Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My issue with LVG is the manner in which he appears to have prostituted himself to the Premier League before a ball has been kicked in the World Cup...if you half believe the reports. If united go in for him it inflates his ego even further that he has a choice of 2 high profile jobs in England. He will opt for united to massage his ego of having managed all the biggest global names. If they don't make a move for him, he will come to us for the pay cheque, not to aim for the stars with a good young squad. His whole demeanour has the Redknapp's about it.

My issue with LVG is the manner in which he appears to have prostituted himself to the Premier League before a ball has been kicked in the World Cup...if you half believe the reports. If united go in for him it inflates his ego even further that he has a choice of 2 high profile jobs in England. He will opt for united to massage his ego of having managed all the biggest global names. If they don't make a move for him, he will come to us for the pay cheque, not to aim for the stars with a good young squad. His whole demeanour has the Redknapp's about it.

He's a free agent mate. He doesn't owe anyone anything. If you were searching for a job wouldn't you hold out for the better and higher paying one if you had the chance? Of course you would. He's conducting himself like any of us would in a job search where we had no emotional connection.

Unfortunately, there isn't a single manager out there who would choose us over United if given the choice. You can say LVG is a cunt and has an obnoxious ego for his previous actions but I don't think that picking United over us is an example of that. Every manager would do it.

Also if you've ever listened to anything LVG has said you'll know he isn't in it for the money like many are. The guy only wants to be known as one of the greatest to ever manage. If he ends up coming here we will get his best effort, I'm certain of that.

I don't disagree that he's a top manager. His record is pretty impressive. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that publicly flirting with the press & clubs about his next move smacks to me of the way Redknapp conducted himself over the England job. I found that toe curling & was glad when he didn't get the England job, & then got the push at the end of the season. I just have my doubts that LVG wants to come to us & is using our interest as bait to other clubs. Some might say "who could blame him?" But it's an uncomfortable thought.

While I certainly agree with you that it isn't desirable, it is nothing original from LvG. It is a trait of Dutch football, as they deem it polite to inform people involved as to their intentions for the sake of communication and optimization of plans going forward.

I don't disagree that he's a top manager. His record is pretty impressive. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that publicly flirting with the press & clubs about his next move smacks to me of the way Redknapp conducted himself over the England job. I found that toe curling & was glad when he didn't get the England job, & then got the push at the end of the season. I just have my doubts that LVG wants to come to us & is using our interest as bait to other clubs. Some might say "who could blame him?" But it's an uncomfortable thought.

Understand what you're saying but with Redknapp he was in a contract and committed to a club. At the club level LVG is a free agent. It is totally within his rights to look around. Redknapp was being duplicitous which Van Gaal isn't doing.

I think LVG is perfectly content coming to us but when seemingly United reached out to him through back channels in the last few weeks he decided to take a run at that job with us as the backup. While I would prefer not to be a backup, United is a top 3 club in the world. We'll never be that. We have to deal with the reality that when clubs like United want the same player or manager as us that we're going to lose out 999 times out of 1,000.

Understand what you're saying but with Redknapp he was in a contract and committed to a club. At the club level LVG is a free agent. It is totally within his rights to look around. Redknapp was being duplicitous which Van Gaal isn't doing.

I think LVG is perfectly content coming to us but when seemingly United reached out to him through back channels in the last few weeks he decided to take a run at that job with us as the backup. While I would prefer not to be a backup, United is a top 3 club in the world. We'll never be that. We have to deal with the reality that when clubs like United want the same player or manager as us that we're going to lose out 999 times out of 1,000.

Is Zeki that one out of 1000?

I don't think LvG will come to us. I mean why would he? If he want to "test" what it is like to manage a premier league team and simultaneously be remembered as someone that achieved greatness... United is the perfect choice for him. He will get a world top club that have experienced one really bad year [it is only upwards from now]. And, he will gett a large lump of cash to splash on transfers [knowingly that the Glazers understands they cannot afford to loose out of CL again]. Ultimately, LvG can walk away from ManU and hand over the keys to Giggs after 3 years at the realm – with a smile on his face knowing that "I am the fucking man that rescued United and brought success to the club! Please honey suck my ginger balls"

The only way he will end up taking over Spurs is if ManU decides to get another manger.

I don't think LvG will come to us. I mean why would he? If he want to "test" what it is like to manage a premier league team and simultaneously be remembered as someone that achieved greatness... United is the perfect choice for him. He will get a world top club that have experienced one really bad year [it is only upwards from now]. And, he will gett a large lump of cash to splash on transfers [knowingly that the Glazers understands they cannot afford to loose out of CL again]. Ultimately, LvG can walk away from ManU and hand over the keys to Giggs after 3 years at the realm – with a smile on his face knowing that "I am the fucking man that rescued United and brought success to the club! Please honey suck my ginger balls"

The only way he will end up taking over Spurs is if ManU decides to get another manger.
Depends how you look at it. The expectation will also be higher at United. If he gets us a couple of CL runs then he can claim to have brought success to us. United, on the other hand, will expect the league title again and again. If he doesn't much up to Fergie's record there is the risk of being overall regarded as a failure who couldn't match up.

Double edged sword.

But I suppose the difference there, was that Redknapp was still OUR manager at the time!

Point's already been made, that as of July 14th, HGVLvG is free to pick and choose as he pleases!

Looks like we won't be getting Van Gaal after all, seemed too good to be true at times. Can't help but think that he waited all this time for the United job to be available and then sign for them.

Really? When people want to find a new job they send out their CV to prospective employers and tout it round agencies and job banks. How do his actions differ in reality? He has the advantage of being a highly reputable and high profile, almost celebrity figure - and achieve the same dissemination of information via public broadcasting.
Your comments seem to be centred around the fact that you are pissed at him for being linked to a higher profile job, as if you were outraged that he might be being unfaithful to Spurs, despite not having a contract or being salaried by the club.

Or has he........?
(not that I think it would be worth much, if he has signed a contract already)

I fucking hate the idea of United getting him though, their fans are so fucking entitled. Saw a bunch of them writing stuff like "I think LvG is gonna take over, hopefully with De Boer as his assistant." fucking pricks.
Couldn't agree more. It's irrational of me, & I hear the argument that he's a complete professional who wants to manage the best & be the best, but if we are second choice then I don't want him at Tottenham. In purely footballing terms we are better than united for the first time in EPL history. United are a bigger brand for sure, but why not take a chance on spurs on the basis that we have a great tradition & LVG could become part of the club's history, taking us to that elusive next level. If he really wants to test himself to the limits & prove himself to be the best, then what better way than coming to spurs? United is a far safer option. Bottomless war chest, huge global franchise etc. if he goes to united it will be expected but no less infuriating.

Back
Top Bottom