Man United away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Average position

2nSYlG6.png

We really shut up shop on the right hand side, that's where Man Utd really hurt as last season, this time we had an extra body in there with Dier and instead of Townsend we had Dembele tracking back.

Nobody is fully match fit at this point, because they haven't been playing competitive games, and we've probably been through a period of very hard training.

We had a cd as dm for several reasons, the main one probably being Mason's injury. Other than that is the fact that Alli hasn't been with us for a long time, that Poch sees something in Dier as a dm and wants to try it out, and probably a strategic decision to be a bit more defensive at Old Trafford to try to control the game - which except for the horrendous ball give aways worked very well.

Dembele was probably played as amr because he's the best defensive alternative amongst our ams. He is better as a ball winner, and better at helping us keep the ball, than the other ams, but not as dangerous when we counter attack or as good at playing through balls as Lamela. Again, a strategic decision, as he helped us control the game. And keep in mind that Townsend and Pritchard are injured, and Lamela just recently joined the squad.

We're no less ready than the other teams.

Everton drew at home to Watford. United were outplayed for big parts of the game, but got a lucky win, at home. Chelsea drew at home against Swansea.
But Dembele is an Attacking midfielder. Only thing is he hasn't been for us and was really only at AZ, managed 6 a season average there. He was the one bought to replace Modric.
Fulham he scored only 5 league goals and 5 assists in 2 seasons, but still more than what he has done here.
With us he has managed 3 league goals and 5 assists in 3 seasons.
He can't last 90 mins. His only asset is he is strong on the ball and in the tackle really.

Just back from the morgue. What a fucking cracking away day! Our fans where fucking brilliant today, from about the 55th minute we sung non-stop, all 3k of us didn't shut up until outside the ground, proud day to be Spurs!

Not a massively exciting game over the 90min. Right up to the goal we murdered them. Heads dropped which we need to watch, maybe because we gave it everything and had nothing to show for it, it would suggest that maybe not everyone in the team believes in "our way", time will tell. Despite it looking crap and unadventurous our play for the last 10/15min of the first half was intelligent, some of our players were blowing out of their arses so despite it being boring and unadventurous we controlled that part of the game and went in at half time still well in the game with them not having a single shot on target.

2nd half again we were intelligent (not doing a Spurs and going gun hoe away at Utd). We controlled the game but created little but saved ourselves until final 10mins which we dominated and should have scored, why didn't Chadli shoot!

Alderweireld MOTM for me. Despite our ability to gift goals our defence was very good today, they only had one shot on gaol from outside the box, so massive improvement. Feel sorry for Walker, while not vintage he had the hardest job out of anyone on our side today having to deal with that diving cunt and over the whole game he won that battle. I haven't seen it back but how fucking unlucky was that to score the OG, he covered some much ground and made the tackle only for it to go in.

Dembele is a changed player, looks physical leaner this year and was great on the ball and closing down all over the pitch, much more zip to his play.

On the negatives, Bentaleb but the kid is a fighter and I trust him to short his shit out. Eriksen, Pritchard must be chomping at the bit. My gut tells me Pritchard will be stronger on the ball and more creative too. Chadli worked hard today and played well without the ball, but with the ball he was very disappointing.

A draw would have just about been the right result but if we take our chances the game should have been a comfortable win as at no point in that game did they have us penned or threatened us. Jammy cunts!.
I agree with the Dembele bit. I have said before that Poch has done a good job with him. We all know he cannot last 90 mins, but he looks fitter, slimmer and has not suffered form injuries like he has done under previous coaches.
Still needs to turn it on for us, as he has been very disappointing. However, the sight of him running from deep first half to collect a return pass was what we need from him.
I just hope that he can adapt and use that left foot to good effect. It's so frustrating watching him do fuck all.
Hopefully sometime over the season it will all click for him. It's about time.

The manager we have will give us boring football that ultimately will be successful but it will take at least 2 more transfer windows to get the team he wants. I don't enjoy watching us anymore , it's just so drab.

It'll take far more than that if we're going to try to make a profit in each window and always plan for 2-3 weeks after the season actually starts.

Maybe if Eriksen would have put that lob away it would have been a different game.
As a team we need to finish the chances we have and not gift goals.
Story of our season last year.
There are not that many good finishers in the side. They may do it in training, but it doesn't transmit into games.
Pock seems to have drilled in the offensive side. What we need now is a few players who can finish naturally, like taking shots and have the ability to do so and refine the technique of the ones we have got.
There is no doubting Chadli, Eriksen, Kanes and even Mason and Lamelas goal scoring ability, but it has to come as instinct when they get the chance. It's mad that the only person who does do that is Townsend and he's quite pants at it.
Chances will be few and far between.
I'd like to see our players doing more of what carrot did v Milan the other day. Not taking one more touch and maybe looking for a pass, when you get in that Zone put it away instinctively

We're too slow in our build up, and we have been for some time. We lack the creativity to unpick defences when the opposition has 10 men back. Pace is cheaper than creativity - let's buy some. Also we'd be better to watch.

