Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm much more open to Mourinho then I was at the time of the hire. I didn't think he was a bad coach as much as thought it just wouldn't work out, and that a League Cup wasn't enough to burn the club down for.

He's done a good job of implementing his system and has improved our defense. Our offense can be lethal on the right day and he's shown signs of willingness to change the team to take advantage of the talent we have up front. He's made very astute signings during the two windows he's been here.

But Mourinho is judged on one thing - trophies. We had a lot of great wins under Poch, got to multiple cup finals and semi-finals, played great football and competed with the best teams in the world. Poch may not have won matches the same way as Mourinho, but he certainly won his fair share of big games.

If Mourinho wins a big one then obviously it was all worth it, but don't fault me for waiting for it to happen before I start congratulating everyone on a job well done. The signs are there, let's hope he finishes the job.
Poch won fuck all

Really can’t see the comparison

Yeah, don't get me wrong I appreciate the job Mourinho is doing and the defensive shape we're adopting protects deficiencies at CB .. but if I were a fan of United, City, Chelsea or Liverpool I'd have watched our last 5 PL games and seen no big reason to fear a title charge from us (as well as we've done points-wise) (Hides behind couch)
Time to smash the Woolwich

Yeah, don't get me wrong I appreciate the job Mourinho is doing and the defensive shape we're adopting protects deficiencies at CB .. but if I were a fan of United, City, Chelsea or Liverpool I'd have watched our last 5 PL games and seen no big reason to fear a title charge from us (as well as we've done points-wise) (Hides behind couch)
1 goal conceded in 5 games that should have been disallowed.
2 clean sheets aginst our rivals. In fact, having played 3 of them already, we have conceded 1 goal, a penalty, in the first minute, against them. And scored 8.
Kane, Son, Bale, Moura, Bergwijn, Vinicious, Lamela, GLC attacing options.
A serial title winner as coach.

If people still can't comprehend we are in with a shout then they never will.

Mourinho has won has many trophies at Tottenham as Poch has. I don't really give a shit about what he has won elsewhere.

Hmm.
POch has won nothing in 3 jobs. Not a dickie bird.
He had 4 full seasons with Spurs and got to 2 finals and still won nothing. He managed to finish 3rd in a 2 horse race.

Mourinho took over a team that was broken, now where near title contenders, almost out of the CL and already out of the league cup.
He had no chance of wining something in his half a season.

Think it's best listening to his pressers than reading them.

When asked about the injuries, he almost sounded sarcastic when mentioning the likes of Kane, Vinicius, Toby etc yet really clear when mentioning Lamela being out.

I assume because Lamela is the only one actually injured.

Jose is a master at this.

Hmm.
POch has won nothing in 3 jobs. Not a dickie bird.
He had 4 full seasons with Spurs and got to 2 finals and still won nothing. He managed to finish 3rd in a 2 horse race.

Mourinho took over a team that was broken, now where near title contenders, almost out of the CL and already out of the league cup.
He had no chance of wining something in his half a season.
That's great, and I am excited for the incoming quadruple.

My point is we've been here before in 2015-2019...this is not new territory for Spurs over the last 5 or so years. The difference is the hope that Mourinho can finish the job on the big ones (read as: I don't give two shits about the League Cup).

My point is we've been here before in 2015-2019...this is not new territory for Spurs over the last 5 or so years. The difference is the hope that Mourinho can finish the job on the big ones (read as: I don't give two shits about the League Cup).
league cup is important for us to get that monkey of our back. 1000/1 for the quad.... worth a score all day long hahahah

Mourinho has won has many trophies at Tottenham as Poch has. I don't really give a shit about what he has won elsewhere.
Well you should do

As far as I can recall Poch had us in 14th place before Jose took over

We’re now top

Like I said
No comparison but you continue beating Poch’s drum

Put Mourinho in charge of the Champions League final against Liverpool and, IMO, our chances of winning go up tremendously.
Put him in charge of the FA Cup Semi Finals against Chelsea and United (assuming he would't also be in charge of United) and I reckon we win both.

He knows what to do when the pressure is on. He knows how to counter other teams. We weren't bad in any of those 3 games but we lost them all.

When asked about the injuries, he almost sounded sarcastic when mentioning the likes of Kane, Vinicius, Toby etc yet really clear when mentioning Lamela being out.

If doable you should always listen to manager interviews. Their actual intent becomes much clearer when you listen to them.

ESPNS top 100 player rankings are out...
The sheer disrespect from ESPN is just ridiculous...
No Jose in the top 10?

Loop Trump GIF

Last edited:
league cup is important for us to get that monkey of our back. 1000/1 for the quad.... worth a score all day long hahahah
I agree it's good for the squad and Mourinho has generally gone after it at United and Chelsea because it gets the squad used to the pressure and winning, but from an (individual) supporter's perspective it's not really the trophy I had in mind when Jose was hired.

Last edited:

That is the truth. He bought Mo Salah. Mo Salah was completely overawed. A nervous wreck. I remember one game where he took a shot on goal and it ended up for a throw for the opposition on the other side. Against L1 opposition in a Cup game. It was the last time he would play for Chelsea. He then went on loan to Fiorentina, does extremely well there. Loan over, but Mo Salah excercised his option to stay in Fiorentina. JM gets sacked. 2nd year loan over, Mo Salah still refuses to come back to Chelsea. There was some noise regarding his loan agreement and Salah was then sold to Sampdoria.

That is the truth. He bought Mo Salah. Mo Salah was completely overawed. A nervous wreck. I remember one game where he took a shot on goal and it ended up for a throw for the opposition on the other side. Against L1 opposition in a Cup game. It was the last time he would play for Chelsea. He then went on loan to Fiorentina, does extremely well there. Loan over, but Mo Salah excercised his option to stay in Fiorentina. JM gets sacked. 2nd year loan over, Mo Salah still refuses to come back to Chelsea. There was some noise regarding his loan agreement and Salah was then sold to Sampdoria.
He was sold to Roma, though - not Sampdoria. But you´re right about everything else.

Last edited:
Put Mourinho in charge of the Champions League final against Liverpool and, IMO, our chances of winning go up tremendously.
Put him in charge of the FA Cup Semi Finals against Chelsea and United (assuming he would't also be in charge of United) and I reckon we win both.

He knows what to do when the pressure is on. He knows how to counter other teams. We weren't bad in any of those 3 games but we lost them all.
100%. He would have got us over the line in at least two of those three scenarios. Loved Poch, but time to move on.

Just do a number on those bastards this Sun Jose!

Completely agree about listening to his pressers. You will get to understand certain decisions that he makes. For example, he said in a presser that Ndombele can only last 60 mins at the pace that he wants him to play. So he plays 60 mins or not at all (this is my own take). Good news, last time out, he played 65 mins.
Love what we're doing under Jose but it's too early in the season to be making some of the revisionist statements I see(not even so much here, social media etc). "I'd rather play like this and win trophies than play like we did under Poch and win nothing" ... As much as I've enjoyed this season we could conceivably finish outside the top four and win nothing. The season is long, league position after 10 games does not completely justify a playing style over 38.
Ditto this. Spurs is still very much a one winged bird. I suspect Bale's injury isn't completely healed and you certainly don't want to see Bale end his career now by pushing him. Too many people have written Bale off as a has-been. Comparing Spurs with the RM team under JM, I see Ndombele as the Ozil equivalent but there is still a missing piece in midfield, someone you guys know very well - Luka Modric.

so probably son, kane and vinicius front 3 ? i think they could play together with kane dropping deep

Id say Regi and Kane got day off and Vinicius has a slight knock.

Back
Top Bottom