New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You are aware that Wembley already hosts 3 NFL games a year, right? If they're prepared to do that, and having seen that the British public have an appetite for it, I see no reason why they wouldn't give strong consideration to us hosting a team permanently.
No, I'm not actually, so thanks for info. I have no interest in the NFL, except as it potentially affects us. I'd be delighted to know further details. How can that work, playing three league games in Wembley. Is it just one team that plays those three games as 'home games'. Do the other clubs complain? To me it would be a farce if the equivalent happened in the Prem, (three games played in Moscow or San Francisco or wherever and thankfully it's not allowed.)

Would the point of setting up a full time London NFL team not be to make money rather than create a competitive team?
I think you're underestimating the extent to which the NFL works to make the playing field for teams as level as possible. There's an old joke that the NFL's ideal season is one in which every team finishes .500%.

It would make money, but it would be a huge fucking pain in the ass for players and teams. It's one thing as an occasional exhibition match, but a whole franchise is a different thing entirely.

Hi Shawry, I've no doubt that Levy is always looking out for deals which meet one of more of the five points you make. I can see the financial logic in NFL at the Lane, what I don't see is the logisitics.

As I've already said just as the Prem wouldn't allow any team to play their home games in Moscow or Prague, or Kiev and Istanbul come to that, so the idea of a home ground in the NFL that would be about 5,000 miles away for some travelling teams makes no sense whatsoever to me. That's before we get onto pitch and stadium issues.
For me, one of the things I would be most fearful of are the pitch issues. Dimensions are totally different and there is a lot of space required on the sidelines. However it would work, the effects could be rough on the pitch, move fans back further, or require some other obnoxious way to make it work.

For me, one of the things I would be most fearful of are the pitch issues. Dimensions are totally different and there is a lot of space required on the sidelines. However it would work, the effects could be rough on the pitch, move fans back further, or require some other obnoxious way to make it work.

I can't see a combination of NFL and terraces built close to the pitch.
I want a stadium where it's possible to make real noise.

If we were to share with the NFL it wouldn't be ours right? And I don't mean in the financial sense. I don't mind the odd extra curricular event to bring in some cash but tweaking the design to accommodate another sport is just wrong. As ILSpur ILSpur says, it would mean moving the crowd away from the pitch - I can hardly think of anything worse. (well I can, obviously)

If we were to share with the NFL it wouldn't be ours right? And I don't mean in the financial sense. I don't mind the odd extra curricular event to bring in some cash but tweaking the design to accommodate another sport is just wrong. As ILSpur ILSpur says, it would mean moving the crowd away from the pitch - I can hardly think of anything worse. (well I can, obviously)
An NFL field is about 20 meters shorter in width than a typical premier league pitch but I'm not sure if that would be enough or if they would have to move stands back. I want this to be our home and ours only. Once again this is all speculation so hopefully it doesn't pan out

Noise is not the problem. Most football clubs would be fucking lucky to have the noise that a lot of NFL and college football stadiums generate.

I'm not talking about that at all. In order to get a noisy new WHL, the crowd must be close to the action.

Excuse me, not aimed at you VirginiaSpur VirginiaSpur , more a general point, but I don't fucking care what kind of atmosphere NFL generate.

Ok then, that's a valid opinion. You just didn't clarify that very well.

That's fair. In some bigger new stadiums, like Wembley, the noise just vanish into the air. It's essential that everything is done to make the new WHL keep the sound as good as possible, especially from our Lillywhite wall.

An NFL field is about 20 meters shorter in width than a typical premier league pitch but I'm not sure if that would be enough or if they would have to move stands back. I want this to be our home and ours only. Once again this is all speculation so hopefully it doesn't pan out
And an NFL field is longer - 120 yds to Wembley's 115 yds with presumably a bit of a run off beyond. This would push the 'end' stands back as well.

Where is this whole notion of NFL at the Lane coming from? My understanding is that if a team does relocate to London the initial desire was to use the Olympic Stadium or otherwise continue at Wembley. This talk of the Lane being used is nothing more than paper talk because the new Lane will be ready around about the time of the proposed relocation. 2+2=5 as usual.

If a NFL team relocates than all the branding and marketing comes with it. Are we going to share the stadium decoration, the club shops and so on? I can't see any fans settling for that and, for that reason, I don't think Levy would do it.

Where is this whole notion of NFL at the Lane coming from? My understanding is that if a team does relocate to London the initial desire was to use the Olympic Stadium or otherwise continue at Wembley. This talk of the Lane being used is nothing more than paper talk because the new Lane will be ready around about the time of the proposed relocation. 2+2=5 as usual.

If a NFL team relocates than all the branding and marketing comes with it. Are we going to share the stadium decoration, the club shops and so on? I can't see any fans settling for that and, for that reason, I don't think Levy would do it.
No idea where it's coming from. I am just saying I'm opposed to the idea.

We have the right name for an NFL team ... London Hotspurs. They won't want a United or City that's for sure.

shockingly, I kind of agree with Greaves on The NFL thing. I suspect if they really want a full time franchise, they will try for a "London Olympic" in stratford. Plenty of space round the pitch, plenty of available dates to work round. and the cash to make sure they gert classed as preferential tenants, specially if the stories that Wet Spam effectively only have the right to rent it on match days only are true

Back
Top Bottom