Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think he will succeed here and his style doesn't suit us BUT I thought he was our best player tonight and I also think he got himself into good positions but the final ball wasn't there.

Anyone else get the suspicion he's been told by MoPo to specifically play with back to goal to bring more into play. Watch some of his goals from last season and he was a lot more dynamic in terms of running at defence, not holding play up
Quite possibly although time and again last night he was gesturing for the through ball while he was on the last man's shoulder, only to be missed or for the pass to be a bad one

Agreed

Onomah and N'koudou kept making the wrong decisions all game. Feeding off scraps

Yep. Ridiculous that people assume the issue is with him, rather than his supply. As if Kane always creates every goal he scores from absolutely nothing. Which I know does happen on occasion, but you know what I mean.

Feeding off of scraps but also finds himself in space where he's not even able to carve out a decent chance. Needs to be more direct rather than ending up on the left or the right handside of goal.

The team is struggling badly for goals. This chap is paid to score those needed goals. But he is not scoring goals, 2 pens aside, so I'd hope someone in the management team give him a kick up the arse rather than a pat on the back.

At this level It's no good waiting for the moment or finding a reason why it's not happening. He has a responsibility to make it happen. He works hard, but clearly needs to work that bit harder. He's young, but that's no excuse to waste opportunities because you might get better in the future, sadly the future is not guaranteed. Life does not work that way.

0 goals from open play is frankly rubbish. That's not to say the guy is a rubbish player. He's is not. He's a very gifted player. But he can't hide from an awful record to date and any excuses don't really solve the problem. I personally can't make a defence of him due to his hold up play or assists either. I like him, but at this level he's simply not been good enough yet and harsh as it sounds he was bought to pay at this level NOW.

Yup he's missed chances but last night he did little wrong , even tracked back to intercept the ball just outside of our own penalty area.

It'll come

The ones that claim Janssen doesn't get enough service certainly have a point, you often see him in a free position only for our midfielders to take 3/4 touches before passing the ball and by then the opportunity has gone. We also should cross a lot more than we do, N'Koudou in particular was criminal yesterday in that regard. Could have run to the by-line multiple times and put a cross in with his left foot, but instead cut inside to his right every single time.

Having said that, Janssen himself doesn't really set himself up in a position to score either. He is almost always with his back to goal. He should make more runs towards the goal and not just make himself available to hold up the ball. Holding the ball up is useful for the rest of the team, but he himself is not going to score a lot if that is the only thing he does.

Also, regarding the lack of service part, Soldado had the same issue, but we as a team haven't really shown to be able to improve that, Soldado continued to be a failure. Kane and Adebayor scored quite a few goals by using their own skills. Janssen will have to become less one-dimensional. Strikers in the PL have to be able to create goals by themselves nowadays, otherwise it's going to be tricky for him to get goals.

I like him, but at this level he's simply not been good enough yet and harsh as it sounds he was bought to pay at this level NOW.
Was he? He was meant to be back-up to Kane at best, getting a couple of minutes here and there, giving him time to adapt, but with Kane out he had to take responsibility a lot earlier than was anticipated.

However, if as you say he was indeed bought to play at this level NOW, then we've done a poor scouting job, because Janssen just wasn't ready for that. He had one year in the Dutch Micky Mouse League and two years in the even worse Dutch Micky Mouse second division... before that he was a youth player at Feyenoord. Things have gone very fast for him, but this step from a subtop-club from the Netherlands to a top-club in England is absolutely huge. Dembele for instance first left AZ for Fulham before joining us and in his time AZ were actually a better club than they are now.

Guilty of trying too hard at times but that is understandable. Still showed some good moments last night - our AMs just need to get used to his playstyle and where they need to be to run off him.

One thing I did notice was that his starting position when he calls for the ball in behind was almost always offside - got a bit of a case of the Defoes in that respect. Hopefully when he watches the game back he will see that and adjust.

Quite possibly although time and again last night he was gesturing for the through ball while he was on the last man's shoulder, only to be missed or for the pass to be a bad one
Yeah, I was getting increasingly angry at the refusal of midfielders to even attempt throughballs or balls into space for him to attack. Literally every time the opportunity presented itself, our midfielders always chose a safe pass sideways or out wide instead, to be followed by either a poor cross, or a backwards pass.

I think it's impossible to criticize Vincent in that game, based on complete lack of support he was given.

Works hard, looks motivated but for now doesnt suit our style of play, has a very hard time connecting with players around him and (more worryingly) seems to be a bit lost when he does have the ball. Cant yet see a decent PL striker there but lots of the above arguments (crossing, confidence, experience) dont help his evolution

He's getting chances and missing them why cant people admit that?
Which ones? The man had 3 shots last night. And his best chance came from a loose ball as no one tried to pass it to him. His other two shots were a poor cross from a set piece and the penalty Given an average player converts maybe 10% of their shots, if he's only getting 3 shot per game, it's going to take him up to 3-4 full games to score anything. Claims he needs to create more himself are trite if no one will pass the ball to him to let him work with it.

Back
Top Bottom