Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Funny, I wasn't talking about giving up on Paulinho... And the "disagrees" are amusing because of where they've all come from.

Look in the mirror, pal.

Your constant jabs are all cruelly ironic, amusing for the fact that you laugh at someone for noticing them pile up (more like laughingly disregarding them), as you - the source - sit there spamming the button all day long just to remind everyone that you're still here.
So instead of debating a valid topic of discussion you've resorted to childish name calling and sniping. Hey ho - shocker.

Don't take his word for it. Paulinho has had to play AM with Lennon and Townsend and with Soldado ahead of them. That lineup is not good for any of those players, making all of them look worse than they are. No playmaker, three players who desparately needs a playmaker, and one who just gets on the ball and dribbles till he lose it or till he can short.

Yes, he can look quite bad at the moment, when playing in that lineup, but like you I am convinced that Paulinho is a great player, and I think he has a skillset that would be great for us. And like you I am not so stupid as to think that a shit player would play for a semi finalist Brazil in the WC or a conf.cup winning Brazil.

Right now he's probably at rock bottom confidence wise, and has to deal with shit supporters moaning in the stands and wanting him out. Give him the chance to play with Eriksen and Lamela, and you'll see him providing both goals and space for the others to exploit.

I don't moan at any Spurs players in the stands (I know you didn't specifically accuse me) I never have, and never will. I go to support. I'm also not one of those people who hopes that a player they don't rate underperforms so that they can be proved right - if Paulinho suddenly starts playing like a world beater I would be delighted, and very happy to be proved wrong about him.

He gets my full support in the stadium where it matters, as does any player in a Spurs shirt, but this board is about exchanging opinions, and we'll have to agree to differ on ours. I don't think saying to a mate over a pint in the pub that so and so had a shocker is being unsupportive.

Last edited:
I agree that this is a forum where we should be allowed to discuss what we want, related to Spurs, and speak our mind. We should, however, in my opinion, use a less harsh rhetoric than some do. Our players aren't shit, they shouldn't be shot or sold to league two.

The fact of the matter is that our players are class. Period. The players who fails here, and moves on, goes on to become key players for teams in Serie A, Bundesliga or Premier League. Sigurdsson, Huddlestone, Livermore and Holtby are recent examples.

Some players struggle at Spurs, for different reasons. You can argue that you think a player doesn't have the right skillset, the right mentality or mental state, or that he isn't quite at the extreme level that is required at our club.

I have been disappointed and annoyed and called players shit myself. I'll try to stop, and I hope you guys will think about doing the same.

I think a few of us that still support the Spurs player named Paulinho have answered the question why he is not impressive in the few games he've had several times:
1. Terrible team setups for him. He is the kind of player that thrives in a good team, with players able to take advantage of his superb movement by passing the ball or exploiting space.
2. Rock bottom confidence.
3. Harassment from the stands.

The first point requires a bit of understanding the game. The other two are blatantly obvious through example from the world of football every season.

So, then, to your question about why others with limited time on the pitch can impress:
1. Different players have different needs from their surroundings. Kane, for example, has a playstyle where he looks to get on the ball, rather than that of making the most creative run, and is making things happen through his involvement. He is also used to playing with and against lower quality teams. Suits better in the cup setups than does Paulinho.
2. Not rock bottom confidence.
3. Support, rather than harassment, from the stands.
4. Your perception of what makes for an impressive display is affected by your expectations. What is deemed as an impressive display by Mason, would probably be seen as another unimpressive game if it was performed by Paulinho.

Can you explain why he was so average (at best) for Brazil in the world cup?

They did get through the the semis. It was pretty painful to watch but he's not a pushover. I was hoping for more from him this season but lets face it: In a team with Lennon, Townsend and Soldado: It's a lot like AVB era and I was surprised Poch played that mix along with Vlad at the back.

I'm out of excuses for Paulinho. Time will tell but I still have faith in all of our central midfielders. They can give anyone a game esp in the right shape.

Sometimes, Its possible to have a bad game but still look like a good player. For me, Soldado falls in to this category. Soldado looks like a quality player, he makes the diagonal runs, pulls defenders, runs to the near post... basically he does everything a top Centre forward needs to do. He can look ineffective in a game because he doesn't do much WITH the ball... but if the team aren't getting the ball into the box, or through the defence, we aren't using Soldado to full effect. Time after time we win the ball, Soldado calls for it and makes the run beyond the last man.. only to look behind and see it passed sideways along the ground. For me, Soldado looks like a top class footballer and importantly a winner. Against forest and Besiktas i noticed especially, he's a leader. He's talking to the younger players, he's contesting to the ref when he gets a decision wrong (this especially against Besiktas, the ref had a shocker) and he winds the opposition up, draws mistakes from defenders and as we well know, isn't afraid to stick an elbow in where necessary. Not that I'm a fan of that, id rather not see that from our players... but you only have to look at Suarez to see how being a bit of a cunt on the football pitch when it comes to the oppositions defenders will get you that little bit further. Its not great to see but you NEED players on the pitch to do that sort of thing. So for me, Soldado does everything right EXCEPT score. Which admittedly is his primary job. But he can't score if we're not putting the ball in the box, and we just aren't doing that at the moment.

