January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far our criteria has been "look at wingers who can score" really. It wouldn't hurt Poch to consider a plan B though. Also, Pato has played out wide before. I doubt he's half as quick as he was. But he was a great dribbler and as things stand, Lamela Eriksen, Dembele, Chadli, Kane and Son don't necessarily scream out "We're going to sprint as hard as we can at you"
Pochettino and Mitchell have shown they're not interested in Plan B, just as many guys who can do Plan A well as possible.

It's not about the guys signed before Pochettino and Mitchell got here, it's about who they've shown interest in. Every forward they scouted in summer were young players comfortable both wide and central, and who had pace. I don't think they consider people who don't fit that profile.

We'll see what happens, but I am very skeptical given the evidence we have.

Anyone know much about Michy Batshuayi? I haven't seen him linked to us, but it seems as if he has the characteristics needed. Has played as a lone striker, knows how to press, he's young, and he's Belgian (which isn't a real characteristic, but it must help).

Pochettino and Mitchell have shown they're not interested in Plan B, just as many guys who can do Plan A well as possible.

It's not about the guys signed before Pochettino and Mitchell got here, it's about who they've shown interest in. Every forward they scouted in summer were young players comfortable both wide and central, and who had pace. I don't think they consider people who don't fit that profile.

We'll see what happens, but I am very skeptical given the evidence we have.

Exactly what evidence have you been presented with? A few stats from Wikipedia?

You do realise you don't work for the club, don't you?

The way you harp on with such definitive, you would think Mitchell directly reports to your good self. Why do you think you have such a good handle on poch's transfer policy? Yes, the club has come out and explained its general transfer policy, but they're not going to give every detail away to us fans, I'm sure they've kept a few cards under the table.

To suggest a player at 26 is too old? Well that is simply laughable. It's plain to see we need back up for Kane, as he cant play 60+ 90 minutes, and although you'll offer rotation of the forward players as strategy, who exactly would you play there at present? Son, lamela, eriksen?

I think realistically levy, who I'm sure has the final say, would love a player for the £10m mark, rather than the £25m. If that's what poch has to work with, I'm sure he'll say, yes please, rather than, nah, Harry can play every minute of every game for us this season.

How do you know we haven't sent scouts to Brazil? How do you know Mitchell hasn't been presented with positive reports of playing style and suitability?

I don't know if we'll sign Pato, but I've got to think it's a possibility.

The way you carry on with such affirmative statements, I am inclined to believe you are the new BEN but instead of hiding in a tree, you're crumpled up in one of poch's filing cabinets.

I hate to use YouTube clips, but this guy really does seem to be an all-around striker. There must be a reason he hasn't been picked up by a bigger team though...

Never wanted to comment on him because, frankly, I only know him from being pretty darned good on FIFA.

He does sound pacey and promising by all accounts. Would he be interested in coming?

I'm going to have to watch a few of his matches. His defensively contribution is apparently not the greatest, but finding an exact replica of Kane is going to be next to impossible. We'll have to ask ourselves which part of Kane's game we're willing to lose. Really solid defensive strikers aren't very common either, so that's probably the area we'll lose.

Exactly what evidence have you been presented with? A few stats from Wikipedia?

You do realise you don't work for the club, don't you?

The way you harp on with such definitive, you would think Mitchell directly reports to your good self. Why do you think you have such a good handle on poch's transfer policy? Yes, the club has come out and explained its general transfer policy, but they're not going to give every detail away to us fans, I'm sure they've kept a few cards under the table.

To suggest a player at 26 is too old? Well that is simply laughable. It's plain to see we need back up for Kane, as he cant play 60+ 90 minutes, and although you'll offer rotation of the forward players as strategy, who exactly would you play there at present? Son, lamela, eriksen?

I think realistically levy, who I'm sure has the final say, would love a player for the £10m mark, rather than the £25m. If that's what poch has to work with, I'm sure he'll say, yes please, rather than, nah, Harry can play every minute of every game for us this season.

