Tottenham Hotspur v Hull City (23rd Nov)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AGAIN, one of you cunts nicked my programme down at the front, after the second goal. It happened at Villa and again yesterday. Getting wound up now. That's £6 down the swanny - around a months wage in Lancashire.

We seem to take a while to warm up so my solution is if it's a 3pm kick off ( yeah right) then send them out at 2:20 to play against an imaginary team & then by the time it's kick off we'll be scoring goals for fun. Verts could perfect his falling over , Soldado could maybe introduce himself to the goal posts .... It really is a fail safe win , win tactic

AGAIN, one of you cunts nicked my programme down at the front, after the second goal. It happened at Villa and again yesterday. Getting wound up now. That's £6 down the swanny - around a months wage in Lancashire.

Have you considered contacting Bob Geldof to set up a charity?

What I saw was a Spurs side which struggled at the back and in creating good chances. Hull exploited the spaces wide and got in behind us. This makes the CB look awful. This happens regular which will stop when Walker is fit. Davis I thought grew into the game and the more he plays the better he gets. I thought it was a very good second half performance. We created chances in front of goal. . Chiri at RB was very good (some weeks back I wanted him out)? We were pn top and Hull resorted to thuggery and had only themselves to blame with players being booked and SOff. Well done Spurs. Some good players to return, it can only get better. And a mention for Lennon, also did very well when he came on.

Support that mention for Lennon. Got the assist for the second goal and Kane should have scored from his ball across.

Gave a different dimension to our attacks.

What happened to the geezer who joined Eriksen's goal celebrations?

It may or not have been deliberate but second half today as exactly how you play against a team that is overly psyched up, they get angry and start getting cards if you needle them, it worked

Not meaning to stereotype, but isn't that precisely the way Argentina have played in the past?? There's a cynical edge to the undoubted quality....
Poch's influence finally paying dividends???
Albeit not 'The Spurs Way'... But what is anymore???

Not meaning to stereotype, but isn't that precisely the way Argentina have played in the past?? There's a cynical edge to the undoubted quality....
Poch's influence finally paying dividends???
Albeit not 'The Spurs Way'... But what is anymore???

Not so sure anymore.....all I know is that win saved my fucking week from being dreadful.

Also, dont forget Verts has history...

BU9DaOACMAA7M-o.jpg

:eriksenlol:

Support that mention for Lennon. Got the assist for the second goal and Kane should have scored from his ball across.

Gave a different dimension to our attacks.

Interesting debate, Lennon and Townsend for me are perhaps not good enough wingers maybe long term unless they can step up more but what yesterday does show is that having a winger is crucial as you can change the game up if it's congested in the middle.

Woolwich have no real wingers and it's easy for most teams to deal with as they can just fill up the centre of the pitch, you cannot do that with a winger on, not saying we use a winger every game but we do need that option when the opposition just congests the middle. In fact many goons main complaint is the way Woolwich don't use their flanks, I don't want us to become a tippy tappy team like them without using the flanks as we will end up one dimensional.

Still much as Lennon has been off his game I have to give him credit, good performance, hopefully might start a revival.

I'm very much all up for a long run of both Soldado and Kane playing together, but ...
Who misses out then?

As long as Chadli is out (which shouldn't be for more than 2 weeks at the most), that ST partnership is fine. But if Chadli is fit, he plays imo. He's intelligent, a fighter, and he's scoring loads of goals.

It's a tough one because then we have Eriksen and Lamela.

Chadli is an odd player, doesn't do much midfield work but is great at stealing a goal, he is also big and powerful, he seems almost like a centre forward being played in midfield, I do wonder if him and Kane could play up top together. That might play to his strengths (goal scoring, good in the air) and nullify his weaknesses (turns to slow to be a winger, can be quiet at the midfield stuff). Don't know just a thought but he just doesn't look like a winger to me.

Sad thing about that win is that it's our best performance in a long time! Even 1-0 down in the first half it was a lot better than the joke 1st first half at Villa or any of the crap we've served up at the Lane. We looked like we attacked with pace and had a chance to get in behind a defence for the first time in a very long time. Great sub bringing on Lennon and moving Eriksen inside, gave us some real width and stretched the 10 men.

