Michael Dawson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This kind of tosh is why I told you that you don't understand the game.
Dawson is NOT a big liability.
Gardner was a big liability, so was Davenport, but Dawson isn't
Learn the game - you do yourself no favours talking twaddle and joining bandwagons being put together by the ignorant.
I admit he isn't the best central defender at the club, but he's a good solid central defender who is definitely premier league quality - and he has pocketed Suarez in the past

Dipshite. I said the same thing. Solid CB for the club and a great leader. But he can also be a liability at times like he was vs City. Try reading the entire post vs the piece you can isolate and attack like a cunt.

Dipshite. I said the same thing. Solid CB for the club and a great leader. But he can also be a liability at times like he was vs City. Try reading the entire post vs the piece you can isolate and attack like a cunt.
I did - why are you being abusive? You are the one making the daft statements.
A liability vs City - really? Are you telling me that in every case he could be reasonably assumed to have covered the ground (and put in the tackle) to prevent all the goals being scored, rather than him making the assumption that he wouldn't be left exposed by the paucity of the cover he was afforded by his teammates?
Which is the crux of my comments about your "analysis" - which is woefully wrong.
When you don't understand something its better to keep quiet and go away and learn, than to slag everyone who tells you that its you who doesn't get it.
But I guess that's the issue here, you don't know its you.

I did - why are you being abusive? You are the one making the daft statements.
A liability vs City - really? Are you telling me that in every case he could be reasonably assumed to have covered the ground (and put in the tackle) to prevent all the goals being scored, rather than him making the assumption that he wouldn't be left exposed by the paucity of the cover he was afforded by his teammates?
Which is the crux of my comments about your "analysis" - which is woefully wrong.
When you don't understand something its better to keep quiet and go away and learn, than to slag everyone who tells you that its you who doesn't get it.
But I guess that's the issue here, you don't know its you.

Your life must be rather sad. I pity you

Your life must be rather sad. I pity you
No need - as per usual, you couldn't be further from the truth if you tried hard.
I suppose I could turn into a complete saddo and start posting utter crap about sports I have no knowledge of. Maybe I could hit the American football/basketball/ice hockey message boards and randomly talk tosh about the players and erroneously denounce them for low skill sets or poor plays.
How much of a saddo would that make me?

or Aussie rules.......jai alai..........lacrosse!
Thats the sport for me

No need - as per usual, you couldn't be further from the truth if you tried hard.
I suppose I could turn into a complete saddo and start posting utter crap about sports I have no knowledge of. Maybe I could hit the American football/basketball/ice hockey message boards and randomly talk tosh about the players and erroneously denounce them for low skill sets or poor plays.
How much of a saddo would that make me?

or Aussie rules.......jai alai..........lacrosse!
Thats the sport for me

When did I denounce Dawson over his low skill set ? I just said he has a few limitations in his game which are fair
Stop being so so sensitive over your fellow countrymen. I bet if Dawson was American , we wouldn't even be having this tussle Buuuuurn

When did I denounce Dawson over his low skill set ? I just said he has a few limitations in his game which are fair
Stop being so so sensitive over your fellow countrymen. I bet if Dawson was American , we wouldn't even be having this tussle Buuuuurn
If thats what you had said - I would agree with you, he is slow - but so are most central defenders.
He is an excellent defensive header of the ball - yet strangely he seems to be quite poor as an offensive header of the ball.
For a right footed player he seems to get turned more on his stronger side
Him being English has nothing to do with my dismay at yours, and other posters, criticism of him. Its the pop culture critique, of condemnation of a player for the last thing you remember - as if you had no memory for all of the good that a player does.
Also the TV focused, x-factor style assassination of a player, because people don't look at the wider aspect of a game - look around at what is happening off the ball. In training players are criticised for ball watching - don't do it as a fan or observer of the game.
I love to support Spurs, and will gladly speak highly of a players contribution - long before I will talk about their mistakes. Too many on line experts seek to justify their wisdom by highlighting a players goofs, because they are easy to spot. How many armchair experts praise, highlight, or produce gifs for the unsung or unnoticed little gems that players perform?
Its far too easy to go in with the on line equivalent of a two footed, studs up condemnation, than it is to trawl the highlights for what you see happening off the ball.
You have to know what to look for though, if you have played or watched the game for long enough, they become easier to spot.

Good points Mick. Like you, I get dismayed at the continued attacks on Dawson. If he was as poor as many Spurs 'fans' say (and the abuse he gets on one other particular forum is disgraceful to put it mildly) there is no way he could play at such a high level for so long.

If we look at our last game, clearly Daws did well, most agree. Look at the game before though. He got a lot of stick for one major error, fair enough it led to a goal. But he didn't kick the ball in his own net, or hack someone stupidly down to give away a needless pen. He lost the ball in an advanced position, but lots of other things had to happen for Fulham to score. There were many other glaring errors that night and against Sunderland, Paulinho's incredible misses, Defoe's failures to score, Hugo's balls up, etc, etc.