Now, Paulinho. When he has the ball, he doesn't do much with it. When he hasn't got it he doesn't seem to do much either. Paulinho is obviously not a terrible footballer. Terrible footballers don't get picked for Brazil. But he just doesn't seem to bring anything! He's one of the more experienced in our squad! he's been to the world cup with Brazil! And yet he's getting stuck on the left wing??? AND still subbed off. He was supposed to be this box to box midfielder, but he doesnt get box to box? He doesn't make things happen with the ball. When he played through the middle against forest he had a free role with i think Lennon and Townsend out wide and i think maybe Stambouli and Bentaleb behind him. He should have dominated that midfield.. he just didn't. He didn't exploit space, he didn't run beyond the striker... EVERY time he got the ball he seemed to take a touch (maybe take another) and pass sidewards. He looks lost. Like a boy amongst men. He's anonymous. Doing just enough to not be ridiculously awful. Yeah, he'll win the ball occasionally, he'll get the ball out wide now and then. But theres none of this high energy shit i expect from him. He doesn't show for the ball like Mason, Bentaleb or Tom Carroll do... and they're all kids really. He bottles tackles like an absolute pussy. He doesn't get in the oppositions faces. He slopes around, looking meek. He looks like he doesn't want to be here. If we're only as strong as our weakest link, then Soldado's a silver link in a gold chain... But Paulinho is a bent paperclip holding things together.

Thats just my view anyway. I'll support him on the pitch always, I really want him to prove me wrong. But I've written him off in my mind now... to save myself from any more heartbreak at least. I get enough of that supporting this club as it is. Don't need it from the flipping players as well.

Yes. Pretty much the same reason why he's been struggling with us. He came to the WC low on confidence, played in a team under extreme pressure and expectations from the home fans, and was criticised pretty much from the get go.

You might recall that Dembele, Vertonghen and Chadli also had a terrible start to the championship, and only Verts recovered some of his old self during his stay in Brazil.

Lloris and Bentaleb did better, but Hugo had a good season behind him, and Bentaleb a positive one where he had his breakthrough.

I'm certain that if you do a thorough analysis of world cup players you will find that most players that has a bad season behind them coupled with facing huge expectations will struggle badly.

Can you explain how he was voted third best in the confederations cup and got a spot in one of the best national teams in the world, with perhaps the highest number of pro players competing for a spot, if he is so bad?

Yes. Pretty much the same reason why he's been struggling with us. He came to the WC low on confidence, played in a team under extreme pressure and expectations from the home fans, and was criticised pretty much from the get go.

You might recall that Dembele, Vertonghen and Chadli also had a terrible start to the championship, and only Verts recovered some of his old self during his stay in Brazil.

Lloris and Bentaleb did better, but Hugo had a good season behind him, and Bentaleb a positive one where he had his breakthrough.

I'm certain that if you do a thorough analysis of world cup players you will find that most players that has a bad season behind them coupled with facing huge expectations will struggle badly.

Can you explain how he was voted third best in the confederations cup and got a spot in one of the best national teams in the world, with perhaps the highest number of pro players competing for a spot, if he is so bad?
Because he joined us and we broke him.

Paulinho does not do what Spurs require a midfielder to do. He may have some talents, but they are not going to be visible while playing for our club. We signed the wrong guy, he signed with the wrong club, and we need to fix this error for both parties by moving him elsewhere in January.

They should lock this thread after your comment. Spot. On.

Cry less lion - you need to hang on to your bodily fluids, except the obvious ones. Being thirsty is unpleasant.

drove to atlanta, ga today which is about an hour away from where i live.. 10 miles in have to piss like all get out. spend the next hour and twenty trying to cram my cock into a 16 oz gatorade bottle so i can get a piss off in the middle of the highway. had to fart, afraid of shitting myself... nothing doing.

drove to atlanta, ga today which is about an hour away from where i live.. 10 miles in have to piss like all get out. spend the next hour and twenty trying to cram my cock into a 16 oz gatorade bottle so i can get a piss off in the middle of the highway. had to fart, afraid of shitting myself... nothing doing.
Dont you have trees in your country?

this seasons shining i dont even care if we finish 6th my god we have some kind of something playing out on the pitch that isnt timmy's bullshit and avb's snore machine.

we've got a pitch
we've got fans

:wansum:
And we've got faith, hope and love - and the greatest of these is love. (This is on a tile in my girlfriend's kitchen) kitschy but cute. It will never rain again.

Dont you have trees in your country?

they're a bit like those fake plastic trees radiohead are always going on about.... good for blocking out the sun and hiding the police and not much else. i'd be a sitting rabbit with a gatorade bottle out there. wish you could see the highways over here... truly, truly fucking ugly.

Last edited:
they're a bit like those fake plastic trees radiohead is always going on about.... good for blocking out the sun and hiding the police and not much else. i'd be a sitting rabbit with a gatorade bottle out there. wish you could see the highways over here... truly, truly fucking ugly.
American highways, you mean?

Back
Top Bottom