Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why do the Spurs players, especially Kane, talk so much about Poch in interviews?
Infact, why do they do so many interviews?
Normally, the stories about how great the manager is, come out after the team has won trophies and the players are retired.
Anyone else find this a bit odd?!

Why do the Spurs players, especially Kane, talk so much about Poch in interviews?
Normally, the stories about how great the manager is, come out after the team has won trophies and the players are retired.
Not really. All the big clubs have this kind of stuff, and the press need some kind of bullshit content to throw up on their websites, since intelligent coverage doesn't have a market.

I'm more concerned with Kane's apparent obsession with 'Murrican Football-Gridiron!

I think the club's media arm are sewing the seeds for the season after next, where he's the poster boy for the Duel use of the new stadium... he's just happy to go along with it I guess!!

Seriously what do you expect. Perhaps the norm for a player to say is "we were really good today despite the shit manager and his crap tactics". Think about it !!

Here's what you are forgetting:

- Pochettino didn't disrupt our season with his own court cases for tax evasion
- Pochettino didn't refuse to sign a contract because he wanted an international job, then tell everyone how he would be the best for it, then start asking Brendan Rodgers to be his assistant for his new job he'd not been offered, then write newspaper columns about what he'd do in this new job he'd not been offered
- Pochettino didn't then demand a new contract after the "new job he'd not been offered" wasn't offered
- Pochettino didn't then unsettle the players by saying they'd all leave if he didn't get a new contract
- Pochettino didn't also slag off the board for having a contract that had a release clause after all the support they'd given him regarding the above
- Pochettino also didn't spend most nights as a Pundit/Columnist whilst all this was going on

and more importantly, Pochettino didn't miss out on CL football which, in turn, caused a chain of events that potentially lead to us losing Bale.

Don't get me wrong, I like Harry, but to say that Pochettino is in any way at fault for last season in the same way that Harry was in 2012 is ridiculous.

If you think Poch has no personality, you need to put the effort in. Plenty of videos about. Just because he's not hanging out the side of a Range Rover every 5 mins doesn't mean he has no personality.

Look, it wasn't me that started this conversation, I was just defending Redknapp because in my mind that team was the most entertaining the prem had ever seen. I don't compare Redknapp with Poch, because the sides are very different, and Redknapp was what we needed then. Redkanapp had plenty of flaws, especially the way he treated away games so differently to home games.

My gripe is with everyone who thinks Poch is a God. I accept that he hasn't done a bad job, but at the same time I don't think he has done brilliant one either. As you were so keen to list Harry's faults, I thought I would list Poch's

1) His English is still bloody awful, and I can't see how any player can be properly motivated by someone who speaks pigeon English.
2) He is almost expressionless and appears to have the personality of a coconut.
3) On the whole his signings have been dreadful
4) He still hasn't worked out how to breakdown stubborn teams
5) I blame him whole heartedly for the last game of last season. One of the most embarrassing days of any Spurs supporter in history.
6) Argentina attempted to take the Falklands

Look, it wasn't me that started this conversation, I was just defending Redknapp because in my mind that team was the most entertaining the prem had ever seen. I don't compare Redknapp with Poch, because the sides are very different, and Redknapp was what we needed then. Redkanapp had plenty of flaws, especially the way he treated away games so differently to home games.

My gripe is with everyone who thinks Poch is a God. I accept that he hasn't done a bad job, but at the same time I don't think he has done brilliant one either. As you were so keen to list Harry's faults, I thought I would list Poch's

1) His English is still bloody awful, and I can't see how any player can be properly motivated by someone who speaks pigeon English.
2) He is almost expressionless and appears to have the personality of a coconut.
5) I blame him whole heartedly for the last game of last season. One of the most embarrassing days of any Spurs supporter in history.

