Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Take a look at how many people agree with you and how many agree with me.

Most don't like his attitude. I don't think they are batshit crazy enough to claim hes not a top defender (or could ever be one which is even more hilarious).

Because everyone in football will tell you he is a top defender. Its the clown car of English players that make us soft as shit (bar Walker) that embarrassed us, along with your boy AVB. Unless Barca were rumoured to be after them...I may have missed that one.

Most don't like his attitude. I don't think they are batshit crazy enough to claim hes not a top defender (or could ever be one which is even more hilarious).

because everyone in football will tell you he is a top defender.

Will they? Find them

Does he:

Give 200% every game
Gladly play out of position for the good of the team without complaining to the press?
Set a good example to younger team mates
Perform with a do-or-die attitude to his game even when his team are playing badly

Note: this is the part you are supposed to reply to, not go back 8 pages to quote something irrelevant to suit your agenda or not to make yourself into the metaphorical horse.

Last edited:
Will they? Find them

Does he:

Give 200% every game
Glady play out of position for the good of the team without complaining to the press?
Set a good example to younger team mates
Perform with a do-or-die attitude to his game even when his team are playing badly

Note: this is the part you are supposed to reply to, not go back 8 pages to quote something irrelevant to suit your agenda or not to make yourself into the metaphorical horse.

Dawson would do that for you. Not sure if 200% is a thing though. Just more chest b(l)eating.

Vert is cool, calm and collected. Unless it plays to his advantage not to be (because he is very clever and will do what it takes to win).'

Like I said, Daws can do all of that. So would Teemu. Not sure if you are in tune with modern athletes. You seem to have some bygone age/cartoon character thing going on.

Dawson would do that for you. Not sure if 200% is a thing though. Just more chest b(l)eating.

Vert is cool, calm and collected. Unless it plays to his advantage not to be (because he is very clever and will do what it takes to win).'

Like I said, Daws can do all of that. So would Teemu. Not sure if you are in tune with modern athletes. You seem to have some bygone age/cartoon character thing going on.

This is not the Dawson thread. It's fuck all to do with Teemu Tianio. Are you not capable of answering a simple question?

Will they? Find them

Read the comments. When does the kneejerk kick in? Oh yeah. Recently. Was that you that called him a faggot?

So, 714 likes. Multiple fans drooling over him from other clubs. Then...suddenly, he's a faggot.

ppreflex.gif

Class is permanent. Unfortunately fickle fans like you are permanent too.

This is not the Dawson thread. It's fuck all to do with Teemu Tianio. Are you not capable of answering a simple question?

I said he is cool, calm and calculated. I answered your rigged question.

Can you link to any Spurs players who say he is a bad influence on them? Your questions were bollocks. 200%. They do that over here a lot. Won't be happy until you leave on a stretcher from over exhaustion. That is NOT how you play a season with 4 competitions. Please..evolve.

I said he is cool, calm and calculated. I answered your rigged question.

Can you link to any Spurs players who say he is a bad influence on them? Your questions were bollocks. 200%. They do that over here a lot. Won't be happy until you leave on a stretcher from over exhaustion. That is NOT how you play a season with 4 competitions. Please..evolve.

Ladies and Gentlemen, classic Gibbs.

sheldon.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen, classic Gibbs.

sheldon.gif

I'm crushed. He's a genius. You can't even get your put downs right. I am not surprised you tried to steer it away from talking about modern athletes who dont run themselves into the ground, overextend etc. Like your boy AVB expecting Lamela to bust a gut. Some players glide.

Last edited:
Our Kryptonite was Soldado, getting crossed to by IDIOT players who thinks he can challenge a parked bus on his own and him getting obliterated. That is why Dembele has to be an AM in he final third. He can roll that bus on its side, and Ade also has beef. Then Eriksen and Lamela should be more open for the excellent passing stats Dembele has in the final third. Ade also had a dozen prem assists in one season, he is good at distribution int he final third.

Dembele should be beating people and passing in the box. Not in his own half like that village idiot AVB made him do in a sad, withdrawn defensive role.

The main thing: Ade, Eriksen and Lamela have a history of SCORING AND CREATING. IMO Soldado will also find his feet without remedial buildup from our so called wingplay.

You're still using the 'Soldado's service sucks/sucked' excuse? Don't really understand how, then, it is that you can't grasp why we all think you're an idiot.

That, on top of the fact that you seem to think Dembele has an eye for creative passing.

All of this, of course, on top of the fact that you think taking backtracking duties away from two of our players will make the team defensively sound. Do you not see the contradiction there...?

It will probably happen here because of bitches like you. If enough of you say stupid shit like Vert will never be a good player or Eriksen would not do much better than Townsend shooting...Then history happens and you look like tits, you tend to flock together and get me banned to shut me up.

No... I think you probably just get banned for saying stuff like this ^^^^

(also, more shots doesn't always mean more goals ya dingus. You can't form a logical argument based on that premise..like.. at all)

Because I have an agenda.

I have to tell the dumb "entertain me" brigade that Vert is quality, Paulinho is quality, Dembele is quality, Capoue is quality, Bentaleb is quality...But they can't see it because they are not doing stepovers, have a funny twitter account or have insane pace. They have the steel, intelligence and well rounded athleticism we need for a long season.

Lol

except when they're injured for two months

Last edited:
What do you think of Lennon and Townsend having 1 assist combined all season?

You are not very good at this.

I personally think you're not getting your stats from the right source.

Heaven forbid.

(P.S. This isn't the Lennon or the Townsend thread, it may surprise you to know this isn't one clusterfuck of topics with different outlets just to keep the Gibberish guessing)

On topic, as I missed your post before, you seem to struggle to differentiate between a good defender, a very good defender and a top defender. Using YouTube to somehow look for credibility is either hilarious or the epitome of desperation.

I suggest you drop your "everyone is either fucking useless or incredibly amazing, even when shit" routine, as it's not doing you any favours. You're going apeshit because we (not you involved) were discussing the concept that Vertonghen will not, based on this current active season of both form and a number of observations including attitude and work rate, become a 'top' defender.

Again, as you struggle to understand what 'top' is, it is in reference to a level that makes a category of players worthy of an 'all-time' list. This doesn't include the "when they show up" type of player, nor the weak willed and self-concerned types.

The characteristics that you think are a "trick question" are the very things that will keep a player like Jan from reaching the top of his profession, and that is a shame as players like Dawson and Parker don't have the technical ability to be anywhere near the best in the game, but they deserve respect for everything they are than Jan is not currently turning out to be.

In all serious though KeaneBean KeaneBean , some people might only ever expect a player to do what he's paid to do in the position he's paid to do - that's the 100%.

A top class player sacrifices himself to do more, it's the quality Rooney has that has almost been to his discredit as people don't understand why he tracks back to get back the ball he let go, or why Holtby expends such energy, why Parker used to throw himself face first in front of a shot at our open goal, or why Ledley used to run the length of the pitch to support an attack although you could see he was in pain

There's probably more examples, but giving 200% is just another way to say 'above and beyond'. Based on the previous reference, Gibbs doesn't understand this and thinks it means physical effort, when it's not - it's a state of mind. A commitment to the team.

Back
Top Bottom