Monaco away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't really understand the lloris comment. How can there be no point? It kept us in the game throughout when we should have been thrashed. We got the lifeline but were stupid and not focused. Should he just stand there and let them in? Agree with the rest though. Don't understand our attitude in this tournament. Our EPL games have not been much better since the city win.

Ah... I didn't properly elaborate... I meant it was more of a 'wasted' perfirmance rather than pointless...

When the keeper saves a Penalty and makes several other 'Worldies' you usually expect that to be rewarded with AT LEAST a draw (which may still not have been enough. . but at least keeps the interest going until the last game)

I think what I'm alluding to is that whenever an OPPOSING GK puts in THAT kind of performance, WE tend to write it off as "one of those games... we could play til midnight and nor score against them" etc etc...

...but as it was, a(nother) Worldie Lloris performance in this competirion yet again didn't get the result it deserved!

Ah... I didn't properly elaborate... I meant it was more of a 'wasted' perfirmance rather than pointless...

When the keeper saves a Penalty and makes several other 'Worldies' you usually expect that to be rewarded with AT LEAST a draw (which may still not have been enough. . but at least keeps the interest going until the last game)

I think what I'm alluding to is that whenever an OPPOSING GK puts in THAT kind of performance, WE tend to write it off as "one of those games... we could play til midnight and nor score against them" etc etc...

...but as it was, a(nother) Worldie Lloris performance in this competirion yet again didn't get the result it deserved!

I know what you mean, when we Conceded the pen I thought it was night over, then lloris saved it and I thought maybe the footballing gods were on our side for once! I should have known better tho!
I guess this isn't how the spammers felt after the Kane goals the weekend!

I think our summer business was good, except for spunking £30M on Sissoko, which could have been spent on someone much, much, much better.
Squad wise it was good, but not in terms of improving the first 11. I guess wanyama is an upgrade on a tired & out of form dier (who will come good again).
Even with injuries & chelsea coming up, poch didn't start any of the newbies.

I like the wanyama signing & think janssen will turn in to a handy back up for kane.
George shows glimpses of potential when he comes on.
But I don't expect janssen, george or sissoko to become regulars in the 1st 11.

Last edited:

...but as it was, a(nother) Worldie Lloris performance in this competition yet again didn't get the result it deserved!

All it does is put Lloris back in the shop window and add to the impending feeling that if he wants to turn those type of performances into winners medals he'll have to do it somewhere else.

FUCK... FUCK.... I'M TURNING INTO ONE OF THEM!!!

Clap, clap, clap, clap. Find a happy place.

All it does is put Lloris back in the shop window and add to the impending feeling that if he wants to turn those type of performances into winners medals he'll have to do it somewhere else.

FUCK... FUCK.... I'M TURNING INTO ONE OF THEM!!!

Clap, clap, clap, clap. Find a happy place.

Na. I felt exactly the same way last night. The way the rest of our team played, we don't deserve a player of Hugo's quality. And while it would be cool for him to stay, I feel like it's in his best interest to find a new club.

Sorry this is bollocks. A one off and I would agree with you. But we have been consistently bad throughout the competition and lukewarm in the the league for the best part of two months. Recognising that is not melting as it's asking if there's a problem. Not every expression of concern is a "melt".

Just reread through this thread and the West Ham thread and you may change your mind as you're usually a rational poster!
Some of the melting has been ridiculous
Far more than just being concerned!
On the thread last night someone said that they were "dreading" the Chavs game!
FFS
:pocheyes:

I agree with you that our performances in the CL have been poor and I've been disappointed too
But
We have a young inexperienced side and have had a few key injuries, Toby, Harry etc and a relatively inexperienced coach

But we are 5th in the league, unbeaten and only 4 points off the top which could well be reduced to 1 after Saturday!

I'm happy with that as I recognise that we still aren't firing on all cylinders yet
But our team spirit is 2nd to none in the PL and am confident of a top 4 finish

I'm not accusing anyone in particular of melting but if the cap fits?

Fucking football...
The ONLY silver lining to laSt seasons' spontaneous combustion was that AT LEAST we'd reached THE HOLY GRAIL of the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE...
ahhh... the Music, the ANTHEM... the ball boys waving that black and white starry football flag...
THE CUP THAT EVERY CLUB PLAYS FOOTBALL FOR... no it ain't, that's the F.A Cup... just ask Chas'n'Dave!

Fucking C H A M P I O N $ LEAGUE can go fuck itself... It's an overrated closed shop money machine anywway. ...
FUCK!

And, personally speaking, I'd sooner win the Premier League so that shd take priority

Fucking football...
The ONLY silver lining to laSt seasons' spontaneous combustion was that AT LEAST we'd reached THE HOLY GRAIL of the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE...
ahhh... the Music, the ANTHEM... the ball boys waving that black and white starry football flag...
THE CUP THAT EVERY CLUB PLAYS FOOTBALL FOR... no it ain't, that's the F.A Cup... just ask Chas'n'Dave!

