Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have improved defensively because we have stopped giving away penalties and Free Kicks in dangerous areas. It came up on the screen that Chelsea have scored more goals from corners than anyone else but I never felt we had a problem when earlier in the season we did.

We’ll probably scrape a 2-1 win!
It will do me though!
I'd like to keep the clean sheet streak going, Hugo deserves it, but yes, 3 points is 3 points. Liverpool face Wolves, Chelsea fance Leeds, a chance to pull away from the pack a little.

I think something similar to Conte's Chelsea situation happened after West ham. IIRC Conte let Chelsea played their usual 4 at the back in the first few games but after a bad run he then found it easier to persuade them to change to a 5 which then produced that 13/14 game winning streak.
Conte's change took place at half time in the game at the goons. They were 3-0 down and had been taken apart by Wenger's tikka takka almost every time they attacked.

The 2nd half was 0-0, and the rest as they say is....

Often wondered what might have happened that season if they hadn't played the goons till later on, or if the goons' finishing had been crap that day.

Little tactical piece by Michael Cox in the Athletic (how do I paste images?):

I think we'll be playing very differently against Arse though.

That piece also reflects honestly on Sissoko -

"Full disclosure: Sissoko didn’t actually defend this situation well — a pass nutmegged him and ran through to Jesus. "

" Here’s an example of how he was effectively playing as a right-sided centre-back, with Rodon caught out higher up the pitch. Here, the ball is slipped in behind Sissoko, who loses his balance, but Werner had strayed offside."

I mean it was discussed how he helped to take some room away but like out of 5 situations described, he made a mess out of it in 2 occasions. That made me just think how much better we potentially could be with either Skipp filling that role or even to play Toby next to PEH-you know player who can actually make some long passes, can head the ball and put in a tackle if needed :D :D .

Say

-----Son----Lucas------
--------Kane---------
---------Ndombele---
----PEH----Toby------
Regulion-Dier-Rodon-Aurier-
------------Lloris-----------------

What a protection would that create to our backline...
And we'd have 2 quick runners + Kane and Ndombele behind them able to generate this spark of genius that they both are well able to create!

Playing in this pragmatic way against top teams is fine but Mourinho must make sure we use our attacking talents properly against lesser teams. I think after the West Ham game he challenged the players to show they could defend properly and they've proven that they can, now I want to see us take the game to Woolwich on Sunday. We should be confident in our defence now that we can play with more attacking intent.

I'm not quibbling with playing counter attacking football because I think that is what suits our squad, but we need to avoid this habit we have of playing a good first 45 and then dropping too deep and getting stuck in our half.

Yea, ain't that crazy!!

Went back to check and -
Games 1.-5. - we conceded 8 goals (1,6 per game)
Games 6.-10. - we conceded 1 goal (0,2 per game)

And in latter 5 we played against City and Chelsea!

The thing is - I don't (and can't) demand that everything has to be perfect right away. But I need to see a progress. Letting Wet Spam back from 3:0 to 3:3 really hurt, but just look at our record since this game. I am okay with us not playing some super-exiting and free-flowing football, until we can keep results coming like now.

Also we are top of the league, and 2 of our draws could have very easily had been victories (Toon and Spam; heck, even yesterday this Moura-Lo Celso moment had making of a winning goal in it, barring poor decision), in which case we would be 4 points clear of anyone else...

So just keep it coming Jose and you will win over the most stubborn supporters as well!
COYS, Come on You Jose!
I said after the West Ham game that letting in those three goals would turn out to be the best thing to happen to us, that Jose would plug the leak and we’d become defensively solid. We needed that to try and win the league.

As long as we can kill most other teams on the break we can win a lot if games because we will rarely concede. Only the best teams will be able yo stop that.

And games like Chelsea, in past seasons we get nothing while they get three points. instead they’ve gained nothing on us.

I said after the West Ham game that letting in those three goals would turn out to be the best thing to happen to us, that Jose would plug the leak and we’d become defensively solid. We needed that to try and win the league.

As long as we can kill most other teams on the break we can win a lot if games because we will rarely concede. Only the best teams will be able yo stop that.

And games like Chelsea, in past seasons we get nothing while they get three points. instead they’ve gained nothing on us.
And the longer the game went on the more likely we looked to win it
Gio’s brain fart clear evidence but hopefully he’ll learn from it

Project Jose is up and running but only just starting!

I think a big improvement has been our defending from set pieces -
Without doubt.

I'd also highlight that we don't give away as many cheap freekicks when in our half.

In that Spam game, 2 goals came from 2 really stupid freekicks where the attacker, in each case running AWAY from our goal and near the bloody touchline too, mugged off Siss and Serge by collapsing. Neither were fouls, but each time we gave the ref the option of a free kick.

Not sure how we could have avoided the freekick against the Barcodes. Their player ran straight into our one, blatant dive.

Fucking annoying every time. But Kane is a past master at getting kicks when we need to relieve pressure or create a chance. Maybe Mou and Harry have run some sessions with S and S to say - avoid doing THAT. Track the oppo guy with the ball but DO NOT BLOODY TOUCH HIM

Got back handed compliment written all over it, that headline

Also
We've seen managers like Mauricio Pochettino, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp come into the league and been absolutely fantastic.
Poch, love him, won nothing and finished behind Mourinho at Chelsea and United. Also lost the league cup final against Mourinho at Chelsea and an FAC Semi against Mourinho's United.

All the love for Poch seems to cloud peoples judgements.
Won nothing. Got out done in games that mattered, time and time again.

Yeah, Michael Cox said pretty much this in his Athletic piece, noting that the obvious disadvantage is removing resources from midfield. I'm not surprised that we were extra cautious with protecting our backline though considering it consisted of two very attacking FBs + a CB who's literally never started in the PL before. I thought we still looked quite dangerous in the first half, simultaneously holding them at bay and building up quickly and cleanly through midfield but just lacking that edge with the final ball.

It does make me think (caveat of having only watched him a few times) Sabitzer could fit very well here, a workhorse with Sissoko's engine and discipline but also ability on the ball (appreciate Sissoko's role here but our passmaps are always noticeably lighter on the right, can't help but think that's a little missed opportunity esp if Sonny is going to play on the right in some games). I don't think we'll make any big moves in Jan but if the opportunity's there...

Back
Top Bottom