The Bane of Your Life vs Newcastle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only swap I would make for this would be Vertonghen in for Fazio.

-------------Lloris
Dier Kaboul Vertoghen Rose
---------Capoue Mason
----Lamela Eriksen Chadli
-------------Soldado

I would be tempted by Davies, not because Rose has been bad, but I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do in the league, and an off form Newcastle could be a good game to start in.

Personally thought Soldado showed enough to have another crack and Chadli/Erisken/Lamela need to keep improving.

Mason was great again, Capoue average but think I would persist for now over Stambouli / Dembele.

This needs to be 3 points. Nothing else will do. Newcastle are not a good side.

Even if the ref is crap, their players dive, we concede/miss out on controversial pens, our strikers are unlucky, Poch needs time, it's raining/snowing/hot/cold, our midfielders need a rest, our defence is taking time to gel, our supporters are moaning ...

... Just win.

Last edited:
...Our personnel screams out for a 4-3-3...if Poch is too stubborn to switch formations, then at least replace "Lame"-ela (that's right, the moniker is WELL EARNED), play Mason, Pauli, or Dembele on the right wing...
COYS
That's some pretty spectacular knee-jerkery right there. So we should take on of our two best offensive players (judging by what they've done this year), and bench him over one bad game? And then replace him with one of three central midfielders, one of whom has been pretty damned underwhemling at every position he's tried, including left wing?

Wow, either that's a very good trolling attempt that I've just fallen for, or I've just met a Sun News' long-time reader and American football fan.

Striker options; I can totally see Poch putting Soldado back in on Thursday night and reverting to Ade on Sunday. I'd be very disappointed but that's what I'd expect.

A better plan would be for Kane on Thursday and Soldado Sunday. Definitely think dropping Soldado after his good work linking up with the midfielders on the weekend would be the nail in the coffin for him.

This needs to be 3 points. Nothing else will do. Newcastle are not a good side.

Even if the ref is crap, their players dive, we concede/miss out on controversial pens, our strikers are unlucky, Poch needs time, it's raining/snowing/hot/cold, our midfielders need a rest, our defence is taking time to gel, our supporter..

... Just win.

They were shit last season too and despite us having 65% possession 31 shots, 14 of them on target we lost 1-0.
This is Tottenham fella, no game is a given.

Newcastle are a shit shit shit side. That being said the #Spursy hashtag exists for a reason.

Thursday will have a big effect on what happens against Newcastle. Mason is insanely injury prone, and shouldn't play in both. I would prefer Mason on Sunday and maybe Bentaleb on Thursday. We need to just go for Newcastle's throat and flat out attack the shit out of them. Hope that our back four stop them when needed.

High pressing all day and let's get Lamela a fucking goal already!

Newcastle are a shit shit shit side. That being said the #Spursy hashtag exists for a reason.

Thursday will have a big effect on what happens against Newcastle. Mason is insanely injury prone, and shouldn't play in both. I would prefer Mason on Sunday and maybe Bentaleb on Thursday. We need to just go for Newcastle's throat and flat out attack the shit out of them. Hope that our back four stop them when needed.

High pressing all day and let's get Lamela a fucking goal already!
The B Team will play on Thursday. Only question marks are if we go with Fazio or Verts at CB and who plays as striker and if Naughton is deemed fit does he play him on Thurs or save him for Newcastle.

I would be very tempted to put Kane in over Lamela. To say that Lamela was appalling against City doesn't quite do it justice. Not that he should be buried in the second team forever as he has been quite good in portions of this season but I am a believer in rewarding those who have looked good in the Cup team. For me, Kane deserves a run with the top team based on performances and Lamela could use a confidence boost in Europa and the League Cup.

I also think tactically it could be a boost for both the League team and Cup team. The Prem team could seriously benefit from Kane's finishing ability while the Cup team really needs an influx of creativity which Lamela could provide. I actually think by switching them, you could see a net gain for both sides.

I would be very tempted to put Kane in over Lamela. To say that Lamela was appalling against City doesn't quite do it justice. Not that he should be buried in the second team forever as he has been quite good in portions of this season but I am a believer in rewarding those who have looked good in the Cup team. For me, Kane deserves a run with the top team based on performances and Lamela could use a confidence boost in Europa and the League Cup.

I also think tactically it could be a boost for both the League team and Cup team. The Prem team could seriously benefit from Kane's finishing ability while the Cup team really needs an influx of creativity which Lamela could provide. I actually think by switching them, you could see a net gain for both sides.
The only issue is that Kane isn't really an effective RW option. I agree with the logic that perhaps Lamela needs a sitting down to have a word about working on the flaws in his game, but even with the flaws, he's probably the best RW choice we have. Lennon doesn't have anywhere near the required creativity, and Andros is still having the AVB coached out of him.

That said, if Andros shows well in training, you're right, it could be a good way to inject the creativity we need in our "B" team if we used Lamela as the 10 behind Kane, or whoever gets to be the striker du jour.

JDK JDK

Although I agree with your reasoning, I think it's important our more creative players are allowed more of a 'free pass' when it comes to performances. If they start playing with a fear that one bad performance means being dropped, they'll just play safe balls and be less willing to take risks, which is completely counterproductive. Players like Lamela and Eriksen need to feel free in their play, to really see the best from them.

The only issue is that Kane isn't really an effective RW option. I agree with the logic that perhaps Lamela needs a sitting down to have a word about working on the flaws in his game, but even with the flaws, he's probably the best RW choice we have. Lennon doesn't have anywhere near the required creativity, and Andros is still having the AVB coached out of him.

That said, if Andros shows well in training, you're right, it could be a good way to inject the creativity we need in our "B" team if we used Lamela as the 10 behind Kane, or whoever gets to be the striker du jour.

Well playing Kane is contingent on moving Eriksen more out towards the right and then playing Kane as the #10/second striker. Going forward, neither Lamela or Chadli (the nominal wingers) really plays out wide so I'm sure shifting Eriksen a bit out to the right shouldn't hurt him too much. He's played roughly the same role on the left.

JDK JDK

Although I agree with your reasoning, I think it's important our more creative players are allowed more of a 'free pass' when it comes to performances. If they start playing with a fear that one bad performance means being dropped, they'll just play safe balls and be less willing to take risks, which is completely counterproductive. Players like Lamela and Eriksen need to feel free in their play, to really see the best from them.

yeah agree. Stick with Chadli / Eriksen / Lamela. We know they have quality. Give them a little time to let that shine.

Kane should get a chance up top for me.

Back
Top Bottom