Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Honest question... what particular game did it all 'go wrong' for him? ...or was it 'just' that piece he did to the Papers??

'cos to be honest... the first coupla months when he broke into the team, I genuinely had high hopes...
The goal against West Ham in that dramatic 3-2 win... the midfield MASTERCLASS against Real Madrid at Wembley... was that all just a fluke...? Beginner's luck?

He did a cracking interview on Football Focus, he loves the club, he has the 'looks' and I honestly thought he was gonna be our Beckham!!
OK... maybe that's a bit much ... but certainly the next Ryan Mason we never got to realise...

...now it's on poor Ollie Skipp to be the 'Harry Winks' we never knew we had!

Was it just Poch who brought out the best in him... and it's been downhill ever since>> or was he never that good in the first place, and spent the first season flattering to deceive?

Answers on a Postcard, please!

Have you got a link to that "piece in the papers?"
Actually, my bad... it wasn't the papers as such; 'just' Goal.com & Sky... on 2 separate occasions.

TBH, I never saw the problem with him voicing his frustrations... he's as critical of himself as anyone else... and certainly doesn't deserve some of the 'Rat Cunt Wage Thief' vitriol he gets on here...
No he's not the most gifted player we've ever had... but neither were Homegrown/Spurs fans David Howells or Vinny Samways... they got 'groans' every time they mis-placed a sideways pass, but never the level of abuse Winks does...

I just wish he was better at what he did, 'cos he shoulda had every chance to be adored by the Spurs fans if only he was as good as we really wanted him to be!

Honest question... what particular game did it all 'go wrong' for him? ...or was it 'just' that piece he did to the Papers??

'cos to be honest... the first coupla months when he broke into the team, I genuinely had high hopes...
The goal against West Ham in that dramatic 3-2 win... the midfield MASTERCLASS against Real Madrid at Wembley... was that all just a fluke...? Beginner's luck?

He did a cracking interview on Football Focus, he loves the club, he has the 'looks' and I honestly thought he was gonna be our Beckham!!
OK... maybe that's a bit much ... but certainly the next Ryan Mason we never got to realise...

Was it just Poch who brought out the best in him... and it's been downhill ever since>> or was he never that good in the first place, and spent the first season flattering to deceive?

Never had any hopes from even the beginning. He got a honeymoon for a few years because he was young , local and most fans are rose tinted.
He was mediocre at best with a 1/10 good game. Playing with superior players 3/4 years ago made him look better.
Always offered so little and a major reason he is still here states how incompetently the club is run.

Personally I’ve never seen much in him anyway, but I think it was the two ankle injuries towards the end of the 17/18 season that did the damage rather than a specific game. He had two spells out in quick succession and seemed to lose any confidence he had. He used to be more attacking minded and had a bit of vision for a pass, but he seems to have lost those now.
The other thing to factor in is the team factor. We’ve seen before how mediocre players can raise their game when the whole team are playing well and getting the results. That’s where performances like Madrid come in or Lucas against Ajax. Take away that overall team unity and confidence and you’re left with players playing at their own normal level.
Winks is just not good enough for us in my view. He‘s more suited to a team in the lower half or the premiership or even the championship and should be moved on as quickly as possible.

He’s going to outlast Conte, isn’t he.

Next Summer, he’ll do his obligatory interview about how much of a privilege it is to play for the club and how he’s really looking forward to working hard under Brendan Rodgers.

Yup

Another good manager will bite the dust because of this little coward

Did a good job today against a team who played to our strengths. Might be worth noting pretty much everyone we know is probably not good enough had a 'good' game today.
We played a championship side - but yes most did a job so fair dos

Still can’t tackle for shit though

Back
Top Bottom