Fucking C H A M P I O N $ LEAGUE can go fuck itself... It's an overrated closed shop money machine anywway. ...
FUCK!
The_Fox_and_the_Grapes.jpg

Won a penalty.

He also made the pass that put Son clean through on goal from which he shd have scored

Different game then and don't forget that cunt who stamped on Harry right in front of that cunt of a ref should have had a straight red!
Again a different game after that!

But on the night we were the poorer team
Can't argue with that

Was this not a gutless abject thrashing?

Even in those periods there was games where we won. 1 win in 2 months-3 months now, that's far less than the AVB/Sherwood era.

We'd get smashed 5-1 by Liverpool, sure, but at least there'd be a win dotted around there.

And don't forget the six goal humiliation at Man City

That era was awful so thank god for Poch

Just reread through this thread and the West Ham thread and you may change your mind as you're usually a rational poster!
Some of the melting has been ridiculous
Far more than just being concerned!
On the thread last night someone said that they were "dreading" the Chavs game!
FFS
:pocheyes:

I agree with you that our performances in the CL have been poor and I've been disappointed too
But
We have a young inexperienced side and have had a few key injuries, Toby, Harry etc and a relatively inexperienced coach

But we are 5th in the league, unbeaten and only 4 points off the top which could well be reduced to 1 after Saturday!

I'm happy with that as I recognise that we still aren't firing on all cylinders yet
But our team spirit is 2nd to none in the PL and am confident of a top 4 finish

I'm not accusing anyone in particular of melting but if the cap fits?
We are in with a big show in the PL and maybe bowing out of the CL will be a blessing in disguise.

We look like the 2014/2015,Spurs in almost every match lately, less the City game.
Poor passing accuracy in the final third and not closing down on the ball.
Last year we were the muggers, gaining possession of the ball with physical, near fouling type play. This season were on the other end of that beating stick.

No Toby, no Verts = defense opened like a can of peaches. Worst I've seen all year.

Thought Trippier was a bright spot, delivering some sweet crosses. The second Monaco goal wasn't his fault. The central attacker was ignored and he had to pinch in to cover, with no outside midfield help.

The rest of the team was shit, with the exception of that tall French guy in goal. What was was his name? God?

:llorishowudoin:

And don't forget the six goal humiliation at Man City

That era was awful so thank god for Poch

Dark days indeed.

Let's not be comparing us under Poch to last season AVB / Sherwood

Yes our current run of form is less than desirable but:

2013-14

Tottenham Hotspur 0 – 3 West Ham United
Manchester City 6 – 0 Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur
0 – 5 Liverpool
Tottenham Hotspur 1 – 5 Manchester City
Chelsea 4 – 0 Tottenham Hotspur
Liverpool 4 – 0 Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham United 2 – 0 Tottenham Hotspur

c3af37219411d302547f63f482570ba37a3ff1d28e2afea77797743c6b94610d_large

It's said that the reason we splashed so much was because Poch wanted him. Otherwise how to you explain the un-Levy like value of the deal?

I think perhaps Poch is simply finding out the working the squad super hard in training is not all there is to playing at the highest level. *shrug*
The 'squad' is not good enough, yet.
We have 11 players who on their day are a great team. They can't play every single game- like some were crying out for, you'll get fatigue and injuries -like a lot on here blame Poch's training for...so he's damned if he runs them into the ground and cunted when he doesn't.
Just open up the eyes and be objective. CCV, Winks, Onomah, Nkoudou, Janssen, Wimmer, Trippier and even Dele (despite people thinking a kid with one season under his belt has made it) are not yet good enough. They are not yet even proven experienced PL players.
Nothing to do with Poch not handling big squads or training them too hard.
I have said many times he was brought here to do a job that was to use the academy and build squad for the future. On a limited wage bill and finances due to the obvious. Similar to southampton.
It's ok saying 'if we can spend £30m on this player, then why not..' yet the the player has to accept our wage structure and want to come here.
I think a lot of people got carried away and thought our squad was the bollocks and we were going to wipe the floor with Bayer, Moncaco and CSKA whilst challenging for the title.
It's a work in progress.
I think there are 3 players who need to go from our team and be replaced. They are 3 of our senior players.
The rest I think we can build on.

Last edited:
One thing this CL campaign has shown is we have a massive fuck off fan base and are Londons biggest and best club. It's about time we started to act like one by investing in the squad sufficiently to make an impact in Europe's top competition
Honestly, the investing wasn't the problem this summer, the recruiting was. Get a DoF in, I'm becoming increasingly reluctant to trust Poch with money

Dark days indeed.

2013-14

Tottenham Hotspur
0 – 5 Liverpool

Gotta be the first to say it......
Poch out!! Levy out!!! Fuck the new stadium!! if the spammers get relegated we could maybe get a good deal for the Olympic stadium?? Spend the cash we save on the new stadium on some awesome players to help us in the championship.......
:adethumbup:

Dark days indeed.

2013-14

Tottenham Hotspur
0 – 5 Liverpool

Still maintain that was the worst season i've ever witnessed as a Spurs fan..

Back
Top Bottom