Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know lots have already said it but Sarr is already undroppable for us. What a player we have on our hands. He was fucking everywhere man. Udogie was superb as well - two absolute gems there.
Great half for Dragusin too - looks composed and good on the ball and off it.
What a result - 2nd half was an absolute delight to behold.
We are building an awesome squad. Next season could be special.

Totally agree. Johnson will eventually be a leader in this tean. It will take time but keep seeing a little more each time I see him. High hopes
Probably quiet initially being the new lad on the team, he’s growing with confidence and developing just the right amount of shithousery - shoving McGinn, Shushing the crowd post goal.

Love it!

Thing is it the numerals in the name there's a few of ya'll. So if I've maligned you unfairly I apologise.
1882 1882 mate it wasn't you it was the other one just checked. Him and Brian Fantana were very certain they'd kill us, because because...I don't know. Because they'd beat our D team...JUST.

:mourbye:
You mean there's TWO of us?
:mourweird::mourweird:

Heaven help you all!!

No idea tbh....... But we spent the majority of the half with them on the back foot; grinding away at their 8 man defensive unit which eventually paid dividends.
This.

It goes back to the expectations that I posted about the other day. Some seem to expect us to win the game in the first half, then put up a Cricket score in the second.

Emery tactically better? He handed us the midfield by going with a back 5, then gambled that his forwards would win the one on one battle with our CB's .

He skanked a win at WHL playing this way, not because his tactics were better, but because we were so profligate in front of goal, and we were missing much of our spine alongside Bentancur, who was essentially running the show, getting crocked by Cash.

To even suggest that tactically he was better than AP is actually laughable.

I think he set out his team reasonably well and said team shit themselves in individual moments and our better players didn’t + then showed great quality in moments that mattered.

Tactics are only a small part of the game. We had better footballers who made better choices and showed more quality when it mattered.

All of this is a very dramatic overreaction to me essentially saying I don’t think the loss was Emery’s fault. Which doesn’t translate to ‘spurs didn’t play well’ at all. We did.
That's where the disagreement comes from though.

His initial tactics handed us all of the momentum right from the off. They allowed us the opportunity to apply pressure and keep it up for the entire match.

Emery tactics: Give them all the impetus and hope for some individual brilliance to nick the game.

Postecoglou tactic: Pressure, pressure, pressure and more pressure.

Constant pressure leads to tired bodies, tired minds and, eventually, mistakes.

One set of tactics is based on the 'hope' of something special happening, the other is based on the 'expectation' of something happening because you forced it.

That's not chest thumping, it's a simple fact.

We had the 'hope' approach under Conte and labelled it coward Football. Suddenly it's tactical astuteness and it's the players' fault that it failed?

Have a word Bruv.

Still pinching myself, we took Villa apart, chewed and spat them out, destroyed them and caused them to lose heads and maybe even crumble further on without McGinn and crash out of that top 4 race, who knows.
What a classic Ange Spurs performance, may go down as a blueprint.

Still pinching myself, we took Villa apart, chewed and spat them out, destroyed them and caused them to lose heads and maybe even crumble further on without McGinn and crash out of that top 4 race, who knows.
What a classic Ange Spurs performance, may go down as a blueprint.
Ange's version of Rope-a-dope

I caught it last night, skipping to our game… they tried very hard to make the first half look, “all Villa”, I felt… but I’ll watch the full game later from record, as I missed it as I was travelling…
To be fair, Villa had 10 shots in the game, most of them in the first half. Whilst we dominated possession and pressurised them almost constantly, MOTD aren't going to show us passing the ball around as a 'highlight.'

I actually thought that their footage was pretty fair, from a highlight perspective. It can often give a false narrative of a game, but I don't think it did in this case. Whilst Villa might have looked somewhat threatening from the highlights, it's worth remembering that 2 of the key highlighted attacks were offside anyway.

That's where the disagreement comes from though.

His initial tactics handed us all of the momentum right from the off. They allowed us the opportunity to apply pressure and keep it up for the entire match.

Emery tactics: Give them all the impetus and hope for some individual brilliance to nick the game.

Postecoglou tactic: Pressure, pressure, pressure and more pressure.

Constant pressure leads to tired bodies, tired minds and, eventually, mistakes.

One set of tactics is based on the 'hope' of something special happening, the other is based on the 'expectation' of something happening because you forced it.

That's not chest thumping, it's a simple fact.

We had the 'hope' approach under Conte and labelled it coward Football. Suddenly it's tactical astuteness and it's the players' fault that it failed?

Have a word Bruv.

Yeah agree, calling it a tactical masterclass is hilarious.

To be fair, Villa had 10 shots in the game, most of them in the first half. Whilst we dominated possession and pressurised them almost constantly, MOTD aren't going to show us passing the ball around as a 'highlight.'

I actually thought that their footage was pretty fair, from a highlight perspective. It can often give a false narrative of a game, but I don't think it did in this case. Whilst Villa might have looked somewhat threatening from the highlights, it's worth remembering that 2 of the key highlighted attacks were offside anyway.

Yep... The HLs didn't reflect the story of the game... But the analysis afterwards told the true story despite that.

I thought MOTD were fair last night.

I agree. It seems at times though theres police on here who love attacking people who have different opinion. Esp on how we played first half yesterday. Some people come on here to have a moan as it could be there only outlet to talk about spurs. So what if they do. Its an opinion. Not gospel. Obviously personal abuse of players and other posters is too far or continuance of moaning for no reason is bullshit but its a forum.
Should we be like the dippers and be like a fucking cult where everyone is of same opinion
Don't agree mate. No one has been attacked for a different opinion, their reasoning has been argued.

As you say, this is a forum for sharing opinion, but it's also a place where said opinions can be questioned and argued with.

When a high quantity of posters disagree with that opinion, it's not bullying to argue against it. Why the fuck this keeps getting raised I don't know.

If you want to offer an opinion that goes against the grain, be prepared to have it questioned by multiple people.

You're entitled to an opinion, you're NOT entitled to an unchallenged one.

Back
Top Bottom