Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

9 touches in the box vs Cardiff by Roberto Soldado more than any forward last weekend. Sunday saw him fire another 4 goal attempts (all inside the box) and a couple of “key passes”. He has now registered 14 shots inside the box, only Olivier Giroud (17) and Robin Van Persie (16) have managed more.
He's getting there...

He has a lovely touch and gets more involved in build-up than I expected (see: Norwich, first goal), especially in making space for others (see: that run that opened space for Paulinho's drive into the box).

He's just been unlucky so far to face deep defenses that have given him really, really little time to get off a clear shot (it looks like he does, but that's precisely because of his superb reaction speed). Like most strikers, he's more suited to the kind of quick, fluid counterattacks that Arse/City play since those chances are more likely to be clear one-on-ones or the polishing off of crosses, whereas we like to push our opponents back until they finally crack. Even so, he has a very good sense of positioning - he's still finding pockets of space and creating chances for himself, and as we become more and more familiar with each other we'll hopefully be able to start moving the ball at speed in their third and unraveling them even in congested areas.

This is just an inkling, but I have a feeling that given some time he would do really, really well with Lamela - because from the few glimpses we've had, it looks like Lamela *loves* these delicate little dinks and softly lofted balls into the space behind the defense. And if the runner's not a moron, they'll land straight into his path, just begging to be hit first-time ... and Soldado is known as the 'volley king' in Spain for a reason. :p

Another dull display today. Have not seen anything YET from RS to make me believe he is worth the £26m we paid for him.

You can post all you like about his shots, his touches ho movement - all that stuff, but he was signed to score goals, and they ain't coming. If we were getting the EXACT SAME performances from Adebayor people wouldn't be happy and that's a fact.

(awaits neg-reps)

Another dull display today. Have not seen anything YET from RS to make me believe he is worth the £26m we paid for him.

You can post all you like about his shots, his touches ho movement - all that stuff, but he was signed to score goals, and they ain't coming. If we were getting the EXACT SAME performances from Adebayor people wouldn't be happy and that's a fact.

(awaits neg-reps)
none from me
buttttttttttttttttt
I don't think we are serving him well enough to get the best from him.

He's adjusting to a new league. It will click, his more than a goal every other game for Valencia wasn't a fluke.

Normally that would be fair, but we (Spurs) don't have the luxury or waiting for him to adjust.

He cost £26m and he's 28 yeas old. We really needed him to hit the ground running and he hasn't.

Normally that would be fair, but we (Spurs) don't have the luxury or waiting for him to adjust.
Yes we do. We're in the top four and romping it in the cups. If we had, say, two points from eight games, then we'd really need him banging in hat-tricks every game. As things stand, he's settling in.
His career goals suggest he isn't shite and he hasn't become shite over the last month.

90% of Spurs supporters, 90% of the time:

141362-004-BB0AD15A.gif

OK guys, it's a bit long, but here are my thoughts on this Roberto fella's situation: :soldadowatch:

The problem:

We all know what it is ... not scoring due to not enough service.
At Valencia, he had all sorts of creativity from the players around him.
Banega, Feghouli, Guardado, etc ... all eased Soldado's job.

The difference between them and us is putting balls into the box, which Valencia primarily had done by using normal wingers who crossed the ball.

The solution:
not including the role of our fullbacks and the fact he's at a new club
We already have Eriksen/Holtby to solve the Banega problem.
The rest of the answer is ... well, we do play with inverted wingers. So that is something that would always be different for Soldado.

So, we can either ...

Try to play with normal wingers, which we are very capable of because of having Lennon on RW and Townsend/Lamela on LW. This is something that I would really like to see. We haven't done much with this because remember, Lennon has been out for a long time.

Or...

The other option is to stick with inverted wingers.
The usual inverted wingers normally cut in and strike for goal.
But we also have the exceptional inverted wingers that can do more than just cut in: Lamela and to a fairly decent extent Chadli (though recently Siggy has been really improving his involvement with Soldado). These guys are the creative wingers that should replace the normal wingers that Soldado used to play with at Valencia.

At first, tbh, I was a bit surprised with the Soldado's signing, as in if he was the right player.
This is because I always had a feeling that AVB would evolve our team to his preferred inverted winger system with a 433 (which he mostly has done so). Usually, because such wingers have the tendency to cut in/shoot rather than provide the ball to the striker, this system opts for a striker who is capable of scoring on his own. I guess we were initially trying to sign such a striker in David Villa, but plans changed. Thus, this is why I was unsure of Soldado as he is someone who primarily relies on others. However, my thoughts changed a lot as we continued the spending. My question was ultimately solved with Chadli, Lamela, and Eriksen.

A system with Soldado can work (we have even seen the glimpses and potential of it) because we have the right players. We really haven't seen Soldado, Lamela, and Eriksen/Holtby play together over a long duration in a game. Hell, we even haven't seen Soldado and Lennon play together for a while.

So my final view is that ...
I will reserve my final judgement on our purchase of Soldado, until I see these certain interactions, which should ultimately judge the whole situation by itself.

Last edited:
He cost £26m and he's 28 yeas old. We really needed him to hit the ground running and he hasn't.
His price shouldn't dictate how well he adjusts to a new country, culture, club, lifestyle, teammates and playing style. He's scored four goals in six games and set up a goal today.

You are judging him on whether our outlay is worth it after six games? Get real.

Last edited:
Yes we do. We're in the top four and romping it in the cups. If we had, say, two points from eight games, then we'd really need him banging in hat-tricks every game. As things stand, he's settling in.
His career goals suggest he isn't shite and he hasn't become shite over the last month.

sorry mate but that logic doesn't work, because its suggests that it doesn't really matter how well Soldado is doing as long as we're winning.

All but four goals he has ever scored has been for Spurs. As I said, I am judging him on what I've seen him do as a Spurs player, not what he has done elsewhere, and so far I have seen little to convince me that the £26m we spent was a good investment. Especially for us as we don't have the millions that other clubs do.

His price shouldn't dictate how well he adjusts to a new country, culture, club, lifestyle, teammates and playing style. He's scored four goals in six games and set up a goal today.

You are judging him on whether our outlay is worth it after six games? Get real.

Dude, you seem to have completely missed my point, which is that - at age 28 and a (then) club record £26m fee we needed him to hit the ground running - its a massive investment for us and we need a number 9 who can put the ball away regularly. Soldado is at the peak of his career now so to get value for money from him we need goals. Thats why we signed him.

And I am not writing him off either - and yes I am judging him on what I have seen so far - what else should I judge him on? Why is this not allowed?

This past window, yes. Yes, we did.

Get off Soldado's nuts. He'll be fine.

I'm not on his nuts - but I guess the point I am trying to make is coming across as "get this useless cunt out of our club" to most people on here.for some reason - which is stupid. I am trying to have a reasonable discussion but - well, fuck it, whatever, I just won't contribute to this thread anymore.

For the record - a 28 year old striker signed for a record fee needed to hit the ground running and I am disappointed that he hasn't. I'll judge him PRIMARILY on his goal tally for us, because he's a striker and that's why we bought him - to score goals. I have not written him off yet by any stretch of things.

To be honest, you've not really said anything other than share your conclusion that Soldado looks to be a bust at this point in the season. Singhyid's tried to give his analysis, much of which I agree with (and would add the point made by many that it's a new league and an entire set of new players for him); what do you think the difficulties have been? Is it also your contention that we should have spent the money on another player you have in mind or been better off not spending that money on Soldado at all?

Back
Top Bottom