January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumours Arse will launch a move for Schneiderlin in January

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...january-missing-one-player-summer-window.html

Crazy but would anyone here consider Walcott for a reasonable fee?

Personally, I think he'll struggle to secure regular football once Giroud is fit, etc. and might consider a move, much like Podolski. I think he offers a good attacking (wide) outlet, more so than someone like Konoplyanka for example. Unless of course we can secure Depay or Mertens.

Last edited:
Crazy but would anyone here consider Walcott for a reasonable fee?

Personally, I think he'll struggle to secure regular football once Giroud is fit, etc. and might consider a move, much like Podoslki. I think he offers a good attacking (wide) outlet, more so than someone like Konplyanka for example. Unless of course we can secure Depay or Mertens.
I highly doubt he would be sold. If the goons are selling a winger, it'll be Podo only.
That being said, if he willing to sever the ties with the goons and come over to us, then why not?

Yes, he's overrated by the scum, but frankly, I always rated him back when so many of the scum thought he was shit, and I still think he provides a bit of that 'umph'. I too would take him over Kono, but it's never gonna happen.

In Jan, sell Soldado and get J. Rod (or another decent ST).

In the Summer, sell Paulo, Naughton, Lennon, and Ade. And buy a ST (and maybe also a classy DLP).

Not sure we would need to get a winger (LW) anymore, given what we would already have and how Poch sets up. Plus, hopefully by then, Ceballos and Pritchard can make the step up.

Done.
I'd keep Naughton, apart from that I completely agree

I think the challenge is that we DO have a very good youth squad with several guys who will be looking to break into the first team in the next 12-18 months, and we need to make sure that the first team has the right resources without blocking the opportunities for those developing players.

Very true, with striker though we don't have anyone particularly promising besides Kane who is pretty much full first team now. As it always seems, finding a big time striker remains the big issue for us in the transfer window. Most difficult thing to find unfortunately.

Very true, with striker though we don't have anyone particularly promising besides Kane who is pretty much full first team now. As it always seems, finding a big time striker remains the big issue for us in the transfer window. Most difficult thing to find unfortunately.
We don't have to find a 'big name' striker and pay a premium (especially in January) - plenty of up-and-coming names and value for money in the market. Look at Cisse, Benteke, etc. over the years

We should be looking at names like Batshuayi, Voland, Drmic, Heung-Min, Insigne and that youngster at Monaco. First prize would be Destro but we might be out-priced by now - may be cash and Ade to re-unite with his Goon brother.

walcott_2_0_44988.jpg

Sign this cunt? You mad?

:lennon:

If would picket outside the stadium if we signed that cunt Walcott. Don't know how anyone could want him at Spurs after he mugged us off last season.

I wonder if we'll continue to chase Jay Rodriguez. Love him as a player but he almost never played as as striker under Pochettino. He always played the LW/Second Striker nebulous role that Chadli is currently playing efficiently. Hard to know if that continues but if it does, you wonder if it might be better to sink our funds into a more natural lone striker. Not that I have any clue who that player might be.

We don't have to find a 'big name' striker and pay a premium (especially in January) - plenty of up-and-coming names and value for money in the market. Look at Cisse, Benteke, etc. over the years

We should be looking at names like Batshuayi, Voland, Drmic, Heung-Min, Insigne and that youngster at Monaco. First prize would be Destro but we might be out-priced by now - may be cash and Ade to re-unite with his Goon brother.

You just suggested buying Walcott and then say we should sell Adebayor because he's a gooner. I'm so confused.

All those names would go for at least 15m. Insigne is a number 10, Son plays on the wing, Batshuayi just went to Marseille, and the other two play for Champions League teams who probably won't sell midseason. No? Volland maybe, I guess. I don't know.

Last edited:
If would picket outside the stadium if we signed that cunt Walcott. Don't know how anyone could want him at Spurs after he mugged us off last season.

I wonder if we'll continue to chase Jay Rodriguez. Love him as a player but he almost never played as as striker under Pochettino. He always played the LW/Second Striker nebulous role that Chadli is currently playing efficiently. Hard to know if that continues but if it does, you wonder if it might be better to sink our funds into a more natural lone striker. Not that I have any clue who that player might be.

Is Jay Rodriguez going into his last year of contract or am I completely making that up?

I saw that he had a wonder goal or something like that, but I don't think he's ready.

A lot of people thought he looked good during preseason, but what I saw was him getting literally pushed off the ball time after time after time. Some decent movement and touches, but he was quite literally getting run over in midfield against MLS competition.
He's definitely not ready yet. Pritchard may be closer, but I think he's still probably a year away form featuring.

You just suggested buying Walcott and then say we should sell Adebayor because he's a gooner. I'm so confused.

All those names would go for at least 15m. Insigne is a number 10, Son plays on the wing, Batshuayi just went to Marseille, and the other two play for Champions League teams who probably won't sell midseason. No? Volland maybe, I guess. I don't know.
You said we should sign a top striker and then suggest 15m is a lot to spend?

We need a striker and or and attacking wide forward - either would do for me. There's is plenty of value in the market for a player who fits our transfer profile

Last edited:
You said we should sign a top striker and then suggest 15m is a lot to spend?

We need a striker and or and attacking wide forward - either would do for me. There's is plenty of value in the market for player who fit our transfer profile

Well I thought you were proposing those players as a cheap alternative to a top striker. BTW, I have no idea what top striker we should buy. IMO, the problem is that there just aren't many around and we are constantly searching as we don't have the money or prestige to buy an Aguero, Costa, Falcao, RVP, etc.

I'm just saying we could really use a top striker and that will likely always be an issue unless we get lucky like Liverpool did with Suarez or Sturridge. But who that top striker is, anyone's guess.

Any one of those players I wouldn't be fussed with replacing individually, but five?

Sheer stupidity.

Our past dealings have proven once again that buying perceived quality is by no means a guarantee of success. Replace a couple that have spectacularly failed to deliver like Soldado and Paulinho and I think we would be well served, but to replace 5 players in another mass-turnover in our squad is just beyond stupidity at this juncture.
I wouldn't be suggesting a massive run of imports. I do think that we need to clear out deadwood though. I have said my piece about Soldado elsewhere. If we aren't going to give him the chance, then he might as well be shipped out. I strongly feel that Ade is past his best. I also feel that Lennon just isn't good enough for us on the wings, in terms of his offensive contribution, and I think that Paulinho just doesn't do anything we need a midfielder to do (and he can't play LW for us).

As I said, I'm on the fence about Dembele.

But yes, 4 players out. And no more than 3 in. We need players who can either play LW (as back-up/rotation with Chadli) or can play as the main striker. There are plenty of young, cheap options with a lot of upside who could probably do that job. We unfortunately probably can't rush the youth prospects we do have into those positions, so a-shopping we should go.

As a striker, Alexandre Lacazette would be an relatively affordable option, with sufficient flexibility that he could be played on the wings if necessary. If we wanted to spend more then we could go for Roberto Firmino, or Berahino (already shown to be a player who combines well with Kane), or shooting for the stars, there's even Marco Reus floating out there (but out of our likely budget range).

As it is, I think we should go for Lacazette and Berahino quite strongly in January, with perhaps a look at Paul George Ntep as a third striker option. We need more offensive potency, and we need a bit of versatility as well, and we need it fairly cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom