Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Look, it wasn't me that started this conversation, I was just defending Redknapp because in my mind that team was the most entertaining the prem had ever seen. I don't compare Redknapp with Poch, because the sides are very different, and Redknapp was what we needed then. Redkanapp had plenty of flaws, especially the way he treated away games so differently to home games.

My gripe is with everyone who thinks Poch is a God. I accept that he hasn't done a bad job, but at the same time I don't think he has done brilliant one either. As you were so keen to list Harry's faults, I thought I would list Poch's

1) His English is still bloody awful, and I can't see how any player can be properly motivated by someone who speaks pigeon English.
2) He is almost expressionless and appears to have the personality of a coconut.
3) On the whole his signings have been dreadful
4) He still hasn't worked out how to breakdown stubborn teams
5) I blame him whole heartedly for the last game of last season. One of the most embarrassing days of any Spurs supporter in history.
6) Argentina attempted to take the Falklands

I wish I read this on Tuesday just to bin your ignorant ass. Fuck off out of here.

The recent quotes from Poch about being given the backing to manage Spurs long term are music to my ears.

I have no doubt if he stays for the next few years he will win things and make us great again.

He could very well be our Alex Ferguson and he seems to have the desire to leave that type of lasting legacy at the club. He's fully invest in making us "one of the best teams in Europe" and I can't remember any manager in my lifetime that has talked in that way or made me believe that he can do it!

Love the guy and hope he's with us for many many years to come!

Tiny Tim spent all his time as manager with us telling everyone who would listen that we cannot compete with the top 4. Shows how limited he is and that despite many years in our set-up that he did not have a long-term vision or plan, let alone the chops to make tactical decisions on match-days. Poch has all those things.

Tactically that was as bad as I've seen from Pochettino. Why we played a high-line against Liverpool I'll never understand. And to make matters worse we didn't even press well, allowing them so much time to pick out a pass to Mane and their other attackers. Also he waited far too long with the subs. At least against City he changed things up, he didn't do that yesterday. Very poor from our manager, needs to learn from this. Can't go to Anfield with such a naive game-plan.

Tactically that was as bad as I've seen from Pochettino. Why we played a high-line against Liverpool I'll never understand. And to make matters worse we didn't even press well, allowing them so much time to pick out a pass to Mane and their other attackers. Also he waited far too long with the subs. At least against City he changed things up, he didn't do that yesterday. Very poor from our manager, needs to learn from this. Can't go to Anfield with such a naive game-plan.

Yeah, Klopp made specific tactical changes to stop us playing, like Lallana marking Dembele - Poch didn't make any adjustments for them.

He's still learning, and I think (hope) at some point in the future he becomes a bit more pragmatic / cynical. Not full on Jose Mourinho style cynical, but at least spot the games where it's okay to play for a draw.....yesterday was one of them. Liverpool, if you play like we did, are impossible to beat - Firminho suckers in your centre backs and the wide players make runs inside the fullbacks, you literally end up marking none of their front three. If you defend your penalty area deep and force them to attack wide they've got nothing to break you down.

I think Poch has less tactical flexibility whilst two starting defenders, Jan and Rose, are out. He can only achieve so much with a limited squad against the other top 5 sides.
You lose a big attacking threat with Rose out so I understand why Poch may have set us up defensively, especially as Liverpool hadn't shown any form in their previous 10 games.
Success has as much to do with squad depth as managerial talent unfortunately. I blame the senior players for this loss. I think it's time one or two of them started demonstrating some leadership. We miss an Edgar Davids.

I think Poch has less tactical flexibility whilst two starting defenders, Jan and Rose, are out. He can only achieve so much with a limited squad against the other top 5 sides.
You lose a big attacking threat with Rose out so I understand why Poch may have set us up defensively, especially as Liverpool hadn't shown any form in their previous 10 games.Success has as much to do with squad depth as managerial talent unfortunately. I blame the senior players for this loss.

Except Poch didn't set us up defensively at all. We were playing a high-line against Liverpool! Son was given freedom to roam upfront without having to track back. I wish he actually had set us up defensively, then we might still have gotten something out of this game.

Yep, and my biggest worry is from his post-match press conference yesterday, go to 3 mins 15 in:

Journalist: "Do you think, Mauricio, that you played a little bit too high? There seemed to be a lot of space in behind for Mane..."

Poch: "No no, if you watch/analyse the goals I think it's not about... sometimes we play too deep. *laughs* And we weren't compact, and aggressive, and I think for me it is the opposite".

Well fuck. Really? Doesn't pass the eye test to me, and the best I can think is that this would only have been the case were Rose in the team. He even looks a little baffled that the journalist would think this.
It's the only thing that worries me - seemingly having a high-press opposition 'blind spot'.