It'll take far more than that if we're going to try to make a profit in each window and always plan for 2-3 weeks after the season actually starts.
Nobody has finished their business yet, bar Liverpool & Watford.
Remember the PL kicked of a week earlier this year, but the transfer window didn't.
We have sold 7 players and brought in 3 since July 1st. Name me one club who has had to sell 7 players?
We still plan on selling at least 2 more imo and the window has 3 weeks left.
If this would have been a regular season there would still be a week to kick off.

Can you not understand that we need money with what's going on and won't be spending much. If we make money so what? As long as it is invested into the club.
I don't think Lewis and Co are living a life of luxury on the profits of us mate.
Have a read; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26365955
Liverpool spent more money than us last season, didn't finish above us. So did near enough everyone below us.
We are not on a par with the spending of the 4 above us mate. So, don't bring them into the equation Can you not understand that.
Woolwich did fairly well without spending too much since 2000. Why cannot we?
We have never been massive spenders, and we ain't going to spend money we have not got. Especially now. We have to pay our way, unlike Spam.

Anyway, we didn't wait until the last mutes in 13/14 or last year really. Fazio and Stambouli came in late because Saints would not let MS go, our Is choice CB Moreno broke his leg and the back up Mussachio had third party ownership problems.
It never stopped Spam, but it was a no no for us.

Back from Manchester after a round trip of 10 hours that should have been around half that... felt very weird that it was already the start of the football season again. OT always impresses me, even though I've been a few times recently. They're fans were actually quite good and made a decent noise for what must have been at least... 5 minutes? Then they were pretty quiet except for maybe 3-4 happy clapper moments throughout the whole game. Our support seemed pretty decent and genuinely played a part in lifting the team, especially in the second half when we were looking utterly clueless and exhausted. It was nice to get a decent acknowledgment from the players afterwards. OT is a friendly place to go nowadays. It's a bit like Fulham but on a much larger scale.

Overall, we had enough chances to score at least once, and they were lucky to win. Neither side impressed much (both looked tired and rusty) but we should take some confidence for more than matching them at their place. But it does piss me off that we are, as ever, far from 'ready' at the start of a season. Our squad remains light, the players were knackered, certain individuals (e.g. Bentaleb - poor guy had a 'mare) were so far off being sharp enough for competitive matches that it shows our pre-season circus to be just that. If we have another sh*t August that shafts us at the end of the season, well, I guess that's the way now. Maybe they should make all matches in August half price for fans... given that no teams seem properly ready yet?

Oh, and our home kit looks shit even in matches. Too much blue and red. We're not Crystal Palace...

Haven't really read through this thread, but I can expect some off you have already slagged off Bentaleb. Yes, he was shit today. But have some patience, for god's sake. A good amount of fans voted him as the player of the season. The dude is 20 and had to work hard, offensively and defensively, as Eriksen and Chadli are both to lazy to work back. I've seriously want to see Pritch and N'Jie instead of them both.

Apart from that, this game wasn't unimportant. It doesn't matter if this would have been the first or the fifth match of the season. You can lose to the top teams away - aslong as we don't fuck up against Brom, Newcastle or Stoke at home. Those are the games we HAVE to win.

I didn't think we would get a win, was hopeful for a draw.

Just sort of guts me that we had them completely on the back foot , and I mean completely, for the first 20 and then one mistake gives them a goal and we completely lost our mojo for the rest of the half.

Still, was impressed we contained them to one shot on goal.

Romero....that guy is fucking awful.

Van Gaal's expression when they got the goal, looked like he had whiff of bad cheese.:dawsonmean:

Haven't really read through this thread, but I can expect some off you have already slagged off Bentaleb. Yes, he was shit today. But have some patience, for god's sake. A good amount of fans voted him as the player of the season. The dude is 20 and had to work hard, offensively and defensively, as Eriksen and Chadli are both to lazy to work back.
Not slagged off - just observed that he cost us the game and was terrible. This isn't a fucking garden party mate. Chadli is lazy, Eriksen isn't. Neither of them were any good though, but hey, they're in their 20's too, so all good.

