Monaco away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What stood out last year (& against City this year) is we press, that press starts with our forwards and then midfield. A massive part of our defensive solidity is because we press from the front. We are simply not doing this. By not pressing our back four is under more pressure. We also need the ball to at least stick to our AM's they are loosing possession of the ball almost at will, it is not competed for. So we are not counter-pressing too. This is where we are shit and have been all season. Highlighted in today's performance clear for all to see, I sorry if you can't see this.
This.

And it makes me worried about the players fitness that we don't seem to be capable of doing it at the moment, whether because of injuries, the Euros, playing two big games a week, Poch's training or a combination of those things.

Honestly, the investing wasn't the problem this summer, the recruiting was. Get a DoF in, I'm becoming increasingly reluctant to trust Poch with money
Yea, just what we need after a period of change. A footballing revamp just as one has been completed and an enforced power struggle.

Baldini back!

ksbp.gif

What stood out last year (& against City this year) is we press, that press starts with our forwards and then midfield. A massive part of our defensive solidity is because we press from the front. We are simply not doing this. By not pressing our back four is under more pressure. We also need the ball to at least stick to our AM's they are loosing possession of the ball almost at will, it is not competed for. So we are not counter-pressing too. This is where we are shit and have been all season. Highlighted in today's performance clear for all to see, I sorry if you can't see this.
One word...

Erik Lamela.

Call me stupid, i do not get any of this negative talk. LC are crap in the PL but turn it on for the CL. We seem to be the opposite, it happens - as good/bad home/away form for some teams. We have a very good team, good understanding and will deliver. We only lost 2-1 because we do have some cohesion, the dark days we would have collapsed . We have injuries which have unsettled us a little and its not too long before they all return. I really am liking what Im seeing with Poch and the way we set ourselves up. We have a solid base and are getting better regardless of the negativity on here. Just watch the PL football and see for your selves,

Some people will complain after every game regardless how we play and the result and when it goes finally goes wrong they say "I told you so"? Bollocks ! Bollocks! and double Bollocks!!!!!!.

This.

And it makes me worried about the players fitness that we don't seem to be capable of doing it at the moment, whether because of injuries, the Euros, playing two big games a week, Poch's training or a combination of those things.
It does look like our playing style has changed a bit, not just last night but this season. We're not pressing so high or as much as a team. I have wondered if this is a fitness / tiredness issue, but we look less effective because of it.

Last night was a change too far I think, Wimmer and Dier in the back was always going to be risky against a good attacking side like Monaco. Dier is struggling back there and that makes it hard for Wimmer to come in, last season alongside Toby he looked fine. Its pretty clear Poch doesn't think we can make a serious challenge on two fronts and has prioritised the league. If we beat Chelsea Saturday, I for one will be happy to forget about last night.

Utterly disappointed with our Champions League exit and the display, I think their second goal sums up our concentration level last night (came right after the penalty). After all, we've had three players at the back that barely played last season/this season together, a young lad in the middle of the park (in my opinion Winks is not ready yet for Champions League football) and two struggling players lacking match sharpness (Kane and Dembele). Of course it was going to turn out bad. I can understand why Pochettino decided to rest a few first team players, considering our injuries and the match against Chavs. Hopefully now we're out of Europe (I really hope we're not gonna bother much with Europa League) we can pick up the form and fight for another top four finish or for the title. I think people underestimate the fact that it was Pochettino's managerial debut in the CL and also our young team's debut. Look at Dortmund a few seasons back ago, they struggled the season before they played the Champions League final if I remember correctly.
Just keep the faith. COYS!

It does look like our playing style has changed a bit, not just last night but this season. We're not pressing so high or as much as a team. I have wondered if this is a fitness / tiredness issue, but we look less effective because of it.

