Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having watched yesterday on TV I didn't get as good an impression as he's made every time I've seen him play live in the flesh. That's because his movement is SO superior to anything we've had up top since Klinsmann or Lineker. And you don't get to see that on telly as its only focusing on the ball.
It's the opposite of Defoe (not digging him out here) in that a game on the box won't give you a clear impression that he's NOT making intelligent runs (this improved this season in fairness).

Point is, to add to the valid defences of him not getting any service/us playing with inverted wingers, that to see this guy from the stands you'd be impressed and I think he's the real deal.

I'm not on his nuts - but I guess the point I am trying to make is coming across as "get this useless cunt out of our club" to most people on here.for some reason - which is stupid. I am trying to have a reasonable discussion but - well, fuck it, whatever, I just won't contribute to this thread anymore.

For the record - a 28 year old striker signed for a record fee needed to hit the ground running and I am disappointed that he hasn't. I'll judge him PRIMARILY on his goal tally for us, because he's a striker and that's why we bought him - to score goals. I have not written him off yet by any stretch of things.

He is adjusting to a completely different league. It isn't unreasonable to give him 10 games in which to do that, 6 is just not enough.

Soldado is a quality player. I feel he is adjusting his game as much as we need to adapt to his.
He makes the correct runs to the near/back post. He was in a great position when Paulinho hit the post. He hit the right positions at Cardiff, had some great efforts on goal but failed to score.
It will happen with him because he is willing to adapt his game for the team, looking to interact with players running into penalty area and on the edge (already he seems to have linked with Sigurosson -they look for each other). He will come good, I'm sure of it, as other players find this same interplay with him.

He commands the attention of other teams best defenders and so gives others more opportunities to score he is doing his job. Give him time and this debate will be history

if anyone makes a valid or reasonable point - and it goes against the grain of slavish and unquestioning support - the poster gets a roasting from all of the "kings new clothes" crowd.
Really makes for healthy debate and discussion.

For me - singhyid nailed it with the issues about supply into the box. he just isnt a back to the goal striker, and neither is Defoe

Supply wise he's going to have a field day when Chadli and Lennon start playing more. Not doing Siggurdson and Townsend a dis-service but they can't supply a cross like Chadli or a dangerous by line cut back from Lennon, not as well as those anyway:townhmm:

Was a poor performance from him yesterday, but still far too early to judge, could of started off with us better though. Hopefully Ade will be close to fitness so that we have a better rotation option.

if anyone makes a valid or reasonable point - and it goes against the grain of slavish and unquestioning support - the poster gets a roasting from all of the "kings new clothes" crowd.
Is suggest it's neither valid nor reasonable to be questioning the performance of someone who has played about half a dozen games for us. It's another example of the "I WANT EVERYTHING NOW" attitude that people seem to have these days.

I remember watching Jason fucking Dozzell and there's questions about Soldado? I don't even understand how that could happen.

Supply wise he's going to have a field day when Chadli and Lennon start playing more. Not doing Siggurdson and Townsend a dis-service but they can't supply a cross like Chadli or a dangerous by line cut back from Lennon, not as well as those anyway:townhmm:

You're not doing them a dis-service you are simply making excuses for Soldado, Ade got slated for putting in far better performances than golden boy.

He commands the attention of other teams best defenders and so gives others more opportunities to score he is doing his job. Give him time and this debate will be history
ahh the classic "he does more than score goals".

Is suggest it's neither valid nor reasonable to be questioning the performance of someone who has played about half a dozen games for us. It's another example of the "I WANT EVERYTHING NOW" attitude that people seem to have these days.

I remember watching Jason fucking Dozzell and there's questions about Soldado? I don't even understand how that could happen.

And even more recently Frazer Campbell . Soldado is a good addition to our squad but I haven't seen enough to think he should be an automatic choice. In fact Adebayor 2 seasons ago impressed me more.

Having watched yesterday on TV I didn't get as good an impression as he's made every time I've seen him play live in the flesh. That's because his movement is SO superior to anything we've had up top since Klinsmann or Lineker. And you don't get to see that on telly as its only focusing on the ball.
It's the opposite of Defoe (not digging him out here) in that a game on the box won't give you a clear impression that he's NOT making intelligent runs (this improved this season in fairness).

Point is, to add to the valid defences of him not getting any service/us playing with inverted wingers, that to see this guy from the stands you'd be impressed and I think he's the real deal.

Only been over once thus far this season, but I know exactly where you're coming from, in the game against Swansea he was a defenders absolute night mare, never standing still and always making these clever runs that spit the defense, he's a player crying out for some service. I'm sure when everyone gets a bit more time together we'll see him being picked out more and he will start banging in goals.

But exactly like you said, when you watch the match back on the television it just seems like he didn't do an awful lot.

And even more recently Frazer Campbell . Soldado is a good addition to our squad but I haven't seen enough to think he should be an automatic choice. In fact Adebayor 2 seasons ago impressed me more.

Ade scored 1 on his debut and then 2 on his home debut against Liverpool which probably helped. He knew the English game, but I do agree at this stage Adebayor was better in his spell.

Soldado will settle and come good. Besides, he hasn't really been bad anyway.

Back
Top Bottom