Daws made one bad error in two away games, it's nothing amazing but people just continually have a go at him.

Lamela, Soldado, Defoe, amongst others have been worse for us this season overall, but time and again it's Daws who's hung out to dry.

Jan will miss Sunday, once more we can be grateful Daws has been there for us all season. Would we have won at Sunderland with Capoue and an Academy player at CB, I doubt it, or Capoue and any other fit player someone cares to name.

Far from being a liability, Daws is a major asset to us, and has been invaluable this season, which so far, overall, has been a good one, and may soon turn into a very good one so far, if we beat Pool and Wham..

If thats what you had said - I would agree with you, he is slow - but so are most central defenders.
He is an excellent defensive header of the ball - yet strangely he seems to be quite poor as an offensive header of the ball.
For a right footed player he seems to get turned more on his stronger side
Him being English has nothing to do with my dismay at yours, and other posters, criticism of him. Its the pop culture critique, of condemnation of a player for the last thing you remember - as if you had no memory for all of the good that a player does.
Also the TV focused, x-factor style assassination of a player, because people don't look at the wider aspect of a game - look around at what is happening off the ball. In training players are criticised for ball watching - don't do it as a fan or observer of the game.
I love to support Spurs, and will gladly speak highly of a players contribution - long before I will talk about their mistakes. Too many on line experts seek to justify their wisdom by highlighting a players goofs, because they are easy to spot. How many armchair experts praise, highlight, or produce gifs for the unsung or unnoticed little gems that players perform?
Its far too easy to go in with the on line equivalent of a two footed, studs up condemnation, than it is to trawl the highlights for what you see happening off the ball.
You have to know what to look for though, if you have played or watched the game for long enough, they become easier to spot.
Now making blanket statements against an entire generation ? Lmao. Of course , I'm sure you love your iPhone.

Either way , you basically agree with me. You're just taking issue with how I convey it.

Dawson is a damn solid CB and a fine leader. But he can be a liability at times vs a certain level of quality. I'll stand by that forever and that doesn't equate to me not appreciating Dawson. Far from it. Just being honest

Now get off my dik. This is getting old

Now making blanket statements against an entire generation ? Lmao. Of course , I'm sure you love your iPhone.

Either way , you basically agree with me. You're just taking issue with how I convey it.

Dawson is a damn solid CB and a fine leader. But he can be a liability at times vs a certain level of quality. I'll stand by that forever and that doesn't equate to me not appreciating Dawson. Far from it. Just being honest

If you keep putting stupid comments up, then you are giving sanction for people to shoot them down.
If you can't hack it, stack it.

Against Sunderland, one thing we got right as a team was defending high balls. Dawson played his part. I feel at the moment the team is full of individuals trying hard to get it together. Dawson can not hold his own when isolated, he needs to be part of a team, a back 4. Once this happens and we jell as a team, he will improve i'm sure.

Never doubted his ability to defend high balls. From the front, that is.

When wingers get around the fullbacks and cross into tand around the 9 yard area, his positioning is very suspect.

Dawson needs time to gel? Hell, he's the longest serving player and club captain. If he cannot make people gel, but needs others to do so for him, then we are in big trouble :avbnaa:

I don't have one, got better things to waste my money on, like beer.
Stick to the script, its a thread about Dawson, not an apple advert
Well you were just hating on an entire generation a bit earlier and was simply wondering if you detest all of it.

Dawson is a liability at times. Fact. But he is also very solid CB who shows up more times then not. His leadership is a plus as well and I appreciate having MD at my football club. So what exactly are you disputing with the above ? Outside of course of my generation n the country I call home

Last edited:
Well you were just hating on an entire generation a bit earlier and was simply wondering if you detest all of it.

Dawson is a liability at times. Fact. But he is also very solid CB who shows up more times then not. His leadership is a plus as well and I appreciate having MD at my football club. So what exactly are you disputing with the above ? Outside of course of my generation n the country I call home
You said he was a liability - period, so don't backtrack. He isn't even a liability occasionally, unless you consider every missed tackle a liability in the making.
My only dispute with you is the apparent shallow pool of knowledge that you draw from.
Hating a generation - what are you, 9 years old? Grow up FFS, I was talking about the mentality of some posters, people who say stupid, ill informed things about players.
At what point have I questioned or demeaned the US? Besides my inability to understand why we pissed good money away on Dempsey, I have nothing but good to say about any of the American players we have had at Spurs. Love the country, its got its fair share of bell ends, but so has every country.
Your football club? Which bit do you own then? How many times have you been? Spurs are your club as much as the Eagles are my American football team, ie I know fuck all about the game and I have never set foot in the ground.

Mate. I love you from the internets. You know that. And I know that you know saka too.

But any defender can be made to look silly with forwards. If it didn't happen we wouldn't watch the bloody game. Dawson is a great defender. Probably the best we have.

Back
Top Bottom