Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I absolutely agree that Paulo has been disappointing for the majority, but I was wondering: the sighting of Paulo appearing unfazed/monotone at the winning goal ... did people only notice that from pictures, or did it appear as such also in live/video too (for longer than a second)?

I didn't get to watch the game, so i dont know much, but maybe it's not as it seems ... as in like it was one of those "O ... M ... G, I can't believe that went in ... I'm fuckin blank" type of emotions.

I'm not defending Paulo's performances, but just saying that we could be reading too much into that scene. People do handle emotions in different ways.

You're certainly right here, and to be fair, my "last straw" was pretty damn thin.

I couldn't care less that he's an international superstar on a major cup-winning team, I care about how he performs for us. He's been a mediocre Prem-level CM for us at best, whose performance during a game clearly degrades when the going gets tough. We could sell him for what we paid and find a more need-suiting replacement with cash left over.

Last edited:
You're certainly right here, and to be fair, my "last straw" was pretty damn thin.

I couldn't care less that he's an international superstar on a major cup-winning team, I care about how he performs for us. He's been a mediocre Prem-level CM for us at best, who's performance during a game clearly degrades when the going gets tough. We could sell him for what we paid and find a more need-suiting replacement with cash left over.

Agreed, there is also the practical considerations. We have far to many midfielders and we need cash to get a new left back and one or two strikers, if we can get £20 million we can also get Benteke and at least Remy who are far more required and lets be honest Eriksen is a class above Paulinho in the AM position.

I wouldn't be too bothered if we sold Paulinho and used the proceeds to strengthen other areas, but I do feel that he might be more effective attacking the area and looking for shots and headers on goal (rather than as a box-to-box or deeper midfielder). It's just a very crowded part of the pitch for us now, especially if you consider Chadli and Lamela as options there too.

Agreed, there is also the practical considerations. We have far to many midfielders and we need cash to get a new left back and one or two strikers, if we can get £20 million we can also get Benteke and at least Remy who are far more required and lets be honest Eriksen is a class above Paulinho in the AM position.

Well Paulinho plays more as a BTB midfielder, so that's not quite the comparison I'd make. At this point, I have no qualms with playing Bentaleb at the position over Paulinho. However, while we do have a plethora of CM's, I still think we need a dynamic BTB CM or something similar to a deep-lying playmaker to connect things. We just don't have anyone who can appropriately transition the ball from the back line to attacking positions adequately at the moment.

I wouldn't be too bothered if we sold Paulinho and used the proceeds to strengthen other areas, but I do feel that he might be more effective attacking the area and looking for shots and headers on goal (rather than as a box-to-box or deeper midfielder). It's just a very crowded part of the pitch for us now, especially if you consider Chadli and Lamela as options there too.

With as many wanks as that man's had in front of goal, I don't think he deserves that consideration at all. That one against Fulham is entirely covered up by the fact we came back to win that game, but had we not, he'd be slagged relentlessly for it and deservedly so. One of the most disgraceful misses from the six I've ever seen, not to mention at the top flight professional level.

Ummm...Sig. Despite his goal yesterday, he is a squad player at best. His recent "good form" should be enough to raise his value in the summer where we dont suffer a loss.
I think Sig brings something different to the role.
Paulinho does the same job as Dembele and Bentaleb, but not as well.
He looks good in a technically gifted Brazilian side, he just has to do the running around.

With as many wanks as that man's had in front of goal, I don't think he deserves that consideration at all. That one against Fulham is entirely covered up by the fact we came back to win that game, but had we not, he'd be slagged relentlessly for it and deservedly so. One of the most disgraceful misses from the six I've ever seen, not to mention at the top flight professional level.

I didn't know what kind of player we were getting in the Summer, and after almost a season I still don't have much clue. But from what it seems, I think most can agree he is a box-to-box player that should pop up with goals. And it's this should part that irritates me the most about this player.

I do believe he pops up in decent positions, but his shooting accuracy is just :paulinhofacepalm:.
Some of those efforts ... were ... well, :adewtf:.

If Paulo is to stay here and have the fans appreciate him more, he needs attempt more of those flicks that we loved against Stoke ... needs to up his Joga Bonito magic. And if anything, he NEEDS to definitely improve his shooting.

I didn't know what kind of player we were getting in the Summer, and after almost a season I still don't have much clue. But from what it seems, I think most can agree he is a box-to-box player that should pop up with goals. And it's this should part that irritates me the most about this player.

I do believe he pops up in decent positions, but his shooting accuracy is just :paulinhofacepalm:.

If Paulo is to stay here and have the fans appreciate him more, he needs attempt more of those flicks that we loved against Stoke ... needs to up his Joga Bonito magic. And if anything, he NEEDS to definitely improve his shooting.

Could do with cracking a smile now and then too

Spends a lot of time with his hand stuck to his face :paulinhofacepalm::paulinhobored:
info_1371411206.jpg

Edit:

Anyone ever noticed he has a wonky arm

paulinho-getty-brazil.jpg

He's a box to box midfielder whose main attribute is popping up into great spaces; he's our fourth leading scorer with 6, only 5 less than our two strikers (though to be fair, Ade didn't play half the season)-- he honestly hasn't been any worse than the rest of 'em. If we're all about givin people time and an 'extra year' (looking at all the people who come to Soldado's defense 24/7) then I really don't see why we wouldn't extend the same courtesy to him.

Yeah he's occasionally looked like shit, but can anyone honestly name one player for us this season who hasn't? Lloris maybe, if you forgive his mistakes due to style of play. Our central midfielders have just had a difficult time this season--AVB had them too restricted, and Sherwood, as I think we can all agree, doesn't exactly have the best tactical nous. The right manager would certainly know how to play this guy successfully, just as he will with Dembele, Soldado, Lamela, etc etc.

It's just been one of those seasons.

*edit: Are we really commenting on his disposition...? we're the moodiest buncha fuckers around

I think he deserves another season. I'm not a big fan of his, but I think that he could very, very easily have 10 goals this season. I think that if he had just a little more accuracy earlier on this season and maintained that accuracy through the full season he could pretty easily have 15-20 goals. I feel like he could be a sensational goal scorer. That said, I don't think he is the player we are looking for in the role he plays. I can see him having a breakout goal scoring season next season and us wanting to move him on for big money.

*edit: Are we really commenting on his disposition...? we're the moodiest buncha fuckers around

If you mean me, I'm joking.

Our team is only good for two things in "midfield" right now - an AM/F9 or a DM.

No one else is flattered by the play right now.

Is it just me, or is the premier league so tactical now that every team is boring as shit to watch and all the midfielders are stifled?

He came billed as a Lampard type player who made late runs into the box and scored goals from the midfield. He certainly makes good runs but as you said his accuracy is heinous. If you're going to be labelled as that type of player you would expect him to ruthless in front of goal.

He's clearly checked out since his injury as he's terrified of getting injured before the World Cup. I've been bullish on selling him because he's frustrated me and I feel we have too many midfielders who can't pass and that he's the most expendable of them. But on the other hand, I could see him coming back from the World Cup and having a big uptick in production next year. We'll see.

If you mean me, I'm joking.

Our team is only good for two things in "midfield" right now - an AM/F9 or a DM.

No one else is flattered by the play right now.

Is it just me, or is the premier league so tactical now that every team is boring as shit to watch and all the midfielders are stifled?

I mean you, me AND Dupree, bud. I sometimes catch myself thinkin about mopey Jan only to realize I'm moping about mopey Jan and mopey Pauli and mopey Soldado. All I can seem to do this season is mope :(

Dunno... Yaya sticks out to me as one who hasn't looked too stifled, but there doesn't seem to have been many other dynamic performers from the center this year. We in for him in the summer?

:bae:

Yeah, the world cup is definitely on his mind and responsible for his performance this season.
If he stays next season, he surely should be better than this season.

Paulinho showed he's got a great reading of the game and engine. The bloke popped up in the box loads this season only for his finishing to let him down which imo was most likely down to him getting use to the pace of the game and confidence. All the goings on behind the scenes fucked everything so properly judging new players is nigh on impossible after our comedy club act this season. It's going to take a real strong character to steady the ship this time around too.

Brazilian midfielder Paulinho has failed to rule out leaving Spurs following media questioning regarding his future. #THFC

Would noooooooooot miss him. Wouldn't mind him having a stormer of a WC, inflated price and fob to Roma. A passenger more often than not.

Back
Top Bottom