Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've never been more wrong about someone. I remember watching him do a piece as part of the punditry team on BEIN Sport, and I thought that he was very good. Since he has came in, he has been such an interesting man to observe and he is WAY more likeable than I thought, and it is even more different when he is your "own".

United really fucked it with him. He smashed records with Madrid. Done what he did with Chelsea.

When I went Inter (A) (We lost 2-1) I always remember seeing a banner in the Inter end saying "Mourinho - Campeon" which stuck with me about how much respect he still has there. I really hope he can lift some silverware with us as I would love to remember him for it in the future. I would be so proud for us to finally win something and for it to be with him...When all said and done, he is truly a legendary manager and it is still mad he is with us.

Got back handed compliment written all over it, that headline

Also

Poch, love him, won nothing and finished behind Mourinho at Chelsea and United. Also lost the league cup final against Mourinho at Chelsea and an FAC Semi against Mourinho's United.

All the love for Poch seems to cloud peoples judgements.
Won nothing. Got out done in games that mattered, time and time again.
Love Poch too. But it’s impossible to seriously argue with your main point on achievement

What some of these failed managers, ex players, and terrible pundits/analysts continue to fail to see or mention is the fact that Jose adapts his tactics based on who he has in the squad to work with. They’re missing a key piece which is the players in the squad dictate how we are set up. Even Pep couldn’t play the way he wants to play without his type of players. So, what does Jose do? He changes how his team plays to give his team the best chance for a result.

Playing in this pragmatic way against top teams is fine but Mourinho must make sure we use our attacking talents properly against lesser teams. I think after the West Ham game he challenged the players to show they could defend properly and they've proven that they can, now I want to see us take the game to Woolwich on Sunday. We should be confident in our defence now that we can play with more attacking intent.

I'm not quibbling with playing counter attacking football because I think that is what suits our squad, but we need to avoid this habit we have of playing a good first 45 and then dropping too deep and getting stuck in our half.

woolwich will definitely up their game against us, we still have to careful in approaching them

I think the set-up will be the same to the last two games in terms of line-up. I just think we won't sit as deep in both games, but we will fall into a back "6" when they attack because he'll want to suffocate Auba.

We'll be more adventurous, there are holes in that Woolwich defence and their midfield is there to be controlled.

Love what we're doing under Jose but it's too early in the season to be making some of the revisionist statements I see(not even so much here, social media etc). "I'd rather play like this and win trophies than play like we did under Poch and win nothing" ... As much as I've enjoyed this season we could conceivably finish outside the top four and win nothing. The season is long, league position after 10 games does not completely justify a playing style over 38.

What some of these failed managers, ex players, and terrible pundits/analysts continue to fail to see or mention is the fact that Jose adapts his tactics based on who he has in the squad to work with. They’re missing a key piece which is the players in the squad dictate how we are set up. Even Pep couldn’t play the way he wants to play without his type of players. So, what does Jose do? He changes how his team plays to give his team the best chance for a result.
And lets be honest, the only other successful manager that could adapt and change was Ferguson.
Even Wenger and his 20 odd years, really played the same football all the way and got less successful without the players to do it for him.

Love what we're doing under Jose but it's too early in the season to be making some of the revisionist statements I see(not even so much here, social media etc). "I'd rather play like this and win trophies than play like we did under Poch and win nothing" ... As much as I've enjoyed this season we could conceivably finish outside the top four and win nothing. The season is long, league position after 10 games does not completely justify a playing style over 38.

I'm pretty sure no team has taken as many points in the PL as we have in 2020
That's the bar raised from previous, when we were averaging around about 1 point per game for a worryingly long time.

I'm pretty sure no team has taken as many points in the PL as we have in 2020
That's the bar raised from previous, when we were averaging around about 1 point per game for a worryingly long time.

We are 5th on the 2020 table.

Below Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I appreciate the job Mourinho is doing and the defensive shape we're adopting protects deficiencies at CB .. but if I were a fan of United, City, Chelsea or Liverpool I'd have watched our last 5 PL games and seen no big reason to fear a title charge from us (as well as we've done points-wise) (Hides behind couch)

Where did you find that?
I heard a commentator say during the City match that it was Spurs and Southampton that had taken the most points this year and they lost the other day?

Maybe it was since "project restart"
There's no way have Liverpool taken more points than us since then.

Where did you find that?
I heard a commentator say during the City match that it was Spurs and Southampton that had taken the most points this year and they lost the other day?

Where did you find that?

I believe they were referring to since Jose got the job?

Could be wrong but seems more likely.

I'm much more open to Mourinho then I was at the time of the hire. I didn't think he was a bad coach as much as thought it just wouldn't work out, and that a League Cup wasn't enough to burn the club down for.

He's done a good job of implementing his system and has improved our defense. Our offense can be lethal on the right day and he's shown signs of willingness to change the team to take advantage of the talent we have up front. He's made very astute signings during the two windows he's been here.

But Mourinho is judged on one thing - trophies. We had a lot of great wins under Poch, got to multiple cup finals and semi-finals, played great football and competed with the best teams in the world. Poch may not have won matches the same way as Mourinho, but he certainly won his fair share of big games.

If Mourinho wins a big one then obviously it was all worth it, but don't fault me for waiting for it to happen before I start congratulating everyone on a job well done. The signs are there, let's hope he finishes the job.

Back
Top Bottom