New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You should never believe anything you read in the Mail. I thought that was general common sense. It's a rehashed article with a new spin, simply designed to garner click through traffic on a day the Mail know will be busy with spurs fans checking news now for team news etc.
You are of course 100% correct. Of all people I should know that!

The stadium looks more and more like a fiasco, and I'll repeat what I've been saying for years now, how I wish we had owners like City and Chelsea have. I wonder how much longer the ENIC faithful are going to rally round them?
People died as a result of Abramovich becoming a billionaire, have some fucking respect. Football isn't about money.

The stadium looks more and more like a fiasco, and I'll repeat what I've been saying for years now, how I wish we had owners like City and Chelsea have. I wonder how much longer the ENIC faithful are going to rally round them?

do we have a smilie for "fuck me sideways"?
Ive said it before and I'll say it again. I would rather have what little bit of a soul we have left than be playing keep up with the joneses with those cunts.

How is it possible that the NFL can play @ Wembley but we can't ?

How is it possible that Woolwich can play CL @ Wembley but we can't ?

How is it possible we can't get a look in at the Olympic Stadium for a year ( or 2 ) ?

Answer to all 3.....Spurs won't pay. Money unlocks all these closed doors. End of story. Milton Keynes is only an option because it is cheap !

Act like your poor, you will be treated like a pauper. Act like a winner, hey you may win....

We are Tottenham Hotspur. End of Story. We need to act like a big club BECAUSE WE ARE !

Big clubs don't go Milton Keynes for 2 years. Going should just not be an option

We should be forcing the hand of the government regards the Olympic Stadium.

Rumours are they need £50mil (Likely from the tax payer) to finish the conversion to a football ground. Allowing Spurs to rent it for 2 seasons alongside the spammers would offset this by quite some way.

No fuckin' brainer.

The tax payer should not and does not want to pay, a football club can.

Rumours are they need £50mil (Likely from the tax payer) to finish the conversion to a football ground. Allowing Spurs to rent it for 2 seasons alongside the spammers would offset this by quite some way.

No fuckin' brainer.

Unless your West Ham. Who don't have to contribute anywhere near a fair sum. Although truth be told all they have is a right to use the Stadium 25 days a year. I hope they make them strip out their branding after every game ( which I hear they do have to do )

Unless your West Ham. Who don't have to contribute anywhere near a fair sum. Although truth be told all they have is a right to use the Stadium 25 days a year. I hope they make them strip out their branding after every game ( which I hear they do have to do )
That's what they do in Italy; the San Siro has no 'colours' as it is owned by the local council and the 'colour' is only added on match day. It would never work over here though, we are so territorial over our ground, the idea of having to share sends shivers down my spine - and not in a good way! Its bad enough we even have to do it on a temporary basis.

imagine being the guy whose job it is to put posters of Mark Noble up around the ground

Mark-Noble-008.jpg

do we have a smilie for "fuck me sideways"?
Ive said it before and I'll say it again. I would rather have what little bit of a soul we have left than be playing keep up with the joneses with those cunts.
The soul that sees us near on silent at home games that the 1882 aren't involved in? The soul that has WHL the easiest away ground to go play at? The soul that could soon see us playing home games in Milton Keynes. Our soul has been slowly been taken away by Satan
:levywtf:

People died as a result of Abramovich becoming a billionaire, have some fucking respect. Football isn't about money.
And you can guarantee Sheikh City's money is just as tainted, given their fucking track record for human rights over there.
UEFA and FIFA don't ask questions because they get a piece of the pie, and lets be honest, with sponsors like Gazprom for the CL, they can hardly take the high road!

No fuckin' brainer.

I'd rather not pay any money towards renovating West Ham's new home.

Fans were HUGELY adverse to moving to the Olympic Stadium permanently - I think we should let that one go.

And you can guarantee Sheikh City's money is just as tainted, given their fucking track record for human rights over there.
UEFA and FIFA don't ask questions because they get a piece of the pie, and lets be honest, with sponsors like Gazprom for the CL, they can hardly take the high road!

