Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Darren Lewis chatting on TS earlier.....

He thinks Johnson should get done....

He also says he heard a little rumbling that the plan was:

LW: Johnson
CF: Richy
RW: Son
Oh when the -sons go marching in, oh when the -sons go marching in...

Has a nice ring to it.

Since Aguero left, City's highest scorers prior to the arrival of Haaland were Gundogan with 13 in 20/21 and KDB with 15 in 21/22. Both midfielders. So I am not buying the "we need a 15-20 goal a season striker" argument.
Do you see any of Biss, Sarr, Udogie, Porro, Emerson, etc. coming anywhere near 13 goals? I don't.

I don't personally care where the goals come from but you can't just cite elite players like Gundogan and KDB to suggest we can replicate it.

Maybe we can arrange a loan deal with Bayern for Kane.

We get him on the weekends and during the week, he plays for Bayern in Europe.

Bayern don’t need him on the weekends anyway.
His two goals got them the three points lol

I guess you can be underwhelmed with Johnson, if we’d bought him last year after he was Championship Young Player of the Year, I think people would be ecstatic. And it’s not like he had a bad year at all in the Prem.

But ultimately it’s a move that can’t be fully contextualized without thinking about our deeply troubling homegrown numbers.

Our current league HG players are:
  1. Maddison
  2. Skipp
  3. Sessegnon
  4. Davies
  5. Tanganga
  6. Forster
  7. Spence
  8. Austin
  9. Whiteman
Honestly there’s a very decent chance that Maddison, Skipp, Davies, and a couple keepers are the only HG players that we have in the side after next summer.

Considering we’re also well over our allocation of foreign players without sales, we can’t exactly be bringing in two or three foreign signings. Homegrown has to be a priority for minimum one of our final signings this window. I can’t think of many players I’d rather realistically have than Johnson considering his age and profile.

With Scarlett, Devine, Phillips, and a couple academy kids hopefully coming through in the next couple years, Johnson should be the last HG player we have to overpay for. And even if we are overpaying a bit, I think he’s pretty legitimately worth £30-35m and he certainly has the talent and potential to exceed that valuation.

So really all things considered it’s not as bad as hysterics taking place in this thread.

Do you see any of Biss, Sarr, Udogie, Porro, Emerson, etc. coming anywhere near 13 goals? I don't.

I don't personally care where the goals come from but you can't just cite elite players like Gundogan and KDB to suggest we can replicate it.
Madders and Son can get double digits easily. Same for Richie. Porro and Udogie are definitely going to get 5 a piece. Bentancur, Sarr, Bissouma, Kulu all have another 6-8 goals each in them. These alone get us to 65-70 goals without even counting what the subs and defenders will contribute.

There’s a lot of this doing the rounds at the moment.

‘Oh, we don’t need an incredible striker. We just need two incredible midfielders instead’.
And there are a lot of people who have a blinkered view of football doing the rounds. You lose a striker, well gosh darn it, you have to get a striker. Completely ignoring the fact that the new manager plays a version of total football where he wants his players to move into space regardless of what their "position" on paper is.

But yeah, let's go get a striker. Should be easy to find one that's going to score 20 goals. As opposed to let's play a system where the striker isn't as important in terms of the team scoring goals and get the right players for that system.

Madders and Son can get double digits easily. Same for Richie. Porro and Udogie are definitely going to get 5 a piece. Bentancur, Sarr, Bissouma, Kulu all have another 6-8 goals each in them. These alone get us to 65-70 goals without even counting what the subs and defenders will contribute.
Having a player like Kane is a massive aberration, I looked through the last decade or so and most seasons there are maximum two or three twenty goal scorers in the league. Most teams spread their goals out much more evenly than we have in the Kane era.

The cupboard also isn’t exactly bare. We have one of three active prem golden boot winners in Son. Richarlison has three seasons of ten plus goals, Maddison has two. Kulusevski has goals in him and Perisic has scored goals everywhere he’s been. Porro, Udogie, and Sarr are going to get a handful. Hell, Bentancur scored 5 goals in a half season last year playing dross Conteball.