Last night was a change too far I think, Wimmer and Dier in the back was always going to be risky against a good attacking side like Monaco. Dier is struggling back there and that makes it hard for Wimmer to come in, last season alongside Toby he looked fine. Its pretty clear Poch doesn't think we can make a serious challenge on two fronts and has prioritised the league. If we beat Chelsea Saturday, I for one will be happy to forget about last night.
Very difficult to challenge on two fronts. Ultimately we need to have a squad that's capable of doing this. There's little point playing the "first eleven" in every game because it isn't sustainable. We need to accept we will play our squad players in important games- when better players are fit- sometimes. All the top sides do it.

The problem is, it's only worth prioritising the league if we think we can win it. Otherwise (as has been discussed ad infinitum) it just becomes a case of "sacrificing the CL in order to be in the CL so we can sacrifice it again etc". Not that I think Poch necessarily made the wrong calls; I don't know what we should have done. We could yet be in the title race, and we probably had/have more chance to win that than the CL.

If we're out of the title race in the new year, I'd like to see us play a full strength team in the FA Cup (and/or the EL) rather than prioritise top four.

This.

It's very hard to speculate why a team does or doesn't. But more than anything it is an attitude. Professional footballers are fit, they train/recover every day of their lives. Their percentages of performance differences are small, the marginal gains that when accumulated make a significant difference e.g. If each player is just 1% fitter than their opponent then that equates to 11% better than the other mob for the team as a whole.

The reason why a lot is made of our training regime is to have the players believe that they have trained harder than their opponents, they may well be 1% fitter because of their training regime (but what's to say your opponent isn't just as fit?) but you can add another 1% if the players truly believe they are fitter (even if they are not). Again these are marginal gains that are sort by all professional spots people but the greatest capacity for improved performance is in the mind. The double sessions we hear about do not happen as often as we are led to believe, Poch has spoken many times about recovery after games, and how this impacts what time he has on the training pitch, it means they are not training as they are recovering (no single sessions, let alone double sessions).

To press so effectively, as last year, requires belief. Not just belief that when one goes, everyone else goes but belief that when your legs are burning with lactic acid and are screaming for you to stop, that you can still overcome that urge to stop and keep going. To push through the pain. (I believe this is what happened post WBA game, no athlete gives their all to finish 2nd, as much as us fans wanted to finish 2nd (or at the very least it only takes a few to not believe for it not to work).

I am waffling here, but basically for the want of any actual evidence I think we are not pressing because our collective belief is simply not there. I can't think of another reason why we would not look to do what we excelled at last season. Despite the pain they would have felt in many games last year, there was no hiding the high they were on having just won a game, enforcing that the pain they felt was worth it.

Still maintain that was the worst season i've ever witnessed as a Spurs fan..

You must be quite youngish Southstand Billy?

After going through Terry Venables first season and half in charge, Peter Shreeves second coming, Ossie Ardiles (first league point in 1994 was achieved on 2 March!), Gerry Francis season, Christian Gross, The record of consecutive 0-0's under George Graham and the second coming of David Pleat . Finishing 6th under AVB/Sherwood would have given you a serious hard on!

Those older than me will also point out Gooner Terry Neill's era!

You must be quite youngish Southstand Billy?

After going through Terry Venables first season and half in charge, Peter Shreeves second coming, Ossie Ardiles (first league point in 1994 was achieved on 2 March!), Gerry Francis season, Christian Gross, The record of consecutive 0-0's under George Graham and the second coming of David Pleat . Finishing 6th under AVB/Sherwood would have given you a serious hard on!

Those older than me will also point out Gooner Terry Neill's era!

Haha I wish..

I have seen some horror seasons including Christian Gross.. I was in Sheffield when we got spanked 6-0 in the early 90's plus many more.
The difference between those years an recent is - the expectations were nowhere near as high.. We were a mid table side most of the time so a win was a bonus..We were always a good cup side.
Now we are an established top4 side we are expected to win a damn sight more.
That season under AVB was the least enjoyable I have encountered.
I remember dreading going to games when Man City were in town or Liverpool, knowing we would get spanked.
Losing 3 times to West Ham was as unacceptable as possibly could be..
I hated going that season and that is wrong..That's why I get defensive when I hear people moaning during every game, people have such short memories.

Back
Top Bottom