Sometimes I think Poch could do with an assistant appointed by the club. I get that he wants his own people, but sometimes you're going to need someone who sees things from a different perspective and is not afraid to say so when he disagrees with certain stuff.

Yep, and my biggest worry is from his post-match press conference yesterday, go to 3 mins 15 in:

Journalist: "Do you think, Mauricio, that you played a little bit too high? There seemed to be a lot of space in behind for Mane..."

Poch: "No no, if you watch/analyse the goals I think it's not about... sometimes we play too deep. *laughs* And we weren't compact, and aggressive, and I think for me it is the opposite".

Well fuck. Really? Doesn't pass the eye test to me, and the best I can think is that this would only have been the case were Rose in the team. He even looks a little baffled that the journalist would think this.
It's the only thing that worries me - seemingly having a high-press opposition 'blind spot'.

Its true, Mane didnt exactly get behind the line, Dier just fucking melted and gave the ball away for the first

Its true, Mane didnt exactly get behind the line, Dier just fucking melted and gave the ball away for the first
There were numerous times that Davies was getting exposed by the high line though. It was a minor miracle that we only conceded two in the first half.

And don't forget that our defence was that much more likely to melt (as with Dier and that goal) when they're being overwhelmed by Liverpool's attack.

Yeah, Klopp made specific tactical changes to stop us playing, like Lallana marking Dembele - Poch didn't make any adjustments for them.

I don't think changing tactics would have made a big difference this night. The players just had a bad day. It happens. Some mistakes were forced, yes, but there were also a lot of unforced or just dumb individual mistakes you just can not blame Poch for. I am sure Pochs gameplan was not shit your pants and give the ball away every time a Liverpool player looks at you. After Liverpools bad start into the year many expected Tottenham to beat Liverpool. It seems they could not cope with these expectations. It is a young team and they have to get used to deal with pressure. It does not happen over night.

Sometimes I think Poch could do with an assistant appointed by the club. I get that he wants his own people, but sometimes you're going to need someone who sees things from a different perspective and is not afraid to say so when he disagrees with certain stuff.

:sherwoodlol:

I trust Pochettino and Jesus Perez to get it right. Why the club would appoint someone else to advise takes away our faith in their abilities.

Result was shit and a lot us could see it coming, hopefully it's another hard lesson for the coaching staff and players to learn from. A full fit squad would have more likely seen a different result. We all know how dangerous the dippers are and they always turn up for the big games. They'll go back to losing against the likes of Stoke and Crystal Palace soon.

I don't think changing tactics would have made a big difference this night. The players just had a bad day. It happens. Some mistakes were forced, yes, but there were also a lot of unforced or just dumb individual mistakes you just can not blame Poch for. I am sure Pochs gameplan was not shit your pants and give the ball away every time a Liverpool player looks at you. After Liverpools bad start into the year many expected Tottenham to beat Liverpool. It seems they could not cope with these expectations. It is a young team and they have to get used to deal with pressure. It does not happen over night.

Well he only needed to look at Liverpool' last few games for a clue as to how to play;
- 5 at the back.
- 2 holding midfielders.
- Sit deep, just defend the penalty area.
- Make their only option to attack the sides of the penalty area, as they haven't got anyone that can score from crosses.
- When you get the ball play long direct passes into the channels.

I know the above works against them, as I've seen it happen 3 or 4 times already since Christmas.

Cue, Pochettino to PSG stories from now on....

‘Special’ PSG are my team, says Spurs boss Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino has revealed that Paris Saint-Germain are “my team” after a spell there during his playing career.

The Argentinian captained the PSG side during a spell there between 2001 and 2003 where he failed to win any trophies.

Pochettino admits he still watches a lot of Ligue 1 football and pays close attention to how PSG are doing each weekend.

“I try to watch all I can. And of course, PSG,” he told SFR Sport. “My team is PSG — I love PSG. I spent nearly three years there.

“I spent some time, six months, with Bordeaux too but I was captain at PSG and that will always be special for me.”

When asked who he wants to see come out on top when PSG and Barcelona meet in their Champions League clash next week, Pochettino replied: “Of course, PSG!

“It will be a good game. Maybe I would like to go to Paris to watch the game — it will be a fantastic game.”

When asked who he wants to see come out on top when PSG and Barcelona meet in their Champions League clash next week, Pochettino replied: “Of course, PSG!

That's kind of the key part of this - they've asked him if he would prefer one of his former teams or the cross city rivals of his main former team to win.......he already said a few weeks ago that he'd never manage Barca because Espanyol is in his blood.

That's kind of the key part of this - they've asked him if he would prefer one of his former teams or the cross city rivals of his main former team to win.......he already said a few weeks ago that he'd never manage Barca because Espanyol is in his blood.

You could see the media spinning that story, Poch to PSG come and get me plea.

Back
Top Bottom