Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Brazilian midfielder Paulinho has failed to rule out leaving Spurs following media questioning regarding his future. #THFC

Would noooooooooot miss him. Wouldn't mind him having a stormer of a WC, inflated price and fob to Roma. A passenger more often than not.

Could not agree more. If we even make cash back on him we could more than substantially improve the squad.

6 goals in a squad coached by managers who have yet to make full use of the talent he brings from midfield (hell, the talent ANYONE brings from midfield)

I'm tellin ya, with the right coach in there this guy would be scoring bucketloads

6 goals in a squad coached by managers who have yet to make full use of the talent he brings from midfield (hell, the talent ANYONE brings from midfield)

I'm tellin ya, with the right coach in there this guy would be scoring bucketloads

Have you seen the opportunities this guy's had in the box? If the result of those chances can be blamed on the manager or any other party than himself, then I'm blaming you that Buckingham Palace isn't my summer home.

Its gonna be hard for him atm to get a starting position. Can see TS looking to place Dembele, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Chadli in front of him so realistically he has to compete with Sandro, Townie, Siggy, Lennon for serious game time.

Its gonna be hard for him atm to get a starting position. Can see TS looking to place Dembele, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Chadli in front of him so realistically he has to compete with Sandro, Townie, Siggy, Lennon for serious game time.

Well, the wingers don't really pose a threat to his playing time, but that Tim called upon Siggy in a hopeful comeback says it all. This man is way down the pecking order at the moment, and some of you are kidding yourselves if you don't believe it's merited from recent performances in particular.

Have you seen the opportunities this guy's had in the box? If the result of those chances can be blamed on the manager or any other party than himself, then I'm blaming you that Buckingham Palace isn't my summer home.

Fair enough, but I'm not talking about the missed chances. Everyone always raises hell with me for bringing up Soldado's egregious misses, so I'll extend the same courtesy to Pauli. You also can't ignore that he has had 6 goals for us this term, some of which have been massive.

I simply mean that a new coach would be able to figure out how to prevent him from "going missing" as some have complained he often does. Just as I'm sure a new coach would be able to help Dembele figure out exactly what he is, where to play Carroll if he comes back and how to integrate a players as talented as Holtby, Capoue and Bentaleb into the squad.

We have so many different midfielders who are good at different things, so getting rid of one of them is something that'll inevitably happen.. problem is, we won't know who the next coach is going to be and who he'll prefer due to tactics. Just a wait and see type deal. All I'm saying is I wouldn't write Pauli off just yet-- he definitely offers something that the other ones don't have in terms of goals. Bad tactics have just made good midfielders look like one big amorphous blob this season.

....how do you know for sure it isn't my fault that Buckingham Palace isn't your summer home?

Fair enough, but I'm not talking about the missed chances. Everyone always raises hell with me for bringing up Soldado's egregious misses, so I'll extend the same courtesy to Pauli. You also can't ignore that he has had 6 goals for us this term, some of which have been massive.

I simply mean that a new coach would be able to figure out how to prevent him from "going missing" as some have complained he often does. Just as I'm sure a new coach would be able to help Dembele figure out exactly what he is, where to play Carroll if he comes back and how to integrate a players as talented as Holtby, Capoue and Bentaleb into the squad.

We have so many different midfielders who are good at different things, so getting rid of one of them is something that'll inevitably happen.. problem is, we won't know who the next coach is going to be and who he'll prefer due to tactics. Just a wait and see type deal. All I'm saying is I wouldn't write Pauli off just yet-- he definitely offers something that the other ones don't have in terms of goals. Bad tactics have just made good midfielders look like one big amorphous blob this season.

....how do you know for sure it isn't my fault that Buckingham Palace isn't your summer home?

You make a fair point, and I don't blame you for holding out hope, but for me all patience is gone. I haven't been impressed with him much as a player as is, and his recent listless displays of laziness and apathy have severed the tie for me. Soldado is rewarded patience because he so obviously cares very much and wants to be a successful striker for us. Paulinho on the other hand, quite clearly sees us as just another road.