Obviously it’d be nice to still have Kane or a one for one replacement, but the style of play is what is going to make up the difference in goals not one individual player.

Username checks out.
Well we could've probably had Tosin early in the window before Monaco got involved, if we were the only team after him and actually firmed up our interest I can't see why we couldn't have got VDV as well after getting Tosin. Obviously if I had to pick one or the other I'm going VDV all day long but I can't see how picking up Tosin for £12-15m would've jeapordised a move for VDV, being willing to spend £50m on him is a statement of intent that would've allayed any fears he had of playing a bit-part role for us, and we were completely uncontested on his signature. Picking to try and nickel and dime Fulham in the later stages of the window is looking like blowing up in our face as we're gonna miss out to Monaco.

Let's do an Airfixx and actually check what Man City scored before Haaland got there.

KDB: 15
Sterling: 13
Mahrez: 11
Foden: 9
Gundo: 8
Jesus: 8
Silva: 8
Rodri: 7
Laporte: 4

Total: 83 goals

That's leaving out 7 other scorers who scored 13 between them.

Let's try an picture us replicating that for us:
Son: 15
Maddison: 15 (has never scored more than 12)
Richarlison: 13 (his highest tally in the PL (including pens)
Porro: 5 (highest league tally in Portugal was 4)
Udogie: 5 (highest in Italy was 5 as a WB)
Bentancur: 5 (scored 2 in his entire Juve career)
Bisosuma: 5. (scored 3 goals in 4 seasons at Brighton)

You're looking at 63 goals, which would be one of our lowest scoring seasons since Poch took over. That's with most of the named players matching or beating their best ever goal scoring season, with Bissouma scoring more than his last 5 seasons combined.

Do you see how unrealistic that is?

It's not as simple as "just distribute the goals around". "Yeah, Udogie will get 5 goals, no worries".

Haha!
Seth Meyers I Give Up GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Angry Leave Me Alone GIF by GritTV

we should of went for vlahovic when juve were keen to sell, now they know we need a forward and will charge alot

i dont think johnson is enough we need more up there at least someone who can finish up front
I actually don´t give a rats ass if we get Johnson or not!

What we need is another CB, period!! We are one injury away from a potential disaster!

Let's do an Airfixx and actually check what Man City scored before Haaland got there.

KDB: 15
Sterling: 13
Mahrez: 11
Foden: 9
Gundo: 8
Jesus: 8
Silva: 8
Rodri: 7
Laporte: 4

Total: 83 goals

That's leaving out 7 other scorers who scored 13 between them.

Let's try an picture us replicating that for us:
Son: 15
Maddison: 15 (has never scored more than 12)
Richarlison: 13 (his highest tally in the PL (including pens)
Porro: 5 (highest league tally in Portugal was 4)
Udogie: 5 (highest in Italy was 5 as a WB)
Bentancur: 5 (scored 2 in his entire Juve career)
Bisosuma: 5. (scored 3 goals in 4 seasons at Brighton)

You're looking at 63 goals, which would be one of our lowest scoring seasons since Poch took over. That's with most of the named players matching or beating their best ever goal scoring season, with Bissouma scoring more than his last 5 seasons combined.

Do you see how unrealistic that is?

It's not as simple as "just distribute the goals around". "Yeah, Udogie will get 5 goals, no worries".

We are averaging 2 gpg in a system which isn't anywhere close to clicking at the moment, we are perfectly capable of keeping up the current scoring rate.

We are averaging 2 gpg in a system which isn't anywhere close to clicking at the moment, we are perfectly capable of keeping up the current scoring rate.
How did you come to that conclusion? Would be 76 goals, most season we never came close to that, even with Kane. The 16/17 season was the only time we matched or beat that tally.

Back
Top Bottom