Also on the red, if the idiot didn't kick out Jan can't go to ground. One final one Jan didn't give the red card the ref and his assistant did. Media being absolute pricks about it but if you take out the idiotic act of lashing out (Gaston's fault) and the decision to give a red (ref/linesman) it's a non-event. Those 2 parties are the ones responsible for Hull going down to 10, with the ref then being lenient not sending off Livermore!

ArcspacE ArcspacE Deadwood'sPostMatch Deadwood'sPostMatch - since you guys don't share my opinion about Paulinho looking lost and extremely insecure - I'd be very keen to hear what you feel like he added to the side once he came on. Maybe I missed something, but since I've had high hopes for him, and defended him thinking he's got the skills to succeed for us, I watched him closely with eager anticipation of a performance good enough to reclaim a spot in the starting 11 - alas I saw nothing noteworthy.

I'd really appreciate if you could highlight what I missed. Thanks!

ArcspacE ArcspacE Deadwood'sPostMatch Deadwood'sPostMatch - since you guys don't share my opinion about Paulinho looking lost and extremely insecure - I'd be very keen to hear what you feel like he added to the side once he came on. Maybe I missed something, but since I've had high hopes for him, and defended him thinking he's got the skills to succeed for us, I watched him closely with eager anticipation of a performance good enough to reclaim a spot in the starting 11 - alas I saw nothing noteworthy.

First cameo in 2 months and played 12 minutes - what did you expect?

Though he was effective - didn't put a foot wrong

Vlad misplaced at least 6-7 passes and lost possession numerous times but hey-ho

Last edited:

Dont be so hard he made 13 of his attempted 14 sideways passes and won 0 out of 0 tackles in his 15 minutes on the pitch!

Top day yesterday, a few reflections:

Dier has looked a bit lost since his cracking start to the season. He's not a fan of playing RB, looks like he wants to do a Bale, but not quite good enough for it. The rest of the team, especially Dembélé and Fazio were a tale of two halves. Two things changed the game in my opinion: Ramirez and Aaron Lennon coming on.

The red card baffled me at the time as we were stood right at the opposite end of the ground from where it happened. Having looked at it again, I don't reckon it was a red, but I disagree with those saying Vertonghen made it theatrical. He had the back of his knee taken out. Anyone that's kicked you there in the dinner queue at secondary school has done it to send you sprawling. He didn't wave for a card or anything like that. The linesman gave it, the referee agreed, and who's going to complain if it gives you an advantage?

Still nowhere near enough quality to challenge at the moment, but if we're winning games like that, at least there's an element of enjoyment. No such thrills expected this weekend.

First cameo in 2 months and played 12 minutes - what did you expect?

Though he was effective - didn't put a foot wrong
Effective how? I didn't see him complete a single pass that was longer than 2-3 meters, nor any other direction than sideways or backwards. I also saw him on at least 3 occasions standing right next to or behind one of his team mates, looking like he was hiding, hoping not to get the ball.

I don't blame him and I fully understand it takes match time to get back into the right mindset. I'm just stating it the way I saw it: For me, he didn't add anything to the team when he came on, at least not when he had the ball.

I like Paulinho based on what I saw in confederations cup and from his initial games for us, so I still harbour some belief in him - that's why it was sad to see how extremely insecure he looked. Here's to hoping a few more appearances off the bench / in europa can help him finding his confidence again.

Soldado has 6 in 11 in Europe too, it's just another way of slicing a cake.

I find it so odd that people have slated our midfield and creativity since Soldado came, but wonder why a player like him has struggled to find goals. The difference with Crouch and Soldado was playing around VDV, Modric and Bale - rather than Paulinho, Townsend and Dembele.

It wasn't a "Crouch is shit" statement, more of a point that he was hardly a "far better" player.

Alright, I just think you're bang out of order comparing Crouch and Soldado. Crouch wasn't great but he scored two of the biggest goals in recent club history.

Also, I have no problem with you standing up for Soldado but your argument is so poor. Comparing Soldado's 6 in 11 in Europa league is not comparable to Crouch's in Champions League. Plus choosing three of our least creative players and comparing them to three of our past best is ridiculous. Soldado has also got to play with Eriksen who is pretty damn decent. Finally, last night Soldado got the chance that everyone said he needs and totally missed it. Low cross with a couple yards of space about 12 yards out and dinked if softly wide.

We should all still be supporting Soldado but there's really no debate that he's been exceedingly poor almost the entire time he's been here. He has three goals this calendar year.

Back
Top Bottom