Brentford fc vs TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR/ Sun 13th 14:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Changes for Utd game I'd like to see - Sarr in for Skipp, Porro in for Kulusevski. Leave the others for a minute but keep Son on a short leash and let him know, more of the same and he is benched.

I'd like to see Porro on the right of our attack because he can hold the width, has good delivery and is a good, technical player. I think Richy has more of a chance with a player like Porro out wide.
I think making Son captain has put a marker down saying unless he has a run of absolute shockers, then he'll be starting. I wouldn'tmind rotation between him and Ivan myself. Every time Perisic gets 2 yards of space he'll hit a decent area with his cross. The man just oozes class. I love Sonny as much as the next man, but feel he is one of our squad who is more suited to the counter attack style we employed under Jose and Conte.

No, he still has his finishing, but we were basically playing with 10 players on the pitch outside of the final third, that's just an untenable situation.

So it's a miracle he got that much then?

Strange argument.

Strange argument.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying at all. A player who doesn't contribute outside of G/A needs a hell of a lot more than 10/6 to not be poor. Imagine if a striker had those numbers.

Strange argument.

He’s just not looking the same player. Whether he does turn that around or not, he’s not looked right for a long time. His numbers were decent but it’s caveated by him having a couple of wonder games rather than having any consistency. He went very large periods of time of doing nothing.

Our attacking options right now look weak unless Son gets back to his old self. The rest won’t score enough goals.

Deep down Ange won't be too happy with the performance. The ball wasn't getting moved quickly enough, there wasn't much done from wide areas and there was too many long balls which he doesn't like at all. There will be a massive improvement to come over the next couple of months once players get to grips with the demands

All in all it was a game that Spurs should have won. I thought the penalty was incredibly harsh and the second was pure bad luck
All correct.

You can stay.

For someone who made zero contribution outside of attack 10/6 G/A is poor.

No-one said it's a GOOD year. He had a bad year, that's already acknowledged, but for some wide-men that's a GOOD year FFS!

Also last year (EPL):

Anthony: 4/2
Sancho: 9/6
Martial: 6/2
Mitoma: 7/6
Mudryk: 0/0
Olise: 2/11
.............I could go on.

Sonny's "shit" season crapped over the lot of them.... And more.

Denying Sonny his product in order to double down on a narrative is bogus.

You honestly think Ange would have given him the armband if he didn't even think he could do a job for us?????

Doesn't he have enough credit in the bank to be afforded less than 180mins in pre season to bed into the new system?

Last edited:
No-one said it's a GOOD year. He had a bad year, that's already acknowledged, but for some wide-men that's a GOOD year FFS!

Also last year:

You honestly think Ange would have given him the armband if he didn't even think he could do a job for us?????

Doesn't he have enough credit in the bank to be afforded less than 180mins in pre season to bed into the new system?
Most of those players had a bad years as well, the ones who didn't contributed a lot more than Son in other areas.
I think Ange does seem to think he can do the job as a winger, but I haven't seen any actual indication of that being the case. As we've seen last season, some players start due to political reasons, regardless of how they actually perform, I hope that won't be the case again.

Also last year (EPL):

You’re stretching things a bit to include 3 shit United wide players & Mudryk who arrived in Jan and has had a horrible time of it.

Mitoma & Olise valid examples but the former is rated because he’s easy on the eye more than for end product and the latter is very much considered more of a prospect and productivity limited by playing for Palace who were dogshit 2/3 of the season.

Son is a VERY end product focused player. His ball carrying is bad, he turns over the ball a lot, he’s not great at beating his marker, he doesn’t hold the ball up. What he does is score lots and he’s good at cut-backs & crossing.

With that context & the fact 6 of his 10 goals came in 2 games and his assists are aided by being a set piece taker, the numbers just aren’t nearly good enough.

Most of those players had a bad years as well, the ones who didn't contributed a lot more than Son in other areas.

The simple fact is that outside of Salah, Son (usually) and the like, 10/6 is totally respectable output for a winger. It speaks volumes that we consider that a shit season for Sonny.

More from last season:

Mahrez: 5/10
Bowen: 6/6

The simple fact is that outside of Salah, Son (usually) and the like, 10/6 is totally respectable output for a winger. It speaks volumes that we consider that a shit season for Sonny.

More from last season:

Mahrez: 5/10
Bowen: 6/6

Bowen had a dreadful season in a dreadful team and Mahrez played 1000 less minutes than Son.

You’re stretching things a bit to include 3 shit United wide players & Mudryk who arrived in Jan and has had a horrible time of it.
Son is a VERY end product focused player.

I'm really not stretching anything..... The premise here is simple.

Son had a crap season by his standards (acknowledged several times over).......... And yet his product was still above average.

Of course, I could compare him to Rashford; (who had a banner year on the wing) but that would be futile given the pre-state acknowledgement that Son did indeed have a shit year by his standards. The above point about Anthony & co. is that while having a poor season he still out-produced a whole bunch of heralded and/or expensive wingers.

My interjection only came about because the other chap denied Son the due credit of his product and called it stat-wankery (paraphrase).

(Lets be honest.... if we weren't so defensively awful and devoid of any kind of meaningful midfield, some of those G&As would have helped us secure EL or at least ECL footy.)

Either I don’t know what I am talking about or you are misinformed and not up to date.

The truth is teams used to struggle a lot in Bolivia, yes. Times have changed, and so has human performance and physical conditioning. Players literally use some form of oxygen mask before games and during half time when playing in altitude in La Paz and guess what the result is?? Teams struggling less and less against Bolivia.

Case in point, Brazil beat them 4-0 in Bolivia.

However, I obviously have no idea what I am talking about as you are alluding to. Now, if you take away Bolivia’s advantage, name me one notable player that you can think of that plays for them?

Case in point, the level of opposition bar Argentina in the South American qualifiers are crap. Even the Brazilian commentators say so.

Is it a coincidence that Brazil hasn’t beaten a European team in the WC in the knockout phases since 2002?

There is a very simple solution to this argument. FIFA has a coefficient for each confederation based on head to head results and success in the World Cup. Historically, CONMEBOL has a higher coefficient than UEFA. It is always very close. This notion that CONMEBOL football is “shit” and UEFA is far superior is utter bullshit, and it is proven statistically.

Deuterz Deuterz
GGTH GGTH
prinmemo

I'm not posting this cos I buy into it (I was actually trying to find a top scoring widemen 22/23 list); but it's topically fun:

EDIT:

They don't seem to list Sonny as a winger (doh!), but 10/6 leaves him top 8:

Back
Top Bottom