1) so just because you think his English isn't great the players cannot get motivated? Strangely all the players seem to speak very highly of him.
2) it's his media persona, he doesn't give anything away and why should he?
3) Are you sure they are Poch's signings? He wants certain types of players and the ones that fit the profile are sought. Wanyama is a success, so is Toby, so is Dier, Davies and Trippier have been solid as back ups.
4) Strangely we just beat a very stubborn defensive team.
5) We'd already met our objective of getting CL, of course there may have been a drop off in performance, it pretty much happened after the Chelsea match.
6) It is in their waters.....

1) Pathetic.
2) Try to read just one account of him by a former player and actually watch a press conference.
3 Alderweireld, Alli, Wanyama have all been 3 of the best signings by any team in the last 2 seasons.
4) We're much better at this than under Redknapp. Much more consistent.
5) I agree
6) And Thatcher mugged off that quasi-fascist regime, which is one good thing she did, but what's the point?

For those, see this:

Yet we're still up there with the leaders. He can still improve, yet look how good we've been.

I can think of at half a dozen games in just the season before he came that were more embarrassing.

Can't speak English = Can't motivate the players?

You fucking kidding me? Half our team are foreign internationals, and the other half are England internationals that have served underneath and played alongside foreign players and coaches their entire careers.

Anytime this garbage comes up in the media (Merson!) or from fans it's either one of two things. 1) Complete ignorance, or 2) Substituted bias.

Ok, this is pretty extreme but
[SNIP]
lacTnHf.gif

Can't speak English = Can't motivate the players?

You fucking kidding me? Half our team are foreign internationals, and the other half are England internationals that have served underneath and played alongside foreign players and coaches their entire careers.

Anytime this garbage comes up in the media (Merson!) or from fans it's either one of two things. 1) Complete ignorance, or 2) Substituted bias.

I tend to think that actions speak louder than words.

Getting involved with the lads, working as hard as you want them to work, and smashing a penalty in will surely motivate them more than simply hanging around in a gaggle twitching

Well, apart from finishing third in a two horse race, and then embarrassing themselves in the CL, the team haven't actually done anything yet. Let's sit back and wait, because the truth is that we are still all guessing

Mauricio Pochettino builds solid base to help Spurs shake flimsy reputation

Hope nobody is in any hurry for those important trophies...
“A few trophies, that would be perfect,” he said of medium-term plans. “But we can’t get ahead of ourselves. We need to be patient. We need time to try to create a strong team, a strong club, a strong mentality. A winning mentality, finish the new stadium. At that point we will be ready to fight like now but with more tools and to be one of the best teams in the world.”

Well, apart from finishing third in a two horse race, and then embarrassing themselves in the CL, the team haven't actually done anything yet.

Is that kind of moronic crap that makes you look like a Woolwich fan.

"finishing third in a two horse race"

If you believe that, you're a bell end

Mauricio Pochettino builds solid base to help Spurs shake flimsy reputation

Hope nobody is in any hurry for those important trophies...
“A few trophies, that would be perfect,” he said of medium-term plans. “But we can’t get ahead of ourselves. We need to be patient. We need time to try to create a strong team, a strong club, a strong mentality. A winning mentality, finish the new stadium. At that point we will be ready to fight like now but with more tools and to be one of the best teams in the world.”

I get the overall narrative of that article - but even in ultimate "Spursy" mode under Redknapp and AVB we finished above Liverpool.

It took UBER "Spursy" Tim Sherwood and them having Luis Suarez to get them above us once.........would suggest the underlying consistency is with us not them.

Is that kind of moronic crap that makes you look like a Woolwich fan.

"finishing third in a two horse race"

If you believe that, you're a bell end

So you don't think we should have finished 2nd last year, when all we had to do was draw with Newcastle, and you call ME a bell end, REALLY ?

So you don't think we should have finished 2nd last year, when all we had to do was draw with Newcastle, and you call ME a bell end, REALLY ?

No, I think we probably should have finished 5th as per normal. But let's ignore our highest even Premier League finish and lament that we didn't finish runner up in a title race we were never in.

Fucking two horse race - you sound like the morons on Twitter that support any team except spurs.

Back
Top Bottom