I'd rather not pay any money towards renovating West Ham's new home.

Fans were HUGELY adverse to moving to the Olympic Stadium permanently - I think we should let that one go.
Spot on mate, i kept it short for impact but for me, Chelsea and Citys trophies are beyond tainted.

I have a question...

We are told we need a bigger stadium to generate match day revenue, so we can buy better players.

Why don't we just invest the money we're using for the new stadium in new players and stay where we are?

I appreciate the financial fair play issue but City etc get round this by dressing the investment up as sponsorship.

I have a question...

We are told we need a bigger stadium to generate match day revenue, so we can buy better players.

Why don't we just invest the money we're using for the new stadium in new players and stay where we are?

I appreciate the financial fair play issue but City etc get round this by dressing the investment up as sponsorship.
You've fallen into one of the biggest traps of the modern fan... Short term thinking.

You're right, we could stick with the 36'000 stadium and spend the 400 million on great players. Except A) that isn't money in the bank, the stadium needs to be funded by various loans, and sponsorships and grants, that only come about BECAUSE its for the stadium.
B) say we spend 400 mill on a new first 11 and win the champions league... suddenly we're internationally famous. Everyone and their nan wants to support us, except... oh they can't. Our ground can only fit 36'000 in. And its old and falling apart. So when the day comes it no longer meets certain regulations so we can't use it... we have no ground. We need MORE loans to pay for the stadium we desperately need except now it costs double the price, on top of that, we're paying Harry Kane and Ryan Mason £1 million a week to keep them at the club (between them they've won the last 6 ballon dors).

I got carried away, point is, to be a BIG club... we need to become a big club. There's a reason Madrid and Barca and some of the best teams in the world... sustainability. Essentially building the new stadium is all about speculating to accumulate.

You've fallen into one of the biggest traps of the modern fan... Short term thinking.

You're right, we could stick with the 36'000 stadium and spend the 400 million on great players. Except A) that isn't money in the bank, the stadium needs to be funded by various loans, and sponsorships and grants, that only come about BECAUSE its for the stadium.
B) say we spend 400 mill on a new first 11 and win the champions league... suddenly we're internationally famous. Everyone and their nan wants to support us, except... oh they can't. Our ground can only fit 36'000 in. And its old and falling apart. So when the day comes it no longer meets certain regulations so we can't use it... we have no ground. We need MORE loans to pay for the stadium we desperately need except now it costs double the price, on top of that, we're paying Harry Kane and Ryan Mason £1 million a week to keep them at the club (between them they've won the last 6 ballon dors).

I got carried away, point is, to be a BIG club... we need to become a big club. There's a reason Madrid and Barca and some of the best teams in the world... sustainability. Essentially building the new stadium is all about speculating to accumulate.

a) I'm not talking about borrowing the same amount of money that would be needed for the new stadium. I'm talking about using the money that we do have and can generate reasonably, to invest in the club rather than a new build stadium.

b) I'm not convinced that WHL is falling down. Sure, it needs some refurb and a bit of modernising and I'm not saying we shouldn't invest in that too, as any sensible business should.

c) Are we really in danger of the ground not meeting the required FIFA/UEFA/FA etc standards? I don't think so.

What I'm really saying in essence is that I'm not convinced fully of the business case for an expensive new stadium over all other options.

I disagree that I've fallen into the trap of the modern fan. Quite the opposite, as I think my view is a more conservative, longer term view.

I don't discount a new stadium longer term but splashing money we don't have on an expensive new stadium at this stage is very risky and could set us back for a long time.

Being deduced by fanciful pictures of a shiny new stadium, packed to the rafters with 60k happy Spurs fans, watching champions league matches is far more the trap of the modern fan.

And by the way, Barca and Madrid are not just the best clubs because of their large stadia. They have benefited from massive, disproportionate TV revenue compared to their competitors, substantial financial support from local authorities and are pretty much the only show in town compared to cities like London.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom