New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes but realistically, people are not going to use our new stadium for conferences and corporate events. The Emirates is much more central and near Kings X and Euston.

The corporate hospitality at the Lane could be improved and modernised as part of a much lower cost refurb of our current stadium.
Companies definitely would use it. OK so the location isn't as convenient, but the facilities will be even better than Woolwich's, being newer. Levy will squeeze every single penny he can out of the new stadium. It'll pay itself back in < 10 years, no problem.

Companies definitely would use it. OK so the location isn't as convenient, but the facilities will be even better than Woolwich's, being newer. Levy will squeeze every single penny he can out of the new stadium. It'll pay itself back in < 10 years, no problem.

I admire your optimism but unless you're talking local firms, organisations just do not tend to use conference and seminar facilities away from the mainline London transport hubs.

Not if they won't be around for the longer term outcomes.

I think the new stadium is a bit of a smokescreen. Most of us, including me at first by the way, have fallen for the line that we need it to compete with the top four. But by the time we've finished paying for it, having been unable to buy players or support wages because of the debt, we could have dropped out of the PL and not even be filling it.

In short, I think there are other options that I'd like to have seen explored to limit the longer term risk to the club.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense - Levy and Lewis are planning on spending money (a lot of their own brought in through share issues) on a stadium that might relegate / bankrupt the club.......but they are planning to leave part the way through the project?

What kind of smokescreen involves very successful businessmen wasting their own money and devaluing their investment?

Sorry, that doesn't make sense - Levy and Lewis are planning on spending money (a lot of their own brought in through share issues) on a stadium that might relegate / bankrupt the club.......but they are planning to leave part the way through the project?

What kind of smokescreen involves very successful businessmen wasting their own money and devaluing their investment?
I'm suggesting that perhaps there is more than meets the eye to the decision to go very big on the proposed stadium design.

I suggest this in the absence of a clear presentation and proper debate on the alternative options, including risks.

I know that I'm in a tiny minority but I am unconvinced that a huge new stadium is the only thing stopping us competing with the top four.

Maybe by having a large scale, ambitious stadium development pending, it keeps the majority of supporters happy and buys some time for other plans.

For example, no- one's going to be moaning about the need to upgrade WHL while we wait for the shiny new place to be built.

I'm not saying that ENIC will be out partway through the project but maybe won't be around for any longer term fallout.

And no, I'm not suggesting that successful businessmen will throw away their investment. They'll invest for a return. Whether that return comes via a very successful Tottenham, bossing the Champions League for a few years in the new stadium, fully paid for, remains to be seen.

I'm suggesting that perhaps there is more than meets the eye to the decision to go very big on the proposed stadium design.

I suggest this in the absence of a clear presentation and proper debate on the alternative options, including risks.

I know that I'm in a tiny minority but I am unconvinced that a huge new stadium is the only thing stopping us competing with the top four.

Maybe by having a large scale, ambitious stadium development pending, it keeps the majority of supporters happy and buys some time for other plans.

For example, no- one's going to be moaning about the need to upgrade WHL while we wait for the shiny new place to be built.

I'm not saying that ENIC will be out partway through the project but maybe won't be around for any longer term fallout.

And no, I'm not suggesting that successful businessmen will throw away their investment. They'll invest for a return. Whether that return comes via a very successful Tottenham, bossing the Champions League for a few years in the new stadium, fully paid for, remains to be seen.

But you realise that they have on a number of occasions made share issue deals (the last £40m in April) to finance the stadium? What rational is there for putting that money into the club if it isn't for doing exactly what they say they will do?

a) I'm not talking about borrowing the same amount of money that would be needed for the new stadium. I'm talking about using the money that we do have and can generate reasonably, to invest in the club rather than a new build stadium.

b) I'm not convinced that WHL is falling down. Sure, it needs some refurb and a bit of modernising and I'm not saying we shouldn't invest in that too, as any sensible business should.

c) Are we really in danger of the ground not meeting the required FIFA/UEFA/FA etc standards? I don't think so.

What I'm really saying in essence is that I'm not convinced fully of the business case for an expensive new stadium over all other options.

I disagree that I've fallen into the trap of the modern fan. Quite the opposite, as I think my view is a more conservative, longer term view.

I don't discount a new stadium longer term but splashing money we don't have on an expensive new stadium at this stage is very risky and could set us back for a long time.

Being deduced by fanciful pictures of a shiny new stadium, packed to the rafters with 60k happy Spurs fans, watching champions league matches is far more the trap of the modern fan.

And by the way, Barca and Madrid are not just the best clubs because of their large stadia. They have benefited from massive, disproportionate TV revenue compared to their competitors, substantial financial support from local authorities and are pretty much the only show in town compared to cities like London.
You may just have to face the idea that you don't understand it. People don't spunk hundreds of millions of pounds on stadiums for no reason. Stop thinking short term, our current ground has lasted us over a hundred years in many forms, we want to build a purpose built stadium that will last 10 times that.

If its such a bad idea, why did City move, why did Woolwich move, why are teams all around the world building expensive stadiums.

But you realise that they have on a number of occasions made share issue deals (the last £40m in April) to finance the stadium? What rational is there for putting that money into the club if it isn't for doing exactly what they say they will do?
Well, taking the share issues at face value, I'm not convinced by the rationale of the new stadium development.

That was the gist of my original post, in which I asked the question whether there were alternatives to such an ambitious new stadium project, right now.

I'd rather be shit for 20 years with a big stadium and the potential to one day have the chance to win things... Than be 4th/5th for a few years then slowly get overtaken by everyone else.

White Hart Lane is like a buckaroo set, there are parts of it that have been there over a hundred years, other parts have been updated over the years to the point where, the only option is to tear down stands and rebuild them. Which would be more expensive and more difficult. If its cheaper, easier and makes more sense to build an entire stadium, from the ground up, purposefully designed, then clearly thats the better option.

Ignore the "top 4" thing, its irrelevant. In a day and age where clubs can be bought out and spend 200 million in a season to try and win the league, i think it makes sense to take steps to becoming a bigger club and maximising potential while we can, without it being that damaging to us.

You may just have to face the idea that you don't understand it. People don't spunk hundreds of millions of pounds on stadiums for no reason. Stop thinking short term, our current ground has lasted us over a hundred years in many forms, we want to build a purpose built stadium that will last 10 times that.

If its such a bad idea, why did City move, why did Woolwich move, why are teams all around the world building expensive stadiums.
By saying that Im not convinced by the rationale for THIS stadium project at THIS time, I am admitting that I don't fully understand it.

If you read what I've said, I'm simply questioning this particular project as a "big bang" as opposed to considering all the options for developing WHL.

I'm not saying never build a new stadium and don't plan for the future.

I wonder how many Arse and City fans prefer their new stadia. And how often they're actually filled.

Too add to that. There is money being spunked all over the prem. This may not last forever so now is a good time to get these things sorted.

By saying that Im not convinced by the rationale for THIS stadium project at THIS time, I am admitting that I don't fully understand it.

If you read what I've said, I'm simply questioning this particular project as a "big bang" as opposed to considering all the options for developing WHL.

I'm not saying never build a new stadium and don't plan for the future.

I wonder how many Arse and City fans prefer their new stadia. And how often they're actually filled.
Surely its better to do it as soon as possible ? get it out the way ? While its cheaper, and we're in a position that we can actually do it.

Again, you're thinking short term. Those grounds may have empty seats now, thats why their grounds are limited to the size they are, otherwise we'd all be building 100'000 seater stadiums. I hate to say it mate, but Tottenham has no correlation to your lifetime. They were here before you were born and they'll be here long after you're dead. I'm not sure what the timescale on these sort of stadiums is but I'm sure i read somewhere that a stadium was being built that would be good for 10'000 years. Imagine if in 10'000 years time Tottenham Hotspur are still playing football in the stadium that was built during our lifetime.

I mean it won't happen, the earth will have been ravaged and destroyed by our generations greed and will be nothing but a burnt rock floating through space by then. But you get my point. Don't look at it from your point of view, look at it from the concept of Tottenham Hotspur FC's point of view.

Would you want to live in a house that will need to be updated every 10 years, or one that will last you your life time. Then your kids lifetime. Then their kids lifetimes. So on and so on. This Stadium being built now means our great great great great grandkids can still support Tottenham.

Too add to that. There is money being spunked all over the prem. This may not last forever so now is a good time to get these things sorted.
Exactly. This bubble Can't last forever and I'm sure a lot of us can't wait for the day it bursts. I'd rather be on the inside looking out when it does. We're one global financial crisis away from football as we know it going down the shitter.

Surely its better to do it as soon as possible ? get it out the way ? While its cheaper, and we're in a position that we can actually do it.

Again, you're thinking short term. Those grounds may have empty seats now, thats why their grounds are limited to the size they are, otherwise we'd all be building 100'000 seater stadiums. I hate to say it mate, but Tottenham has no correlation to your lifetime. They were here before you were born and they'll be here long after you're dead. I'm not sure what the timescale on these sort of stadiums is but I'm sure i read somewhere that a stadium was being built that would be good for 10'000 years. Imagine if in 10'000 years time Tottenham Hotspur are still playing football in the stadium that was built during our lifetime.

I mean it won't happen, the earth will have been ravaged and destroyed by our generations greed and will be nothing but a burnt rock floating through space by then. But you get my point. Don't look at it from your point of view, look at it from the concept of Tottenham Hotspur FC's point of view.

Would you want to live in a house that will need to be updated every 10 years, or one that will last you your life time. Then your kids lifetime. Then their kids lifetimes. So on and so on. This Stadium being built now means our great great great great grandkids can still support Tottenham.
Excellent post mate - doom and gloom about the end of the world and yet strangely uplifting about Tottenham in 10,000 years!

I won't drag out the debate because it'll get boring to for people to read me repeating myself.

You're right about Tottenham's timeline and my life. I do get that but it's never bad to be reminded.

My nan and grandad met when he was returning from WHL in the 1920s and the next home match was their first date. So, I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Spurs.

Fingers crossed it all works out with the new stadium.

Excellent post mate - doom and gloom about the end of the world and yet strangely uplifting about Tottenham in 10,000 years!

I won't drag out the debate because it'll get boring to for people to read me repeating myself.

You're right about Tottenham's timeline and my life. I do get that but it's never bad to be reminded.

My nan and grandad met when he was returning from WHL in the 1920s and the next home match was their first date. So, I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Spurs.

Fingers crossed it all works out with the new stadium.
Glad i could be of assistance. Sometimes its nice to remember that Tottenham is about more than tables, recent results, stadium projects, fan movements and importantly... controversy about words flags and fucking god knows what else.

Their investment has increased tenfold (at least) in the last decade

They'll sell a second after the naming rights are secured. Alternatively - sell now if someone is 'stupid' enough to buy into those bullshit renderings and cash in. Do you honestly believe these people are in this for the good of the fans and the Spurs badge?

Last edited:
David Gold on Sky Sports last night confirmed that for season 17/18 there is a possibility of Spurs sharing the Olympic Stadium if the Stadium owners thought it was right. Essentially confirms that the claimed right to Veto is non existent after first season despite what Lady Brady says ! Don't want to go Stratford but 1 million times better than going cunting Milton Keynes

Oi! The MK Dons play in Bletchley as a matter of fact. Bletch is my town long before MK became a swimmer in GLC' s pregnancy. Now it's swallowed up by every son of a bitch from cities in the UK and now Europe/Africa. But I'm not bitter.....

Back
Top Bottom