I've melted.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The football under Redknapp gets wildly over egged.
There were times where it was sensational, but these were generally short stints.
In the main we based our game on a solid defence and individuals ability to forge something on instinct in front of it.
People complain about AVBs inability to get the attacking set up right, all too often under Redknapp we had the same issues. Nice play up to the final 3rd and then a complate lack of ideas and the ball goes backwards...
And very much like now we only looked really convincing in attack when on the break.
I thought we ground out results for the most part, kept in the game by a very good defence relying on our collective talent to win through in the end. I think thats why his record against the top teams was still lacking (albeit much better than those that came before or since), we didnt have a system of play, a method, we had quality individuals that could come together as one on occasion.
My general feeling under Redknapp was one of frustration, I always thought it clear there was so much more to come from that group that he would never realise.
Nostalgia is a powerful emotion. It seemed to me that most other people had forgotten. Good to see that some people were paying attention.

It's not about over or under achieving, it's just that they weren't the halcyon days many make them out to be.

Im addressing the last line....which implies Harry didnt get the best out the squad....which implies that we underachieved.

I disagree with the rest, but he's entitled to his view. But that line is too much.

LOL....now 4th twice and CL quarters in three seasons was underachieving
Do you think that was 100% the best we could produce with those players?
I always felt there was more to come from them, certainly performance wise.

Thats not try to belittle what they did achieve at all. Just to say I thought there was more in there to be realised.

ohh do fuck off

AVB and Baldini aren't the ones who regularly sell our very best players then hit the self destruct button mid season. The people with a vested interest in the financial side of Tottenham are the problem as they're scared to sit at the table with the big boys incase it back fires and they actually have to spend some of their own money. Selling Bale our best ever player made it the worst transfer window ever, the 7 guys we brought in are all of a good quality.
selling our best players???
bale and modric basically cried there way to Madrid refusing to go to training, levy done well in getting that amount of money you fool!. and weather it was our own money or the money of bale at the end of the day its still £100 million, and we have nothing really to show. stop been so fickle and open your eyes

I like being shit the whole season rather than shit just for the second part. And the fans booed Redknapp sides too from what I remember so it's not just Johnny Foreigner who has ruined it.
so your seriously telling me you have enjoyed the last season and a half better that redknapps reign? ..seriously?..and its baldini and avb who spent the money no one else

Fine. You're welcome to go follow Harry. I hear that he's reinventing modern football over at QPR.

FFS, any dispassionate observer examining Spurs for the first time would infer from the august words used to characterize Redknapp's reign that we won half a dozen league titles and cups under the man.
4th placed finish
trip to the san siro
trip to the bernabau
semi-final fa cup at wembley
exciting attacking football
ohh and took us from the bottom of the league and saved our season under juande ramos.
so tell me alan Hansen, who is our best manager over the last 10 years

I always felt there was more to come from them, certainly performance wise.

Thats not try to belittle what they did achieve at all. Just to say I thought there was more in there to be realised.
look at what we had, now look at what were left with. worse thing is there is a transfer window coming up and baldini is on the loose

Injuries or no injuries. In form or out of form. The simple fact that we spent 100million on 7 players in the summer, and not one of them started at Chelsea, proves to me there is something inherently rotten at the core of our club. It starts at the top and feeds its way down. This could only ever happen at Spurs.

semi-final fa cup at wembley

Yes, those were certainly two games we can all look back on with fondness, losing to a bankrupt Portsmouth side, and getting thoroughly raped by Chelsea.

We really should have done better in the cups during that time. With the players we had, we could have won the Europa league, if we had tried, and certainly should have picked up at least one domestic cup.

Im saying its easy to look back and think that we should have come 3rd...but at the time, it was even suggested we were punching above our weight....we won at the San Siro with Palacios, Pienaar and Crouch for God sake.

Maybe people expected us to beat Real Madrid too, who knows.

Beating arse, Chelsea and City to get 4th that year was immense. A long forgotten feeling, and not since remembered (other than our CL run at times)

How we forget..

so tell me alan Hansen, who is our best manager over the last 10 years

... AVB?

:troll:

But seriously. We lost Bale, we lost Modric, and we lost VdV. Those were massive losses and the habit of continually trading away out best players has caught up to us, but on a squad basis we've got more quality throughout Spurs than at any point in the recent past. At some point we've got to stick with what we've got. I, for one, am optimistic about the future of Spurs. Most people on here are suggesting that we can fix our problems by repeating the same mistakes.

...but at the time, it was even suggested we were punching above our weight....we won at the San Siro with Palacios, Pienaar and Crouch for God sake.
We were hardly rampant though were we? That performance was characteristic of the type that we all snickered at Chelsea over during their unlucky run in winning the CL. We just held the line after Crouch's goal against the run of play, but good lord was Sandro magnificent. Birth of a legend?

Im saying its easy to look back and think that we should have come 3rd...but at the time, it was even suggested we were punching above our weight....we won at the San Siro with Palacios, Pienaar and Crouch for God sake.

Maybe people expected us to beat Real Madrid too, who knows.

Beating arse, Chelsea and City to get 4th that year was immense. A long forgotten feeling, and not since remembered (other than our CL run at times)

How we forget..

I was thinking more domestically, to be honest. The CL cup run was fantasy stuff riding a wave. I fully expected to come up short against Real Madrid over two legs, would have been ridiculous to think otherwise.

We lost, drew or generally underperformed in far too many games, IMO. We made huge strides forward, then fell short of where I believe we could have reached. I put that down for the most part to a lack of underlying strategy, but theres another story.

Long story short, while I enjoyed where we were and where we were heading I think Redknapp exhausted what he could offer before the team did. Hence I think there was untapped potential.

That is by no means a Harry bashing either.

We were hardly rampant though were we? That performance was characteristic of the type that we all snickered at Chelsea over during their unlucky run in winning the CL. We just held the line after Crouch's goal against the run of play, but good lord was Sandro magnificent. Birth of a legend?

And that is what I mean by the sense of entitlement. Winning away against AC Milan was not good enough.....because we didnt go on the rampage and beat them 6-0.

Tearing Inter a new one doesnt even quench your thirst. Fuck me. This place gets sicker in the head with every passing day.

I was thinking more domestically, to be honest.

And as I said...if you think 4th was underachieving, despite our faults, then I think a sense of entitlement is having a huge effect on your view.

We were in unchartered territory just a couple seasons after we all celebrated our UEFA Cup European Tour like the second coming of Christ. It was the next level, and if you moaned about wanting more then, well fine.

I would think anyone who did moan then was a complete cunt, but at least they wasnt lauding it and being delighted at the time......and then a few years later acting like it was all a bit mundane.

And that is what I mean by the sense of entitlement. Winning away against AC Milan was not good enough.....because we didnt go on the rampage and beat them 6-0.

Tearing Inter a new one doesnt even quench your thirst. Fuck me. This place gets sicker in the head with every passing day.
:lennon:
What the fuck is this? I thought that I was the one cunting fans off for their sense of entitlement in this thread...

Sammy, you never cease to amaze me when it comes to melting after reading too far into what someone has said.

Back
Top Bottom