Just sort of guts me that we had them completely on the back foot , and I mean completely, for the first 20 and then one mistake gives them a goal and we completely lost our mojo for the rest of the half.

Still, was impressed we contained them to one shot on goal.

We have quite a lot of weak players. Ok, Bentaleb cost us, but to just fold like that was weird. It was as if some of them thought 'ok fine, a goal down, this is more like it should be'. I don't think any of them prepared for winning the game, and the manager has to shoulder some of that. Nobody can tell me Utd were great, they weren't.

Nobody has finished their business yet, bar Liverpool & Watford.
Remember the PL kicked of a week earlier this year, but the transfer window didn't.
We have sold 7 players and brought in 3 since July 1st. Name me one club who has had to sell 7 players?
We still plan on selling at least 2 more imo and the window has 3 weeks left.
If this would have been a regular season there would still be a week to kick off.

Can you not understand that we need money with what's going on and won't be spending much. If we make money so what? As long as it is invested into the club.
I don't think Lewis and Co are living a life of luxury on the profits of us mate.
Have a read; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26365955
Liverpool spent more money than us last season, didn't finish above us. So did near enough everyone below us.
We are not on a par with the spending of the 4 above us mate. So, don't bring them into the equation Can you not understand that.
Woolwich did fairly well without spending too much since 2000. Why cannot we?
We have never been massive spenders, and we ain't going to spend money we have not got. Especially now. We have to pay our way, unlike Spam.

Anyway, we didn't wait until the last mutes in 13/14 or last year really. Fazio and Stambouli came in late because Saints would not let MS go, our Is choice CB Moreno broke his leg and the back up Mussachio had third party ownership problems.
It never stopped Spam, but it was a no no for us.

Bore off mate, nobody said spend like the top 4.
It's a fucking joke to have one striker on our books that we have any intention of playing, we are having to use a CB as a DM in game one because of one injury.

If today didn't fully demonstrate the issues then what will? Dressing up a loss as a good loss, an unlucky loss, a loss we deserve because we're not worthy of Man U, it's all bollocks, it was a loss. Everybody saying how fit we were at the end, how Man Utd were disjointed, didn't cause us many problems and so on......oh great.....yet we still lost!

All that says to me is they were there for the taking yet we weren't good enough and, had no options to change the game. Lamela isn't ready and who's to say he is actually going to come good. Apart from that who do we put on to help chase a game, inject some extra energy and/or creativity? Trippier, Wimmer.....Carrol??

It's lightweight, it's mis-balanced and it's been proven today already. Oh but it's Man Utd so no drama, we should know our place.

I'm sorry, I really hope we see unprecedented progress from youngsters who become amazing and we end up punching way above our weight, it's hope, chances are heavily against it.

We're gambling a lot. We've bought ONE player into our first XI, we've got 3-4 of it (Lloris, Rose?, Mason, Lamela) injured/unfit already.

We didn't roll over today but we gifted the game away and never really looked like scoring much. Our travelling fans were the highlight.

But the way, the window opens on 1st July, you can scout and enquire outside of that.

We have quite a lot of weak players. Ok, Bentaleb cost us, but to just fold like that was weird. It was as if some of them thought 'ok fine, a goal down, this is more like it should be'. I don't think any of them prepared for winning the game, and the manager has to shoulder some of that. Nobody can tell me Utd were great, they weren't.

Yeah it was weird. I don't know if was so much that we gave up as that we were just so psychologically cold cocked by the goal, an own goal even. It was like they completely forgot what was absolutely working just a minute before. A truly 'what the duck just happened' moment. It took us another 60 minutes to get that edge back. Was hoping we would come out of the first half barnstorming again but it took the changes to get any heat going.

Conversely anyone can argue why werent our players match fit? Why did they look fatiqued? Why did we have a cd as dm? Why was Dembele an attacking mid if playing him there was so impeding.
Why are we never ready for the first month of the season?

We were way fitter than them. They were cramping up and it was all us in the end. A few made sniper comments about our preseason but it makes no sense considering how strong we were at the end.

Poch has us fit as fuck. It's his best quality for me as a coach.

Like Lennon you mean!

:lennon:

How about you go and find a match thread where I call Lennon a cunt (like someone called Bentaleb) or tell Soldafo to fuck off (like someone said to Bentaleb)?

Let me save you the search. You will never find me cunting off players in match threads.

I'll talk about their form but I won't call them cunts or tell them to fuck off like people did today.

And after telling Bentaleb he can fuck off, Totti was back an hour later telling fans not to melt. Gotta love those fake chest beaters.

Back
Top Bottom