Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Again, all those first time shots that he makes either straight at the keeper or into a defenders legs. He moves well, and links up the attacks well, but he really does need to start converting soon.

Still not worried in the slightest, he got very unlucky yesterday. The goals will clearly come soon although he is at 4 goals in 6 matches currently. I love how the bloke rarely loses possession, damn near everytime the ball comes to him it sticks.

Still not worried in the slightest, he got very unlucky yesterday. The goals will clearly come soon although he is at 4 goals in 6 matches currently. I love how the bloke rarely loses possession, damn near everytime the ball comes to him it sticks.

This for me is his strongest suit at the moment. Regardless of where he receives the ball, he keeps it our feet. I can't recall a single instance from memory of him conceding the ball on the ground in the attacking third. As our players continue to gain confidence and become more aggressive in attack, his goal-scoring capability will become more involved.

This for me is his strongest suit at the moment. Regardless of where he receives the ball, he keeps it our feet. I can't recall a single instance from memory of him conceding the ball on the ground in the attacking third. As our players continue to gain confidence and become more aggressive in attack, his goal-scoring capability will become more involved.

Last seasons game at old trafford, unites pressure was a result of Defoes inability to do this. The only time he did it we scored

- Soldado is a class act

Ladies and gentleman - the misfiring-striker Nurenberg defence.

It's quite obvious that AVB has set the team up in such a way that goalscoring chances will fall to multiple players. Take Barcelona for example, most of their attacks end with Messi on the end of the ball, the same goes for Madrid with Ronaldo and United with Van Persie. They have built their teams around their most prolific goal scorers.

2013/2014
Ronaldo 9.6 shots per game
Messi 6 shots per game
Van Persie 4.8 shots per game
Olivier Giroud 4.6 shots per game
Etoo 4.5 shots per game
Michu 3.6 shots per game

2013/2014 Spurs.

Andros Townsend 5.5 shots per game
Paulihno 3.6 shots per game
SIggy 2.8 shots per game
Soldado 2.8 shots per game
Chadli 2.7 shots per game
Eriksen 2.5 shots per game

Now there are several ways we can interpret those stats. Firstly the sample size is small as its so early in the season.

It could be argued that Soldado isn't getting enough delivery however his SPG rate is more or less the same as during the past 3 seasons at Valencia.

2010/2011 - 2.4 SPG - 18 goals
2011/2012 - 2.5 SPG - 17 goals
2012/2013 - 2.9 SPG - 24 goals

IMO as long as he racks up around 17 goals in the league then we should be satisfied. Our tactics involve a lot of long range shooting as well finding our wingers in behind the opposition defence. Soldado would benefit more from our wingers sending crosses into the box but with the likes of Lamela and Siggy that won't happen often.

We shouldn't expect Soldado to find the net as regularly as Van Persie, Etoo as our tactics won't allow for it.

Again, all those first time shots that he makes either straight at the keeper or into a defenders legs. He moves well, and links up the attacks well, but he really does need to start converting soon.

He will don't worry. You don't score as many goals in Spain as he did if you're bad finisher. Look at how many chances we have created this season, and our new players have only had two games together!

I thought he was very good yesterday

His strike after Siggy hit the woodwork was spot on and was a bit unlucky that it went straight at the keeper.

And that shot a bit later (when he was ruled offsides) was ridiculous. I can't recall a striker from last year getting into that type of position and being able to get such a technically strong shot off when the ball was coming at him so quickly.

Its definitely only a matter of time before the floodgates open for Soldado.

Give him a little bit of time. He's been one of my favorite players for years after watching him play for Valencia, he's a fantastic player. He's been one of our best players so far even though he hasn't been as clinical as he normally is. His outstanding movement and link up play are just part of his game. Once he's settled in he'll be nailing in all those half chances that he got yesterday. He always hits the target which is one of his best qualities. Soon, those shots will be going in like they normally do for him.

And did you see that volley he had yesterday even though he was (wrongly) flagged offsides? That just shows a glimpse of what he can do.

Soldado was answering some questions on Facebook today ... :soldadowatch:

-Can you score eight against Chelsea please, Bob?
-Well, I hope Adam. I wish it was like that. If I can achieve some way towards that, I will be happy.

-What celebration will you do after your second goal tomorrow?
-My goal celebration is to open up my arms in a plane shape because that is what Ronaldo used to do. I have seen him do that since I was a little boy so that is my celebration.

-What are your ambitions for the season?
-Hello Lisa. I would like to get to the goal that we have as a team which is to be up there in the first positions. I also want to have a better score, which is more than 20 goals for the season for me.

-How has the language barrier been so far? Are the boys learning more Spanish from you or are you learning more English from them?
-Hi Adam. My English is going better and better and more I can understand what my friends on the pitch are saying to me. In a few months I know it will be much better.

9 touches in the box vs Cardiff by Roberto Soldado more than any forward last weekend. Sunday saw him fire another 4 goal attempts (all inside the box) and a couple of “key passes”. He has now registered 14 shots inside the box, only Olivier Giroud (17) and Robin Van Persie (16) have managed more.

Back
Top Bottom