January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see chadli in that striker position cause he can score. Furthermore he does not look comfortable on that left wing against good full backs. I think firmino would add exactly what we need. Fast on the counter, great technical ability and also able to score.

I would like to see chadli in that striker position cause he can score. Furthermore he does not look comfortable on that left wing against good full backs. I think firmino would add exactly what we need. Fast on the counter, great technical ability and also able to score.
I don't undestand why people want Chadli to play striker? Why remove him from that lw position, when he's been doing so well?

I don't undestand why people want Chadli to play striker? Why remove him from that lw position, when he's been doing so well?
Because he is not playing well in that position. He is playing well when he leaves it and plays something like a second striker. Non of his goals or assists came of that lwf position. Why not playing him in this position over 90 mins and buy a quality winger?

Because he is not playing well in that position. He is playing well when he leaves it and plays something like a second striker. Non of his goals or assists came of that lwf position. Why not playing him in this position over 90 mins and buy a quality winger?
Pochettino uses the LW position as a second striker in his system, though. The entire point of Chadli's play is that offensively, he can cut in on the diagonal as an option for Eriksen and Lamela to pass to. Anyone Pochettino brings in to play LW is likely to be asked to do that, especially since having Eriksen central and Lamela at right means he doesn't need the left-sided player to be mainly a creator.

Pochettino uses the LW position as a second striker in his system, though. The entire point of Chadli's play is that offensively, he can cut in on the diagonal as an option for Eriksen and Lamela to pass to. Anyone Pochettino brings in to play LW is likely to be asked to do that, especially since having Eriksen central and Lamela at right means he doesn't need the left-sided player to be mainly a creator.
Yeah you are right, but I still think we could use this position better with a different kind of player. I really like chadli and I think that he could work very well and unpredictable with this different type of lw.

We don't have to find a 'big name' striker and pay a premium (especially in January) - plenty of up-and-coming names and value for money in the market. Look at Cisse, Benteke, etc. over the years

We should be looking at names like Batshuayi, Voland, Drmic, Heung-Min, Insigne and that youngster at Monaco. First prize would be Destro but we might be out-priced by now - may be cash and Ade to re-unite with his Goon brother.
You just suggested buying Walcott and then say we should sell Adebayor because he's a gooner. I'm so confused.

All those names would go for at least 15m. Insigne is a number 10, Son plays on the wing, Batshuayi just went to Marseille, and the other two play for Champions League teams who probably won't sell midseason. No? Volland maybe, I guess. I don't know.

I'm getting the Son rumors going. #IDontknowwhatITKstandsfor

He's quality, mate
Plus he's Asian. I want to see an Asian at White Hart Lane again :soldadowatch:
Everyone says he's overrated though. I only watch Youtube highlights so I can't really say if he's good or not, but from what I see he's two footed, speedy and has a good shot. Plus, most of his goals are more of a direct role instead of poaching or waiting.

Was that rumour about us signing Jack Grealish just lazy jounralism or are there some concrete informations that we're interested in him? I'd really love to see him at Spurs, great talent.

Well I thought you were proposing those players as a cheap alternative to a top striker. BTW, I have no idea what top striker we should buy. IMO, the problem is that there just aren't many around and we are constantly searching as we don't have the money or prestige to buy an Aguero, Costa, Falcao, RVP, etc.

I'm just saying we could really use a top striker and that will likely always be an issue unless we get lucky like Liverpool did with Suarez or Sturridge. But who that top striker is, anyone's guess.
Yes - those names would be far cheaper than an established top striker name which would command well over 30m and massive wages - something we cannot afford.

We need to take a punt on a young, up and coming name and hopefully 'get lucky' (Sturridge, Benteke, etc.)

Last edited:
walcott_2_0_44988.jpg

Sign this cunt? You mad?

:lennon:

He´s a shit Aaron Lennon. FACT

I wouldn't be suggesting a massive run of imports. I do think that we need to clear out deadwood though. I have said my piece about Soldado elsewhere. If we aren't going to give him the chance, then he might as well be shipped out. I strongly feel that Ade is past his best. I also feel that Lennon just isn't good enough for us on the wings, in terms of his offensive contribution, and I think that Paulinho just doesn't do anything we need a midfielder to do (and he can't play LW for us).

As I said, I'm on the fence about Dembele.

But yes, 4 players out. And no more than 3 in. We need players who can either play LW (as back-up/rotation with Chadli) or can play as the main striker. There are plenty of young, cheap options with a lot of upside who could probably do that job. We unfortunately probably can't rush the youth prospects we do have into those positions, so a-shopping we should go.

As a striker, Alexandre Lacazette would be an relatively affordable option, with sufficient flexibility that he could be played on the wings if necessary. If we wanted to spend more then we could go for Roberto Firmino, or Berahino (already shown to be a player who combines well with Kane), or shooting for the stars, there's even Marco Reus floating out there (but out of our likely budget range).

As it is, I think we should go for Lacazette and Berahino quite strongly in January, with perhaps a look at Paul George Ntep as a third striker option. We need more offensive potency, and we need a bit of versatility as well, and we need it fairly cheap.
I completely agree with you about all of that. Although I'm not sold on Berahino. I would like us to take a look at Carlos Bacca from Sevilla, Ben Yedder from Toulouse, or Kiessling from Leverkusen, see if one of them would be tempted by England.

I completely agree with you about all of that. Although I'm not sold on Berahino. I would like us to take a look at Carlos Bacca from Sevilla, Ben Yedder from Toulouse, or Kiessling from Leverkusen, see if one of them would be tempted by England.
Kiessling is an interesting idea. He's currently playing in the most aggressive pressing system on the planet, so would probably view Pochettino's Spurs as a bit relaxing!

ArcspacE ArcspacE Berahino should definitely be an option!
I didn't think he was all that special before today but I watched him play vs. United and he was fantastic. Took his goal superbly as well. I didn't think he was worth the money before but if we could actually get him for 15 or so I think it might be worth it.

It's the Dempsey affect a player who is not too great around the pitch but comes alive near the box.

The striker position might suit him as he is big and strong but he would have to learn and I don't really want a player learning on the job at least not in the prem.

I could see him and Kane playing as a one two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom