Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Isn’t it also that any player we can get has flaws?

Gvardiol doesn’t have glaring flaws and he’s instantly on the radar of City and Real.

This is the level we can go after
Is it though? I thought it became pretty clear pretty quickly (maybe a year or so ago) that Gvardial was going to end up at one of the very best clubs in Europe within a year or so, and therefore we wouldn't have a chance. Even if we had made a bid, had it accepted, and agreed terms with the player, surely City, Real, and others, would have come in and blown us out of the water?

People also talk about missing out on Bastoni last year - didn't he make it pretty clear that he had no intention of coming to us?

We have to remember that players aren't just commodities we can pick up off a shelf and purchase, if they don't want to come, or if bigger dogs join the hunt, then we've got no chance.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have ambition - of course we should - but anyone (for example) expecting us to get Gvardiol is dreaming. There is no point wasting time and effort going after the very best in the world, as we simply won't get them. We do, however, need to be going after the very best of the next 'tier' - not poundland rejects. Tapsoba does seem to fit that profile.

Tapsoba is the one that excites me. We need to pay a bit over the odds if needs be, especially if the reports are true and he’s keen to join.

Him and Adaraboiyo would be very satisfactory and ideally we get bidders for Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga, Lloris and Lenglet isn’t taken back.

I suspect we’ll hold on to Dier.. which isn’t ideal, him a Lloris made too many glaring individual mistakes that led to goals.

Everyone knows PL based players and Perisic.

So you knew Kulsevski before?? Or you knew Gil, Ndombele. Locleso, Dajuma, Porro, Clarke, Njie, Nkouda, Regulion, serge Aurier, Royal, Santiago Gimenez ....etc? If you say yes, you are fibbing or you are an Italian dodgy agent working for Paratici.

I mean the question is why wouldn't you know about these players, it's never been easier to watch other leagues now and do your own research on players thanks to streaming services and things like YouTube and Twitter.

The fact that you didn't know some of these names is pretty embarrassing.

I watched the (dreaded) YouTube highlights of the new Keeper last night.

I liked him. My assessment was.

He does like to parry a shot back out. Good size. He does like to parry a shot back out. Fills the goal frame and spreads well. He does like to parry a shot back out. Good reflexes. He does like to parry a shot back out. Some absolutely stunning saves. He does like to parry a shot back out. Knows his angles. He does like to parry a shot back out.

Is Tapsoba all that good? I've been on the Leverkusen forums and 1 game he will be rated as outstanding and the very next game a calamity and it seems pretty regular that he has these wild swings.

Apparently far to casual in his play at times, both in possession and whilst defending.
He's defo not worth the mad hype there's been since the link was first announced. Neither is he worth 60 mil bandied about

Tapsoba is the one that excites me. We need to pay a bit over the odds if needs be, especially if the reports are true and he’s keen to join.

Him and Adaraboiyo would be very satisfactory and ideally we get bidders for Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga, Lloris and Lenglet isn’t taken back.

I suspect we’ll hold on to Dier.. which isn’t ideal, him a Lloris made too many glaring individual mistakes that led to goals.
I dont understand the thinking behind keeping Dier. Liverpool home game last season tells you all you need to know about Dier as a defender.

I’ve watched a fair bit of him over the last few seasons. Technically good on the ball, reasonably quick, my biggest concern is he sometimes struggles to impose himself physically in duels and can sometimes get a bit outmuscled.

He’s very good in the footballing sense especially if Postecoglou wants a footballing CB and paired with the right player I think he could be a good option but he has weaknesses, and can look a bit flimsy at times defensively. Then again, most of the cb’s these days seem flawed in one way or another.
Who would be your #1 choice for CB to pair with Romero in Ange's system?

Everyone knows PL based players and Perisic. Are you being sarcastic? Pls don't.

So you knew Kulsevski before?? Or you knew Gil, Ndombele. Locleso, Dajuma, Porro, Clarke, Njie, Nkouda, Regulion, serge Aurier, Royal, Vicario ....etc? If you say yes, you are fibbing or you are an Italian dodgy agent working for Paratici.

Eh?

You've named some pretty known players there mate. If you hadn't heard some of those then it's probably more down to your lack of footballing knowledge outside of Spurs than our club going after unknowns players.

I mean the question is why wouldn't you know about these players, it's never been easier to watch other leagues now and do your own research on players thanks to streaming services and things like YouTube and Twitter.

The fact that you didn't know some of these names is pretty embarrassing.

Not to mention irrelevant as to whether they're any good or not.

Is it though? I thought it became pretty clear pretty quickly (maybe a year or so ago) that Gvardial was going to end up at one of the very best clubs in Europe within a year or so, and therefore we wouldn't have a chance. Even if we had made a bid, had it accepted, and agreed terms with the player, surely City, Real, and others, would have come in and blown us out of the water?

People also talk about missing out on Bastoni last year - didn't he make it pretty clear that he had no intention of coming to us?

We have to remember that players aren't just commodities we can pick up off a shelf and purchase, if they don't want to come, or if bigger dogs join the hunt, then we've got no chance.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have ambition - of course we should - but anyone (for example) expecting us to get Gvardiol is dreaming. There is no point wasting time and effort going after the very best in the world, as we simply won't get them. We do, however, need to be going after the very best of the next 'tier' - not poundland rejects. Tapsoba does seem to fit that profile.
My post you quoted agrees with what you just typed.

I meant it to

Have a feeling they want to do it because it’s a vanity signing. Shows ambition etc.

He’s a decent player but there are better ways to spend the cash. Like you said Iling Junior, that’s another option not even mentioned.

Would Juve let him go cheap?
I defo think there's a deal to be done with Juve, seen as they've reportedly been interested in Tanguy and Lo Celso in the past.

I'd happily let them have either for 20ish mil + Iling Jr + bonuses

I dont understand the thinking behind keeping Dier. Liverpool home game last season tells you all you need to know about Dier as a defender.
Oh I agree. I want him gone. I just suspect we can’t get rid of them all and Dier is the one that’ll hang on…

I like him.

Underrated imo.

Better than every CB at the club bar Romero and I could see him pushing Romero to hesitate on those long Argentina trips in case he doesn’t get his spot back.

He’s not the #1 target level but we’d be much better as a squad with him
On Romero...perhaps we wouldn't need to worry about his Argentina trips or cuntshithousery penalizing us if he weren't at the club no more.

How some still call him world class/elite is beyond me.

Saudis come calling with a 60 mil offer, I'm driving him to Riyadh.

Everyone knows PL based players and Perisic. Are you being sarcastic? Pls don't.

So you knew Kulsevski before?? Or you knew Gil, Ndombele. Locleso, Dajuma, Porro, Clarke, Njie, Nkouda, Regulion, serge Aurier, Royal, Vicario ....etc? If you say yes, you are fibbing or you are a dodgy Italian agent working for Paratici.
Of these names I can honestly say I had to do research on

Gil, Clarke, N’Jie and Vicario

The rest should be fairly well known I thought.

Back
Top Bottom