Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I get that he hasn't been given a prolonged spell. But a fair few of our players have not had that. Kane, Mason for example. They impress without needing a prolonged spell. So why can't our £16mil Brazil international do the same?

He will not get a prolonged spell in the side if he continues to look shit in the games he does play.
Mate - he's had 2 (two) 60 min cameos int he EL and 29 mins in the Prem

For those that seemingly want a midfield of Eriksen - Paulinho - Lamela let me ask, what would your plan for Chadli be? He's currently our most consistent goal scorer and seems to be the player we were looking for when we signed him. Paulinho did one thing consistently last year, miss his mark and take wild shots that completely wasted the work the rest of the team had put in up until that point.

To the point that he hasn't had successive Prem games, if you play like he has in Europa you don't really deserve them. I however still of the firm belief that Soldado deserves a run of about 4 games, but that is besides the point. Paulie is an entirely different person and player. It doesn't matter that he was once compared to Neymar, cause pundits spout hyperbole at every juncture. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Corinthians paid people to say things like that to generate even more interest. Brazil is a very corrupt place.

Great response and level of debate.
At some point you've just got to give up on people. I long ago passed the point where I no longer care about justifying my opinions to you. I could make the choice to sit on my ass all day long and fight with you on this forum, but I don't have the inclination to make two-dozen posts per day, so instead I chose to click "ignore content from this user", and perhaps once a week I venture to see what kind of bullshit you're spouting.

It has also been greatly amusing to see my "disagree" count roughly double over that same period.

Now, I've got to head to work.

At some point you've just got to give up on people. I long ago passed the point where I no longer care about justifying my opinions to you. I could make the choice to sit on my ass all day long and fight with you on this forum, but I don't have the inclination to make two-dozen posts per day, so instead I chose to click "ignore content from this user", and perhaps once a week I venture to see what kind of bullshit you're spouting.

It has also been greatly amusing to see my "disagree" count roughly double over that same period.

Now, I've got to head to work.
How can you give up on someone who has 29 minutes in the Prem and has last season showcased he can deliver? Why haven't you given up on Lamela yet - he's done fuck all to date?

Imagine we 'gave up' on Bale and that charlatan mong sent him out on loan as he threatened at the time? You're just another victim of modern society and the instant gratification culture. Oh, and someone 'disagrees' with you on a football forum? Fucking hell!! Laughable - how old are you again?

Not really - simply outlines your sheer hypocrisy - one rule for my favourite players / one rule for the ones I dislike, right?

Paulinho was given every chance in the world under Sherwood. He brought things I didn't like to the table. Soldado has been shit on since AVB left. He looked to be at the verge of forming a great strike partnership with Lamela during pre season. I know that those teams were certainly not of a incredible caliber, but his positioning was solid and his assists were downright spectacular. Remember the Lennon goal from the Soldado midfield assist?

Not to mention Robbie at least TRIES to come off as loving this club! Paulinho couldn't give a flying fuck.

Paulinho does not do what Spurs require a midfielder to do. He may have some talents, but they are not going to be visible while playing for our club. We signed the wrong guy, he signed with the wrong club, and we need to fix this error for both parties by moving him elsewhere in January.

I get that he hasn't been given a prolonged spell. But a fair few of our players have not had that. Kane, Mason for example. They impress without needing a prolonged spell. So why can't our £16mil Brazil international do the same?

He will not get a prolonged spell in the side if he continues to look shit in the games he does play.

I think a few of us that still support the Spurs player named Paulinho have answered the question why he is not impressive in the few games he've had several times:
1. Terrible team setups for him. He is the kind of player that thrives in a good team, with players able to take advantage of his superb movement by passing the ball or exploiting space.
2. Rock bottom confidence.
3. Harassment from the stands.

The first point requires a bit of understanding the game. The other two are blatantly obvious through example from the world of football every season.

So, then, to your question about why others with limited time on the pitch can impress:
1. Different players have different needs from their surroundings. Kane, for example, has a playstyle where he looks to get on the ball, rather than that of making the most creative run, and is making things happen through his involvement. He is also used to playing with and against lower quality teams. Suits better in the cup setups than does Paulinho.
2. Not rock bottom confidence.
3. Support, rather than harassment, from the stands.
4. Your perception of what makes for an impressive display is affected by your expectations. What is deemed as an impressive display by Mason, would probably be seen as another unimpressive game if it was performed by Paulinho.

Paulinho was given every chance in the world under Sherwood. He brought things I didn't like to the table. Soldado has been shit on since AVB left. He looked to be at the verge of forming a great strike partnership with Lamela during pre season. I know that those teams were certainly not of a incredible caliber, but his positioning was solid and his assists were downright spectacular. Remember the Lennon goal from the Soldado midfield assist?

Not to mention Robbie at least TRIES to come off as loving this club! Paulinho couldn't give a flying fuck.
Sherwood is gone and that circus of a season - closed chapter

New slate under Poch - everyone (hopefully) given an equal opportunity to prove themselves and earn a spot. He deserves a crack, as much as Soldado, imv

Last edited:
Sherwood is gone and that circus of a season - closed chapter

New slate under Poch - everyone (hopefully) give an equal opportunity to prove themselves and earn a spot. He deserves a crack, as much as Soldado, imv
Everyone probably have started on equal terms. There must be a reason why Mason is in the team and Paulinho is not. My guess is that the latter has not impressed in training.

Everyone probably have started on equal terms. There must be a reason why Mason is in the team and Paulinho is not. My guess is that the latter has not impressed in training.

Didn't really sound like that from the Chadli interview where he stated that he hasn't been called in for a talk with the new boss like a lot of the other players. But there is little doubt that under Poch you can get a chance if you prove yourself.

But different players have different vantage points. Mason is up and coming, unproven, and would probably kill for a chance to prove himself, and is heavily supported when he does get a chance, whereas Paulinho is proven quality, probably one who was promised a place as a key player, has had a very rough year, and gets harassed every time he plays.

Yes, he should work hard and try to prove himself. But he is probably at a mental state where that is hard at the moment. With support from team mates, manager and the fans he might come excellent again. He has to do the job himself, but needs to be given good working conditions tobdo so. Calling him shit every chance you get will help neither him nor the team.

We are supporters. We should support.

Didn't really sound like that from the Chadli interview where he stated that he hasn't been called in for a talk with the new boss like a lot of the other players. But there is little doubt that under Poch you can get a chance if you prove yourself.

But different players have different vantage points. Mason is up and coming, unproven, and would probably kill for a chance to prove himself, and is heavily supported when he does get a chance, whereas Paulinho is proven quality, probably one who was promised a place as a key player, has had a very rough year, and gets harassed every time he plays.

Yes, he should work hard and try to prove himself. But he is probably at a mental state where that is hard at the moment. With support from team mates, manager and the fans he might come excellent again. He has to do the job himself, but needs to be given good working conditions tobdo so. Calling him shit every chance you get will help neither him nor the team.

Even if Pochettino didn't invite him in for a talk, that doesn't mean the door is forever closed for him. I highly doubt our manager would be playing favorites so early in his reign. At some point the excuses run out and Paulinho needs to fight to get a chance. He should look to Rose as an example. Last season he was one of our most criticized players (much like Paulinho). We then bought another LB and everyone thought it was the bench or Sunderland for him. Rose has responded brilliantly to that challenge.

I agree, but there is no issue is calling him shit on a forum, we are here to debate / discuss these things.

However in the stadium your line "We are supporters. We should support" should be the same no matter who is on the pitch.

The fact that he has been sold for that price and that he made it into the brasilian team ( a sub par team for their standards but still) means he's probably a talented player that could offer something to the right team.

I dont think we are the right team and i struggle to see what he could bring to us that cant be brought by his competition at spurs, people say he does good creative runs that arent spotted by the other players in the team. Thats not what i see, i see him drifting away from his position without showing intent, i see him having terrible first touches and misplacing passes and so on. If you are always in the wrong spot for your teammates that can also mean that you are not adapting to their playing styles and as such lacking some football intelligence. Same could be said for Soldado, true but at least he genuinly seems to want to get stuck in there but appearances can be deceiving.

I do agree however that he's not had a lot of time to prove himself, that he must be low on confidence and so on but that's how football works at this level. If you dont perform, someone else will be there to take your place.

At the moment all the midfield players are ahead of him in the picking order, he's the only one that can change that.

He's getting games and will likely continue to get games in Europa and possibily the League Cup. As we've seen with Mason and Naughton, the road to the first team begins with performing in games you're given. Doesn't matter if you're playing with the second choice side, you have to go out and impress and make things happen. Same goes for Townsend, Soldado, Fazio, Bentaleb or whoever ever else: if you impress in the games you play, Pochettino will give you a chance. Simple.

How can you give up on someone who has 29 minutes in the Prem and has last season showcased he can deliver? Why haven't you given up on Lamela yet - he's done fuck all to date?

Imagine we 'gave up' on Bale and that charlatan mong sent him out on loan as he threatened at the time? You're just another victim of modern society and the instant gratification culture. Oh, and someone 'disagrees' with you on a football forum? Fucking hell!! Laughable - how old are you again?
Funny, I wasn't talking about giving up on Paulinho... And the "disagrees" are amusing because of where they've all come from.

Look in the mirror, pal.

Your constant jabs are all cruelly ironic, amusing for the fact that you laugh at someone for noticing them pile up (more like laughingly disregarding them), as you - the source - sit there spamming the button all day long just to remind everyone that you're still here.

How can anyone in their right mind demand Ade out of the team five times a day, yet bang on about how Soldado and Paulinho (the two most underperforming players of the last 14 months) deserve backing.

Back
Top Bottom