they'd already get a good chance to showcase their talents.

So yeah, if the blackbox threw up a striker target full of potential then I'd have thought we'd be able to attract them.

While I think it's unlikely, I'm intrigued by a £10m (ish) punt on Pato. He's certainly recorded a lot of starts over the last three seasons and a half decent scoring ratio (about 1 in 3). I don't think we specifically need a like-for-like replacement for Kane, just someone who can replace him for the last 20 minutes in matches where he's looked very tired at times. While Pato doesn't have the pace any more, his technical skills could do a lot of damage in the later parts of matches.

*edit* might have been harsh on the pace part. Most reports suggest his pace is fine.

Last edited:
Pato is shit. Can't even hack it anymore in the Brazilian league. Corinthians are desperate to be rid of him, which should raise alarm bells.

We 'just' need a striker who can finish one-on-ones... when having P-L-E-N-T-Y of time to think about what he's gonna do...
sadly/frustratingly, I'd say that's Kane's one weak spot.

He's a lethal finisher... he can hold the ball up superbly well for others, and has a mean deadball on him.
But as yesterday shows, when he has TOO much time to think, he seems to lose all that confidence.

Dunno who would fit that bill tbh, it feels like we've moved on from Berahino...
but seriously, a striker who can confidently finish the one-on-ones would pretty much complete us!

I don't think it's suffice to say that he doesn't fit the system. For all we know he could be a player who Poch/Mitchell think can be molded into something new, something better. I don't watch much brazillian football, but I'm sure their scouts do. Maybe since going back to Brazil Pato has been working harder on his fitness and the such to try and reach the promise he once had? I think he has good experience and could come in. He fits the "experienced player" who won't cost too much aspect everyone thinks we need. And he has led the line plenty of times before.

I'd rather take a 5-10 million punt on Pato being a worthwhile backup as opposed to a 20-30 million punt on Berahino hopefully not being the next Andros Townsend.
We have seen no reports of scouting him. We know that Pochettino and Mitchell have a defined template of forwards they like (they must be able to play up top, or wide, and have plenty of pace). Pato does not fit that profile. He's also outside the age range they look at. Pochettino doesn't care about getting experience. He wants attitude and work ethic.

This is an agent trying to flog a player.

You're going off an awful lot of maybes on a player that does not seem to fit our criteria.

We have seen no reports of scouting him. We know that Pochettino and Mitchell have a defined template of forwards they like (they must be able to play up top, or wide, and have plenty of pace).

I used to watch the Brazilian league a fair bit, but haven't done so in recent seasons. However, most of the reports I've just read about Pato would suggest that his pace is fine and he's playing in both the roles you mention.

This one is a little left field, and far from likely (almost pointless suggesting it in fact) but Lukaku is a quality player and can play as a wide forward.

The problems are three fold: Everton won't want to sell for anything less than a club record fee. Lukaku, I think, has ambitions to be at a team who are already established as one of the games top tier clubs. He might not have the work rate required.

In fact I am wasting everyone's time. Sorry.

I'm starting to realise that our new transfer policy means that we probably won't see a "big name" type player coming in during this window that will make an immediate impact on the team.

Our new strategy seem to be buying players with raw talent that will buy into the philosophy and be shaped and molded over a season or two.

It's a shame because i think that if we strengthened our first team in one or two positions then we could really do something special this season.

Mind you, it's still better than our old transfer policy of just buying whoever is performing well at a team in the bottom half of the table regardless of whether they will suit our system or not.

I just hope that another short sighted window doesn't leave us spending all summer worrying that we're gonna lose Hugo or Eriksen or even Poch (The Madrid job will be up soon no doubt).
Na, don't think Poch limits himself to youngsters

We have seen no reports of scouting him. We know that Pochettino and Mitchell have a defined template of forwards they like (they must be able to play up top, or wide, and have plenty of pace). Pato does not fit that profile. He's also outside the age range they look at. Pochettino doesn't care about getting experience. He wants attitude and work ethic.

This is an agent trying to flog a player.

You're going off an awful lot of maybes on a player that does not seem to fit our criteria.

So far our criteria has been "look at wingers who can score" really. It wouldn't hurt Poch to consider a plan B though. Also, Pato has played out wide before. I doubt he's half as quick as he was. But he was a great dribbler and as things stand, Lamela Eriksen, Dembele, Chadli, Kane and Son don't necessarily scream out "We're going to sprint as hard as we can at you"

Well then, we shall see.

Yeah, fair enough. Like I said, I haven't seen him in years so for all I know he could be a cripple - just reporting back what I've been reading.... and since I predicted earlier this year we wouldn't get close to +25 GD I'd hate to be wrong twice in a season :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom