January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think he was all that special before today but I watched him play vs. United and he was fantastic. Took his goal superbly as well. I didn't think he was worth the money before but if we could actually get him for 15 or so I think it might be worth it.

Reminds me a bit of Defoe just as Kane reminds me of sheringham. They are both the England u21 main strikers as well.

Yes - those names would be far cheaper than an established top striker name which would command well over 30m and massive wages - something we cannot afford.

We need to take a punt on a young, up and coming name and hopefully 'get lucky' (Sturridge, Benteke, etc.)

Benteke or barihino would be fine, within our price range and good prem record.

I don't understand why we would want Huntelaar. Besides that one absurd season where he went on a tear and scored 48 in all competitions, he hasn't had more than 16 goals in all competitions since 2008. In comparison, before last season Soldado was over 20 in all comps for four straight seasons. He flopped out of both Spain and Italy and is already 31. He's fine as a stop gap, I suppose but I don't think he's really our answer up top in the long or short term. Also, he's supposedly on around 75k at Schalke and will probably want a bit of a raise so his small transfer fee might be inflated in wages.

I'd rather we went for someone young like Berahino or still in their mid-20s. If you look at the likes of Eriksen, Chadli, Lamela, Mason, Capoue, Kane, Bentaleb, Townsend, Stambouli, etc. as your midfield and attack core going forward none of those guys except Capoue are over the age of 25. Realistically, the goal has to be to keep this young group together to grow with maybe 2-3 additions or subtractions based on development. It makes much more sense to get a player that can come in and grow and develop with our squad for the long term. The plans seems to be to let Pochettino usher this young group over the next fews seasons and if the plan works properly and our young players develop our best football should come in 2-3 years. Consequently, I'd prefer to buy a striker that fits in with that long term visions like Berahino.

It would be pretty surprising if Adebayor and Soldado were here in two years so it would be nice to have a young striker besides Kane who fits into the long term vision.

JDK JDK

berahino will cost an arm and a leg mate..

this is levy we are talking about...:levywhoa:

tbh we should have bought lukaku, god only knows how everton got him...

You have to pay a substantial sum for strikers no matter what. We paid 26m for Soldado and have shelled out substantial amounts in the past for the likes of Bent, Defoe, Pav, etc.

It doesn't have to be Berahino, he's just the name at the moment. But we're going to need to be buying a younger striker and soon. Soldado and Adebayor are not getting any younger.

You have to pay a substantial sum for strikers no matter what. We paid 26m for Soldado and have shelled out substantial amounts in the past for the likes of Bent, Defoe, Pav, etc.

It doesn't have to be Berahino, he's just the name at the moment. But we're going to need to be buying a younger striker and soon. Soldado and Adebayor are not getting any younger.

agree with this totally...
good strikers cost money, no way around that...
good strikers who are both young and English cost more though...and id like to see him perform week in week out..
it also is possible to snatch a bargain e.g. bony, benteke, pelle etc

Last edited:
Chadli now firmly a fan favourite, current top scorer. Lamela proving all the critics wrong. Eriksen back to his best. We've even managed to get a result against a big team for once.

Or, you know, we desperately need a striker and David Moyes is coming in.
We're one Erik Lamela goal from this been the case.

High profile like Berahino will not come at the moment. Will.I.An and Wellbad have proved that. Chaps, We ain't in that league just now.
:harryhmm:

High profile like Berahino will not come at the moment. Will.I.An and Wellbad have proved that. Chaps, We ain't in that league just now.
:harryhmm:

Willian was getting a medical at our training ground and Welbeck probably would have come as well. We can attract players, we just have to hope that City, Chelsea, United, or Woolwich don't want them.

When I logged in tonight, i thought to myself "I pray that this thread is not blowing up about Berahino"...well

Is he good? maybe. Is he ok? yea, sure. Is he class? we are about two years away from knowing that. Is he worth anything over 8? hell no. Should we sign him? absolutely not, not even if levy and baldini are tripping acid while getting their butt holes licked by his agent. At this point, as far as I am concerned, Berahino is a younger Shane Long.

This January is a selling season.

Paulinho- gone
Jan- gone (not because he is shit, but because he doesn't give one)
Soldado- gone

When I logged in tonight, i thought to myself "I pray that this thread is not blowing up about Berahino"...well

Is he good? maybe. Is he ok? yea, sure. Is he class? we are about two years away from knowing that. Is he worth anything over 8? hell no. Should we sign him? absolutely not, not even if levy and baldini are tripping acid while getting their butt holes licked by his agent. At this point, as far as I am concerned, Berahino is a younger Shane Long.

Paulinho- gone
Soldado- gone

Long has never scored more than eight goals in an entire Premier League season. Berahino has six in eight games as a twenty one year old. It's not even a comparison.

So we're now selling off our best CB and one of our only cover options for Adebayor at AFCON in January? Seems rash.

Paulinho- gone
Soldado- gone

Paulo? Why not?
Sure, if there are buyers for him. Actually, I'm knocking on wood for that to happen.

Soldado? Maybe or maybe not.
Tbh, I don't mind either way. But ... I hope he gets the whole season to be able to prove himself (or not). Regardless, if he's sold, then we HAVE to buy another ST in January. It would be very very unwise not to.

And Verts? Why???
Yeah, he's been a bit off last season, but has he been like that this season? He might not have been spectacular yet this season (like his first year), but he definitely, at least has been solid when called upon. I completely disagree with you here. You can't be fair and completely blame him (let alone hold on to it) for his attitude last season. We shouldn't look to sell him, especially since there hasn't been an issue this season, let alone the case being that he's our best CB.

And Verts? Why???
Yeah, he's been a bit off last season, but has he been like that this season? He might not have been spectacular yet this season (like his first year), but he definitely, at least has been solid when called upon. I completely disagree with you here. You can't be fair and completely blame him (let alone hold on to it) for his attitude last season. We shouldn't look to sell him, especially since there hasn't been an issue this season, let alone the case being that he's our best CB.
And as long as Dier is needed to cover on the right - I don't see any CBs moving. Unless it is like for like. And not sure there is a similar CB available in January.

In January sell Paulinho/Dembele/Lennon. Paulinho and Dembele abroad I dont really care where Lennon goes. Consider selling Adebayor and or Soldado. Consider selling Chiriches. Spend that money on a Striker and a CDM.

Willian was getting a medical at our training ground and Welbeck probably would have come as well. We can attract players, we just have to hope that City, Chelsea, United, or Woolwich don't want them.
I guess that's the point? I think you can add Liverpool to that list as well. Whilst Willian was at the ground he didn't join. Nor did Wellbeck. That's why we aren't in that league. An offer of regular champions league will trump us every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom