Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure about that. The first goal was the killer, when a very cautious setup goes behind you see initial confusion - do we stick with this plan or change?

They tried to change after going behind. Then they got caught again due to individuals not being up to it, and we punished them ruthlessly.

From there it’s game, set & match.

We’re the better team, personnel wise. Think this game really clearly showed that. Emery imo is a better tactician than Ange but we were just much sharper in the areas of the pitch that matter.
We were better than them across the park. We were sloppy with our passing and they had a few counters in the first half but we controlled the tempo and the game.

Emery imo wasn't the better tactician as he switched to a back 3 for no real reason other than fear. and it cost his team because they lost faith in it as soon as they realised it wasn't working.

Villa looked a bit pathetic in that second half

Not a single word written was shitting on our performance at all.

The first half was good in terms of restricting them/game control but we had no opportunities.

Second half we bossed and then took them apart after 1-0.
Re read your post from a Spurs fan perspective on the day we spanked the team above us 4-0 away from home.
And watch the game again.
Anyone would think some fans don’t want us to thrash teams away from home and crow about it.

It wasn't from a purely defensive and press/control perspective but that doesn't win games. our xG was 0.02 wasn't it?

No idea tbh....... But we spent the majority of the half with them on the back foot; grinding away at their 8 man defensive unit which eventually paid dividends.

Not sure about that. The first goal was the killer, when a very cautious setup goes behind you see initial confusion - do we stick with this plan or change?

They tried to change after going behind. Then they got caught again due to individuals not being up to it, and we punished them ruthlessly.

From there it’s game, set & match.

We’re the better team, personnel wise. Think this game really clearly showed that. Emery imo is a better tactician than Ange but we were just much sharper in the areas of the pitch that matter.

I think Villa were definitely poor today and it did take us a while to get going. But once we got that first goal we never looked back. Had the game continued on we would have picked them off at will.

I think sometimes we all need to remember that football is very much a game of two halves. We weren't great in the first half and it wasn't a good watch. But sometimes some tactical tweaking at the break is all it needs, along with players getting tired as the game goes on. Four goals scored. None conceded. While some individual performances could be better there's not much at all to be dissapointed or critical about today mate.

Re read your post from a Spurs fan perspective on the day we spanked the team above us 4-0 away from home.
And watch the game again.
Anyone would think some fans don’t want us to thrash teams away from home and crow about it.
We

I don’t do the whole chest thumping thing online. People are free to do it if they want. I think BC got stick for this too .. how dare you not just say we were amazing and shut up. Not how I look at the game, you’re of course free to do differently.

We won 4-0 .. feel free to crow.

I don’t do the whole chest thumping thing online. People are free to do it if they want. I think BC got stick for this too .. how dare you not just say we were amazing and shut up. Not how I look at the game, you’re of course free to do differently.

We won 4-0 .. feel free to crow.
That’s what fans do. Most of us don’t have ice in our veins when it comes to our team. Your “critique” sounds grudging and slightly bitter.
I’d expect that from a Villa fan commenting on the game.

I can, I remember when Emery was at Woolwich. He would have the same cowardly approach giving the opposition too much respect even if they were weaker.

He's done well at Villa but the scum sacked him for a reason.

This was not the same Emre/Villa that gave City & Arse a wretched time and beat them back to back in the process.

They had very interesting attacking situations until 1-0. Again, when you go behind in a game like this you either recover quick or you melt. They melted.

There’s probably a reason he didn’t have faith. Emery has forgotten more about football than either of us know, let alone what he knows about his players. Lenglet/Torres if they pressed and pushed up would’ve been killed.

I think Emery knew we have better players, knew his team weren’t 100% after the EL and hoped to keep it very tight, not make errors and for Watkins to have a good game. The opposite happened.

I mean they didn't really did they - can't remember many situations apart from Watkins being tackled by VDV and a couple of other half chances, don't even remember Vicario making a save before their goal - can't call that a masterclass if they didn't actually threaten us.

This is the equivalent to "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" that's not a good tactical plan, that game plan is purely based on luck especially if A) you haven't been playing it all season and B) You don't have the players to pull it off.

One of the things we did great today is cut off the supply to Watkins. He's an absolute pest and is having a great season, but he's not a striker that's going to score out of nothing, from an individual piece of brilliance. He needs good service to function and we gave him next to nothing all game. Take away the threat of Watkins and you go a long way in nullifying Villa.

This was not the same Emre/Villa that gave City & Arse a wretched time and beat them back to back in the process.
I thought they were pretty fortunate against Woolwich, got a goal (that was well worked tbf) but didn't do anything after that and let Woolwich dominate them who couldn't take their chances.

Against City Pep played some weird formation with like 5 Cb's and putting some in midfield. But they were the better team against City regardless.

Villa peaked at that point, they haven't been as good since.

That’s what fans do. Most of us don’t have ice in our veins when it comes to our team. Your “critique” sounds grudging and slightly bitter.
I’d expect that from a Villa fan commenting on the game.

Club football doesn’t get me emotional the way it does for other people. I’ve been honest about that plenty of times.

There’s nothing bitter about disagreeing that Emery was the reason they lost or saying we won due to better individuals.

Lost 4-0.

'Tactical masterclass'

You could try reading and see that it referred specifically to a first half where we had 0.02 xG, but I suppose you knew that already but wanted to get a silly comment in.

Second half was an attacking master-class for us in terms of being ruthless .. but I guess I can’t say that as we were 0-0 for the first half.

I thought they were pretty fortunate against Woolwich, got a goal (that was well worked tbf) but didn't do anything after that and let Woolwich dominate them who couldn't take their chances.

Against City Pep played some weird formation with like 5 Cb's and putting some in midfield. But they were the better team against City regardless.

Villa peaked at that point, they haven't been as good since.

Yeh.... You might be right as far as their peak is concerned.....

Before the match I pointed out that the were leaking goals regularly....

Since xmas: 3 (Man U), 2 (Burnley) , 0, 3 (Newcastle), 0, 2 (Man U) , 1, 2 (Forest), 2 (Luton), 4.....

.......That's poor!

You could try reading and see that it referred specifically to a first half where we had 0.02 xG, but I suppose you knew that already but wanted to get a silly comment in.

Second half was an attacking master-class for us in terms of being ruthless .. but I guess I can’t say that as we were 0-0 for the first half.
If I'm not mistaken you said the Villa manager is better tactically than Ange.

Yet Ange's tactics won us the game 4-0.

Club football doesn’t get me emotional the way it does for other people. I’ve been honest about that plenty of times.

There’s nothing bitter about disagreeing that Emery was the reason they lost or saying we won due to better individuals.
Cool story bro.
Maybe you’re on the wrong forum if club football doesn’t get the juices flowing when Spurs humiliate their nearest league rival.
Each to their own. A 4-0 win away at Villa Park has set me up for a lovely week.
You keep reminiscing about how great everyone else is and how we somehow got lucky because Villa had an off day and/or Emery brain farted himself into defeat.

Back
Top Bottom