How do you know we haven't sent scouts to Brazil? How do you know Mitchell hasn't been presented with positive reports of playing style and suitability?

I don't know if we'll sign Pato, but I've got to think it's a possibility.

The way you carry on with such affirmative statements, I am inclined to believe you are the new BEN but instead of hiding in a tree, you're crumpled up in one of poch's filing cabinets.
We don't know that we haven't sent scouts to Brazil, but we do know who the club made offers for in the summer.

Ings, Martial, Werner (also back in January), Batshuayi, Son, N'Jie, Perez and Berahino were the forwards we tried to buy, or bought. They all have common criteria. Based on that, it's pretty clear what Pochettino and Mitchell value in a forward. They're all young (23 or younger), all have pace, and all have experience playing both wide and up-top. Based on that, there's your criteria for potential targets. I am not saying that anyone not meeting that criteria is an impossibility, but Pochettino has said that he would rather not buy, than buy someone he didn't want, or didn't think was the right guy.

He could just be lying, but I don't think he is.

We 'just' need a striker who can finish one-on-ones... when having P-L-E-N-T-Y of time to think about what he's gonna do...
sadly/frustratingly, I'd say that's Kane's one weak spot.

He's a lethal finisher... he can hold the ball up superbly well for others, and has a mean deadball on him.
But as yesterday shows, when he has TOO much time to think, he seems to lose all that confidence.

Dunno who would fit that bill tbh, it feels like we've moved on from Berahino...
but seriously, a striker who can confidently finish the one-on-ones would pretty much complete us!

Fulham's Dembele would fit that bill, he's only 19 and a real talent. But I don't know whether he would fit Poch's pressing style. I think who we get in will depend a bit on where we are come January. If we are in with a chance of the title then a known name like Pato might actaully make sense. But I'm not sure he is ideal to be honest. I'd probably rather have a young player with the right atributes who Poch can improve and who can step up and play if Kane got injured.

Fulham's Dembele would fit that bill, he's only 19 and a real talent. But I don't know whether he would fit Poch's pressing style. I think who we get in will depend a bit on where we are come January. If we are in with a chance of the title then a known name like Pato might actaully make sense. But I'm not sure he is ideal to be honest. I'd probably rather have a young player with the right atributes who Poch can improve and who can step up and play if Kane got injured.
I still have my hopes up for Berahino

This has been a big debate though. Most young players won't be ready to step up if Kane gets injured. This is the bracket we're in right now. We'll miss out on most wonderkids to bigger clubs, so we really need to be looking at other clubs back up players or players with a lot of potential who maybe aren't quite ready. The other problem being just how much Poch asks of his players, most strikers/forwards aren't hugely used to pushing nearly half as hard as we do.

I think this is exactly why we're looking at Pato... an experienced striker (can't quite believe he's only 26!) But someone who may well be happy to accept he won't play every game...
(Berahino has already shown he CAN be the type of player who would knock on the managers door if he's unhappy... then Facetwatting about his displeasure afterwards!)

The most important aspect of any 2nd striker signing is that they're fit and ready to hit the ground running when called upon... which could be at any point during a game..

This has been a big debate though. Most young players won't be ready to step up if Kane gets injured. This is the bracket we're in right now. We'll miss out on most wonderkids to bigger clubs, so we really need to be looking at other clubs back up players or players with a lot of potential who maybe aren't quite ready. The other problem being just how much Poch asks of his players, most strikers/forwards aren't hugely used to pushing nearly half as hard as we do.

True, that's where we are. I don't want to disrupt Kane either; best to get a name he already rates (difficult to get in our situation) or someone younger than him with confidence and right attitude.

Thing is, if all goes well and Kane stays fit then whoever we sign won't get a lot of game time.

True, that's where we are. I don't want to disrupt Kane either; best to get a name he already rates (difficult to get in our situation) or someone younger than him with confidence and right attitude.

Thing is, if all goes well and Kane stays fit then whoever we sign won't get a lot of game time.

The right attitude is most important for me. I still think n jie can be good for us if given the time and support. A lot of raw talent. Hope we get the most from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom