Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decent signing for them ... and for free.

Oh and I too agree with you about Bony. He could be a good fit for us.
Plus I didn't notice that he scored that many goals last season in his first season there: 16 in the PL and 27 overall for the Swans. Maybe if we are indeed looking to sell Siggy, I could live with a semi-swap deal for Bony with Siggy. I sort of prefer Lukaku atm (despite his rather poor WC), but if not, Bony sure is a decent second choice.

Some people have interestingly been pointing out that since Bony is better in tighter spaces, and Lukaku in space, that Bony would be a better fit for us considering we face far more parked buses than Lukaku did at West Brom and Everton. I'm inclined to agree. I don't think I've ever seen Bony lose a 50/50 on the ground, which isn't surprising considering the guy's built like a fucking Terminator on steroids. He's actually also better in the air despite being three inches shorter than Lukaku, considering he won 42.5% of his aerial duels last season compared to Lukaku's 37.82%. He also puts in rather substantial effort defensively as his defensive rating according to squawka is 120.0, compared to Lukaku's 5.37. Considering how much Poch likes the full team to press, this is a major factor. Really, I think the only reason Lukaku would be seen as more of a priority is because he's so young.

So I agree, because Swans may like to have Siggy back, and I don't particularly want to get tangled in trying to tussle with Chelsea and what ridiculous price they'd charge, I for one have flipped over to the Bony camp in this regard. Only real disadvantage of course besides age (which Bony isn't really old at 25, just older than Lukaku at 21), is that Bony would be leaving for the Africa CoN this winter, and he does of course play for one of the stronger nations that would be expected to progress further into the tournament.

Last edited:
Some people have interestingly been pointing out that since Bony is better in tighter spaces, and Lukaku in space, that Bony would be a better fit for us. I'm inclined to agree. I don't think I've ever seen Bony lose a 50/50 on the ground, which isn't surprising considering the guy's built like a fucking Terminator on steroids. He's actually also better in the air despite being three inches shorter than Lukaku, considering he won 42.5% of his aerial duels last season compared to Lukaku's 37.82%. He also puts in rather substantial effort defensively as his defensive rating according to squawka is 120.0, compared to Lukaku's 5.37. Considering how much Poch likes the full team to press, this is a major factor. Really, I think the only reason Lukaku would be seen as more of a priority is because he's so young.

So I agree, because Swans may like to have Siggy back, and I don't particularly want to get tangled in trying to tussle with Chelsea and what ridiculous price they'd charge, I for one have flipped over to the Bony camp in this regard. Only real disadvantage of course besides age (which Bony isn't really old at 25, just older than Lukaku at 21), is that Bony would be leaving for the Africa CoN this winter, and he does of course play for one of the stronger nations that would be expected to progress further into the tournament.
Isnt there any way we can put a clause in bonys contract, like if we are currently challenging for a title /top4 then he cant leave for that african mumbo jumbo?

Some people have interestingly been pointing out that since Bony is better in tighter spaces, and Lukaku in space, that Bony would be a better fit for us. I'm inclined to agree. I don't think I've ever seen Bony lose a 50/50 on the ground, which isn't surprising considering the guy's built like a fucking Terminator on steroids. He's actually also better in the air despite being three inches shorter than Lukaku, considering he won 42.5% of his aerial duels last season compared to Lukaku's 37.82%. He also puts in rather substantial effort defensively as his defensive rating according to squawka is 120.0, compared to Lukaku's 5.37. Considering how much Poch likes the full team to press, this is a major factor. Really, I think the only reason Lukaku would be seen as more of a priority is because he's so young.

Nice read and solids points there. Tbh, I didn't know that much about Bony.
And you may have started to convince me in his favor for first choice.
Let's hope Levy is on the same page with you.

Isnt there any way we can put a clause in bonys contract, like if we are currently challenging for a title /top4 then he cant leave for that african mumbo jumbo?

I honestly have no idea how that would work, but I would imagine requesting a player not represent his country in those situations is not a great leverage point in any negotiations.

Nice read and solids points there. Tbh, I didn't know that much about Bony.
And you may have started to convince me in his favor for first choice.
Let's hope Levy is on the same page with you.

Edited actually, left out a rather crucial point about how we face far more parked buses than Lukaku has in his last two seasons. Of course, I'm aware you know that, just rather important to have pointed out in the context of the space issue.

I honestly have no idea how that would work, but I would imagine requesting a player not represent his country in those situations is not a great leverage point in any negotiations.
No, not at all. During the Suarez meltdown on RAWK, there were plenty of calls for LFC never to release a player for International duty again. History does not record how they think this will help in trying to attract top players to Anfield.

No, not at all. During the Suarez meltdown on RAWK, there were plenty of calls for LFC never to release a player for International duty again. History does not record how they think this will help in trying to attract top players to Anfield.

That is fucking shameful. Not only should a club never stand between a player and representing his country in competitive matches barring health issues, but that essentially seeks to deflect the blame on Suarez for his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom