Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure Tom Holland’s getting invited back soon đŸ˜‚

Especially towards the end I was reeeeeeally looking for signs of it being a deepfake.

Nope. Just Tom basically saying the kind of stuff we'd say on here.

Just maybe not on camera, eh?

sad-peter-parker.gif

Especially towards the end I was reeeeeeally looking for signs of it being a deepfake.

Nope. Just Tom basically saying the kind of stuff we'd say on here.

Just maybe not on camera, eh?

sad-peter-parker.gif

Just sums up the typical self depreciating weak minded Spurs fan who plays into the Spursy woe is us/world caving in narrative on social media.

I don't have any time for this sort of fans, absolutely 0 self respect

To be fair, we're not very good and our owners have given up on competing with those at the top.

I don't want Kane to leave but if he's really about winning trophies, then he's not going to achieve that at Spurs.

More chance of winning something with England than us!

Just sums up the typical self depreciating weak minded Spurs fan who plays into the Spursy woe is us/world caving in narrative on social media.

I don't have any time for this sort of fans, absolutely 0 self respect

You want every Spurs fan to be completely detached from the reality of the recent history of being a Spurs fan.

You may not like it, but it's better for some people to own the piss-take, takes the sting out of it when other people use it on them.

Reality is always both and also somewhere in the middle.

You want every Spurs fan to be completely detached from the reality of the recent history of being a Spurs fan.

You may not like it, but it's better for some people to own the piss-take, takes the sting out of it when other people use it on them.

No, I just don't want every Spurs fan to wear the Spursy medallion round their necks as if it's a badge of honour, as if it only comes with the territory of being a Spurs fan, especially these new age fans who only take the last 20 years in isolation and just solely look at our trophy record and judge our entire existence as a club as that.

But this is the age of social media I guess, we are in this big 6 purely by the virtue of our own good performances to put us there in the first place but in terms of recent success we are lacking behind our rivals so we are an easy target therefore people judge us as as a big 6 team and judged against our rivals standards. Makes it very easy for us to be mocked and our own fans buy into this narrative that our club exist for that purpose.

It's as if people are scared to talk with any positivity about the club that they will get roundly mocked for being delusional not only by rival fans but their own, mental.

And don't think this is a recent thing, even when we were playing well under Poch our fans were still doing this, the expectation to fuck things up, the club absolutely need to do their bit to curtail this but we as fans need to stop manifesting this mentality at every given opportunity.

No, I just don't want every Spurs fan to wear the Spursy medallion round their necks as if it's a badge of honour, as if it only comes with the territory of being a Spurs fan, especially these new age fans who only take the last 20 years in isolation and just solely look at our trophy record and judge our entire existence as a club as that.

But this is the age of social media I guess, we are in this big 6 purely by the virtue of our own good performances to put us there in the first place but in terms of recent success we are lacking behind our rivals so we are an easy target therefore people judge us as as a big 6 team and judged against our rivals standards. Makes it very easy for us to be mocked and our own fans buy into this narrative that our club exist for that purpose.

It's as if people are scared to talk with any positivity about the club that they will get roundly mocked for being delusional not only by rival fans but their own, mental.

And don't think this is a recent thing, even when we were playing well under Poch our fans were still doing this, the expectation to fuck things up, the club absolutely need to do their bit to curtail this but we as fans need to stop manifesting this mentality at every given opportunity.

Would make more sense if we took the "Spursy" tag and rebranded it to "ENICY"?

This coulda been cut & pasted, (almost word for word) from the 'Yid debate' thread!!!

.....especially these new age fans who only take the last 20 years in isolation and just solely look at our trophy record and judge our entire existence as a club as that.

You raise a very interesting point, and one that sometimes feels like the POLAR opposite of what (and how) Woolwich fans are... Yes, they have had success and trophies in recent years (by recent, I mean in the last 15-20 years.. Not the last week or so!)
Yet even when they aren't winning their fans stubbornly emote a confidence that, personally, I think borders on arrogance... but it's something else... It emits a positive vibe that makes it feel as if they win every week, even when they don't!

Spurs fans are the total opposite... We were in the CL FINAL 4 years ago FFS, yet it feels like we've constantly been battling relegation each year!

We (I don't mean all) Spurs fans have a total glass half empty approach to our team... whereas the Gooners are VERY much glass half full... and this translates over into the media, and possibly even the players....

You could say, Spurs fans are self-depreciating realists, whilst Gooners are just jumped up arrogant tossers gloating in the smugness of their own self importance...

We MIGHT win a trophy or two in the next decade, we might not...

Yet Spurs fans exude an air of KNOWING/EXPECTING we won't... Whereas Gooners come across as simply biding their time for the inevitability of WHEN they'll win one!

I know this isn't important, but it's a bugbear of mine, so hear me out...

Celebrity Gooners (even non celebrity ones) can't WAIT to tell you what team they support, and will shoehorn the club into any conversation, at every opportunity...

Spurs fans, maybe with good reason, tend not to bring it up in polite conversation.

**Every celebrity Gooner mentions who they support (the list is endless) yet celeb Spurs fans such as (like him or loathe him) Michael McIntyre has NEVER mentioned it in any of his stand up routines... why is that I wonder? I think he realises he'll lose a large chunk of his fans if he drags Spurs into his routine... yet pricks like Jack Whitehall, Piers Morgan, Alan Davies, Matt Lucas never stop going on about it!!

It's a subtle difference, but there IS a difference in both set of fans' approach to supporting their respective clubs!

** CAVEAT ALERT**
Case in point; Exhibit A;

Just watched some Glastonbury footage from last night....
Jack Saunders, never heard of him before... (That's cos he's on Radio 1 apparently, and I'm 50... but that's by the by)

Anyway, point us, the FIRST thing he mentioned when they cut to him - LITERALLY the first words I've ever heard him say on TV - were that he "...saw the Arctic Monkeys twice at the EMIRATES STADIUM..."

Now, I know NOTHING about this man, yet I knew instantly he was a Gooner....

I'm not proud to say I then Googled him...
Jack Saunders (presenter) - Wikipedia
... there you go, he is. COURSE he is. Good for him. It's literally the first thing about him in his personal life!

Yes, there must be plenty of non-Spurs AND fans who saw Beyonce at OUR stadium last month... but I haven't heard one Name-check the stadium to date.... and why would they? The venue doesn't matter.... It's the band you saw, surely....? Unless you're a Gooner and wanna shoehorn something about them into every fucking sentence you utter!

... if the Emirates was where the Arctic Monkeys were playing, then that's fine... I don't expect him to pretend it was somewhere else... but there was something about the way he said it, (and his red hair of course) I just KNEW! Does that make me hyper sensitive to Gooners... I think it might! I can spot them a mile off!

THAT! That's what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
You raise a very interesting point, and one that sometimes feels like the POLAR opposite of what (and how) Woolwich fans are... Yes, they have had success and trophies in recent years (by recent, I mean in the last 15-20 years.. Not the last week or so!)
Yet even when they aren't winning their fans stubbornly emote a confidence that, personally, I think borders on arrogance... but it's something else... It emits a positive vibe that makes it feel as if they win every week, even when they don't!

Spurs fans are the total opposite... We were in the CL FINAL 4 years ago FFS, yet it feels like we've constantly been battling relegation each year!

We (I don't mean all) Spurs fans have a total glass half empty approach to our team... whereas the Gooners are VERY much glass half full... and this translates over into the media, and possibly even the players....

You could say, Spurs fans are self-depreciating realists, whilst Gooners are just jumped up arrogant tossers gloating in the smugness of their own self importance...

Yet Spurs fans exude an air of KNOWING/EXPECTING we won't... Whereas Gooners come across as simply biding their time for the inevitability of WHEN they'll win one!

Celebrity Gooners (even non celebrity ones) can't WAIT to tell you what team they support, and will shoehorn the club into any conversation, at every opportunity...

Spurs fans, maybe with good reason, tend not to bring it up in polite conversation.

Every celebrity Gooner mentions who they support (the list is endless) yet celeb Spurs fans such as (like him or loathe him) Michael McIntyre has NEVER mentioned it in any of his stand up routines... why is that I wonder? I think he realises he'll lose a large chunk of his fans if he drags Spurs into his routine... yet pricks like Jack Whitehall, Piers Morgan, Alan Davies, Matt Lucas never stop going on about it!!

It's a subtle difference, but there IS a difference in both set of fans' approach to supporting their respective clubs!

Wouldn't say it's Arse fans so much, but I definitely notice it with Liverpool fans.

Wouldn't say it's Arse fans so much, but I definitely notice it with Liverpool fans.
Oh don't get me wrong, Liverpool fans are a totally self obsessed entity.... They think of themselves in the same way Barca does with the rest of Spain... it's a different level of superiority complex....

But that's for Man Utd and Everton fans to rile themselves up about....

I notice it more with Arse fans 'cos I'm probably tuned into the sound of their fucking annoying noise a bit more than I am Liverpool!

Every celebrity Gooner mentions who they support (the list is endless) yet celeb Spurs fans such as (like him or loathe him) Michael McIntyre has NEVER mentioned it in any of his stand up routines... why is that I wonder? I think he realises he'll lose a large chunk of his fans if he drags Spurs into his routine... yet pricks like Jack Whitehall, Piers Morgan, Alan Davies, Matt Lucas never stop going on about it!!

I'm sorry but this expectation that we won't do anything is not me at all. I'm as proud to be a Spurs fan as I've ever been; both in terms of what we've done in the past and what I hope we'll do in the present and the future.

I'm not shy to wear a Tottenham shirt in even the most inappropriate of settings and I'll talk about Tottenham with anyone who wants to talk about Tottenham.

I think the ultimate shibboleth that determines a positive or negative Tottenham fan is attitude towards the Conference League. For me, it's a competition that we should have taken seriously because it was our chance to help establish a new European competition which is what we did with the CWC in 1963 and the UEFA Cup in 1972. The club spurned that chance and handed it to West Ham and even now a significant part of our own fanbase still rubbish the competition.

COYS

Back
Top Bottom