Partizan Belgrade v Tottenham Hotspur (UEFA Europa League Group Stage Match 1)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Let's just hope the "Premier League Game After The Europa League" curse doesn't strike again on Sunday!
Assuming we play the same team that played at Sunderland (likely as they're all rested) we should be completely fresh, apart from Lloris and Capoue who didn't play for long.

a tough match in a far away intimidating shithole, not a bad result at all

Stambouli MotM for me

centerbacks looked solid and Bentaleb too

never really clicked up front for us unfortunately

the Serbs were a diving bunch too and the ref as per usual in these types of matches was abit of a twat
Spot on.

Stambouli looks like a real warrior. For his first game I was impressed with Fazio's organisation, he was constantly talking and instructing the back four, something I haven't seen for a while.

What exactly do Lennon and Paulinho do is beyond me, offer nothing offensively and defensively, worrying.

Arry had a good game against Limassol. Totally pony tonight. Why he couldn't throw his mane at that cross is beyond me. It seems to me we have a few players who don't want to spoil their paint brush hair. Arry, Verts, Roberto spring to mind. IMO.

Tbh over the course of the season the squad will be stretched enough to warrant playing our second string tonight and most of the group games.
Thought we played some nice possession football but the pitch and ref made it it difficult to really establish any real fluidity.
Crossing was as mentioned already poor, and the decision making in the final third was stale.
Kane, Townsend and Davies 2nd half were all bang average and rather predictable in their movement on the ball.
In contrast I thought Stambouli, Bentaleb and the back two had solid performances. Even Lamela had a decent game when he was subbed on.
If only PB could shoot we could have easily slipped and lost that by a couple, mostly based on the second half performance.
All things considered, a good point away from home on a shoddy pitch, against a team that got at us, is okay. Shame it was such a boring game. We will qualify from this group I'm certain but whether that'll be as winners will boil down to not losing in either of the Besiktas games.

not gone through all the posts but anybody begging southampton to come back in for Townsend.We did pretty good first half second half was shocking i know the pitch was a disgrace but we are suppose to be going for a top 4 with these players we have and cannot have many shots at goal against Partizan. if that would have been a decent team we would have got turned over 2 or 3 sorry to piss on peoples chips but just saying it how i saw it

To me it felt like the rest of the front 3 were too slow for him in the first half. Not sure where all the hate is coming from, he was making intelligent one touch passes.

Lennon and Townsend offer very little in the way of creative attacking team play. Frustrating pair of one dimensional speed merchants who ruin loads of attacks through their lack of intelligence whether passing or moving on the pitch. Lennon tracks back and covers the fullback well but that's it and that's just not enough. Townsend still has youth on his side but for me he's way off a regular starting spot, he just doesn't link up with anyone well, the Jermaine Defoe of wingers but even that may not be fair on Defoe. If Poch sticks around I reckon they'll be at Hull in no time lol

Lennon and Townsend offer very little in the way of creative attacking team play. Frustrating pair of one dimensional speed merchants who ruin loads of attacks through their lack of intelligence whether passing or moving on the pitch. Lennon tracks back and covers the fullback well but that's it and that's just not enough. Townsend still has youth on his side but for me he's way off a regular starting spot, he just doesn't link up with anyone well, the Jermaine Defoe of wingers but even that may not be fair on Defoe. If Poch sticks around I reckon they'll be at Hull in no time lol
I don't know. I think the directness in Townsend game adds something that no-one else in our squad really has. It just adds another dimension when we need it and I think it's useful to have around. Lennon on the other just doesn't really have anything spectacular he can do but he's reasonably solid... I just think we've outgrown him unfortunately.

hand us the points. CUNTS
UEFA are under huge pressure to sanction Partizan Belgrade for an anti-Semitic banner that marred Tottenham's Europa League encounter on Thursday night.

A banner that read: 'Only Jews and Pussies' - a crass parody on the comedy show 'Only Fools and Horses' was on display among the home supporters in the Partizan Stadium.

The 'Only Jews and Pussies' banner was a crass parody on the comedy show 'Only Fools and Horses'

UEFA delegates were made aware of the banner before half-time, yet no effort seemed to be made to take it down.

Tottenham, who have a strong Jewish tradition, are now set to make an official complaint against the banner within the next 48 hours.

UEFA will assess the referee's match report before deciding what action to take against Partizan.

10447804_697749550318665_223132298485210457_n.jpg

I thought for sure we would see Vorm's debut today. Hugo should not have to travel to all of these group stage matches. Vorm is a quality keeper. As a B-Team goalie, he's got to be one of the best in England. FREE VORM!

hand us the points. CUNTS
UEFA are under huge pressure to sanction Partizan Belgrade for an anti-Semitic banner that marred Tottenham's Europa League encounter on Thursday night.

A banner that read: 'Only Jews and Pussies' - a crass parody on the comedy show 'Only Fools and Horses' was on display among the home supporters in the Partizan Stadium.

The 'Only Jews and Pussies' banner was a crass parody on the comedy show 'Only Fools and Horses'

UEFA delegates were made aware of the banner before half-time, yet no effort seemed to be made to take it down.

Tottenham, who have a strong Jewish tradition, are now set to make an official complaint against the banner within the next 48 hours.

UEFA will assess the referee's match report before deciding what action to take against Partizan.

10447804_697749550318665_223132298485210457_n.jpg

Guy holding the upper left corner of the banner stole Sherwood's gilet! So disrespectful. :sherwoodwtf:

The one thing that worried me today was Townsend having such a poor match, hope it doesn't worsen his already low self esteem. That ground and his running don't mix, when you play at the pace he does you've got to have confidence that the ball is going to roll rather than bounce. When Partizan had the ball the way they were passing reminded me more of beach football when they sort of chip it to one another, also Vertonghen was astounding today, looked really assured and Fazio looked solid next to him. There's a couple of moments in there mostly Paulinho and Stamboulis pirouette in the first half that will look lovely on a highlights video on YouTube for saddos like us to wanker over in a couple of years anyway.

surprise surprise - Serbia, the country that made ethnic cleansing a national sport, would have a banner like that in the crowd

At this point, it's more surprising when there are no incidents of racism at our Europa games then when there are. Sad state of affairs.

Back
Top Bottom