Brentford fc vs TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR/ Sun 13th 14:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is only game 1. He lost 3 of his first 6 at Celtic while the players adapted. 10-15 games in and you'll see his team. This spurs team haven't settled yet - that was obvious yesterday - but when they do, you're in for a treat.
but at Celtic he had the most of best players in that league, a league were its either of 2 teams that win it

Clinton Morrison slates Sanchez​

Following Brentford scoring their second goal of the game, which gave them the lead at the time, Morrison brought up the defensive performance of Sanchez and he wasn’t best pleased.

The BBC pundit said: “Same old problems for Tottenham defensively. Sanchez not good enough.” Luckily, Spurs did equalise and in the end the score remained 2-2.

I thought Sanchez did alright.
Defensively the biggest problem was actually Emerson, he just didn't have the pace to keep up with Rico Henry starting from a deeper position, it cost us one goal and could've easily cost us two. I think Sarr instead of Skipp would've been really helpful, since he would've probably had the pace to close Rico down.

Clinton Morrison slates Sanchez​

Following Brentford scoring their second goal of the game, which gave them the lead at the time, Morrison brought up the defensive performance of Sanchez and he wasn’t best pleased.

The BBC pundit said: “Same old problems for Tottenham defensively. Sanchez not good enough.” Luckily, Spurs did equalise and in the end the score remained 2-2.

I thought Sanchez did alright.
was Sanchez at fault ? 2 ways to look at it,
he positioned himself to cut out ball played into the 6 yd box (hopeing/expecting midfielder to pick player around penatly spot)
OR should he have stayed with "his" player
I think the biggest probelm we have is Most of our players are not looking round to see where the danger is coming from

Was more encouraged yesterday than the 4 years previous. New young team that I will be patient with. Clear identity and patterns of play. Thought midfield was excellent biss and madders level above. Think front 3 needs tweaking. Personally I'd go Son through the middle but I think we need to add 1 more forward player.

There is a very simple solution to this argument. FIFA has a coefficient for each confederation based on head to head results and success in the World Cup. Historically, CONMEBOL has a higher coefficient than UEFA. It is always very close. This notion that CONMEBOL football is “shit” and UEFA is far superior is utter bullshit, and it is proven statistically.
Mate, honestly that is not my point at all. Go back and read what I wrote.

My point is European teams play more competitive games per year along the other crap they play against (San Marino’s of this world).

Last year (prior to WC as won’t count that) England played Italy, France, Germany, Ivory Coast, Switzerland in competitive games. In 21, they also played against Denmark, Italy, Germany, Croatia and Poland (if you consider them competitive, I don’t).

On the other hand, Brazil has played against in 2022 (not including WC games): Japan and Argentina.

In 2021: Quite literally steamrolled most South American teams and the only competitive game was a Copa America final loss to Argentina

Now how am I judging these teams as competitive? They either made it past the group stages at WC or in Denmark’s case, made an exemption as they were Euro semi finalists.

The point I am making is Richarlison constantly plays against crap opposition for Brazil. Yes, I know England play against lower quality crap but equally, they play many competitive fixtures, as shown above. Other than Argentina, Brazil only play against crap. None of the other countries they play against got out of the WC groups.

I hope you have understood my point now because I am sorry, you didn’t. UEFA coefficient doesn’t mean anything in the context of what I am saying.

My point is European teams play more competitive games per year along the other crap they play against (San Marino’s of this world).

Last year (prior to WC as won’t count that) England played Italy, France, Germany, Ivory Coast, Switzerland in competitive games. In 21, they also played against Denmark, Italy, Germany, Croatia and Poland (if you consider them competitive, I don’t).

On the other hand, Brazil has played against in 2022 (not including WC games): Japan and Argentina.

In 2021: Quite literally steamrolled most South American teams and the only competitive game was a Copa America final loss to Argentina

Now how am I judging these teams as competitive? They either made it past the group stages at WC or in Denmark’s case, made an exemption as they were Euro semi finalists.

The point I am making is Richarlison constantly plays against crap opposition for Brazil. Yes, I know England play against lower quality crap but equally, they play many competitive fixtures, as shown above. Other than Argentina, Brazil only play against crap. None of the other countries they play against got out of the WC groups.

I hope you have understood my point now because I am sorry, you didn’t. UEFA coefficient doesn’t mean anything in the context of what I am saying.

To be fair, they also play Colombia.

Who have defenders the calibre of…ah, no…never mind.

Much as I enjoyed the game with lots of positives I do fear if we persist with son and kulu as wingers we are going to struggle to break teams down - can’t remember either putting in a worthwhile cross - and in flooding the opposing penalty area is wingers putting balls into the area the whole point ?

This is the thing Brentford let us have the ball knowing we did t have the pace down the wi gs to get crosses in. Any crosses that came in they generally dealt with. We needed to change something but Ange didn’t. Think Brentford were happy to play on the counter in the 2nd half. Ange did like for like changes, left it a bit late and left kulu on when may be gio might have given us some extra passing quality. We basically relied on Biss and madd to provide any creativity. Skipp offered nothing and really does look lost in that 8 role. Ever really gets on the ball and just makes a simple short pass to player next him. He is not gonna beat a man and he ain’t got the passing range.
Good start but Ange needs to be more flexible and not more braver as we didn’t really create too many good chances in 2nd half.

In short results matter and I think if you corner Ange, he was happy to get out of Brentford with a draw. Can’t blame him. This is his way of being conservative

Only France and Croatia are any good in the list of English opponents. The other opponents are mediocre at best.

Defensively the biggest problem was actually Emerson, he just didn't have the pace to keep up with Rico Henry starting from a deeper position, it cost us one goal and could've easily cost us two. I think Sarr instead of Skipp would've been really helpful, since he would've probably had the pace to close Rico down.
Agree, Royal was the problem there. I think Bissouma still could have prevented the goal but was caught asleep at the switch

Back
Top Bottom