I would play paulihno over siggy, Townsend, bentaleb, soldado and Lennon. Normally I would play him before Chadli too but ade out and an in form Chadli makes sense.

Paulihno is not in form now, but both brazillians should be on the pitch if both fit.

You make a fair point, and I don't blame you for holding out hope, but for me all patience is gone. I haven't been impressed with him much as a player as is, and his recent listless displays of laziness and apathy have severed the tie for me. Soldado is rewarded patience because he so obviously cares very much and wants to be a successful striker for us. Paulinho on the other hand, quite clearly sees us as just another road.

fair enough.

I'd be remiss if I didn't admit his quote about potentially leaving bothered me. Hopefully it was just the media taking it out of context, but if not... Pauli, you got some splainin to do.

Haha gibbs131 how in the hell can you "disagree" with this? A) Mathematically speaking alone, he's missed a plethora of easy chances in the box, and b) the second part is a joke. So what are you disagreeing with? The Laws of Physics or that I should blame someone else for Buckingham not being my summer chill spot?

Haha gibbs131 how in the hell can you "disagree" with this? A) Mathematically speaking alone, he's missed a plethora of easy chances in the box, and b) the second part is a joke. So what are you disagreeing with? The Laws of Physics or that I should blame someone else for Buckingham not being my summer chill spot?

It's because you didn't talk shit about any of the English players, I suspect.

Gibbs tends to talk crap about the majority of the team and expects everyone to fall at his knees in awe, yet doesn't afford the same luxury to anyone else.

B.O.T.

Has anyone else got the suspicion that we are Kryptonite to Brazilian players?

Gibbs tends to talk crap about the majority of the team and expects everyone to fall at his knees in awe, yet doesn't afford the same luxury to anyone else.

B.O.T.

more like Kryptonite to any kind of player

I know it's frowned upon to bring up the subject of how poor our medical staff may or may not be, but I mean come on... is it really a fluke that we're this unlucky year in and out?

I go on trends, history etc. He has 11 goals in all comps this season. I have been on his back for his finishing this year, but he has quality and he can hold his own in all aspects of the game. We need more complete players. He is anti soft Spurs, and has been a big part of keeping us in the run by making us hard to break down through the middle.

Most of our failures as a team have been caused by being ripped apart down the wings on counters. We should be worried about that, not one of our best midfielders like Paulinho.

Personally I think Paulinho has a lot to offer but we haven't seen the best of him yet.

Read this for a statistical overview of his season vs Bentaleb and Dembele - http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/03/30/stats-should-paulinho-be-starting-for-tottenham/

Think that next season Paulinho could be a really important player for us. He needs to get his shooting boots on and toughen up in the tackle...COYS

Pauli is a star in the making with abit of stability and good man management to get that confidence up. People who'd flog him after one season are idiots especially if you look at all the bullshit that went on at his club completely killing squad morale and confidence this season. Sandro and Pauli is a CL quality midfield base with the right man pulling the strings then you just pop Eriksen in there and you're flying. More importantly we need a proper fuckn manager before we consider selling anybody.

B.O.T.

Talk crap about English players? He mentioned mathematically speaking etc after being amazed that I don't agree with his opinion.

In all comps this season:

Paulinho has taken 57 shots. And scored 11 times.
Townsend has taken 77. And scored 3. (one was a scuffed cross)
Lennon has taken 22 and scored 1.

So that is why I disagree, and why I don't rate all but 2 of our English players. Why do you keep ignoring Walker is my favorite player?

Why can't you handle the debate without hitting sin bin etc and rallying people to mock me? Stay on topic.

Last edited:
For those of you who are more patient with this player, what has he done to impress you? Have you honestly seen anything that suggests a worth of 17 mil GBP? If so, I'm very curious as to what.

Back
Top Bottom