Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bergkamp was pretty anonymous in his first season here if memory serves.

With regard to the argument about attacking options and feeding the strikers I'm guessing one of the reasons for the meteoric rise of Alli is his willingness make runs to support the striker, he brings a goal threat and is a genuine link between the striker and the midfield. It doesn't always work out for him, but I wonder if in Poch's mind he's leapfrogged the likes of Eriksen and Lamela as the main creative force.

He didn't play against the poo and Jansen struggled for service. Undoubtedly the creative side of our team is still in a work in progress, I'm confident there's more to come.

For me the issue is purely to blame on

1) The team. Countless times he points behind him and no one passes. So many times yesterday there was a counter attack and people played it wide left to GK rather than trying to slip in Jenssen. He makes a large amounts of runs in behind, hence why he's often offside, yet the ball is rarely played to him. Same thing happened to Lamela 2 years ago, the team simply wouldn't give him the ball.

2) Poch. Poch is clearly asking him to be a target man and I think Janssen is getting a bit fed up and angry at the situation. He throws his arms around a lot, whether at the ref or his team mates. Looks frustrated and that's only going to get worse and negatively impact his performances.
He's Dutch, they tend to throw their arms around and complain a lot

Drogba wasn't anything special for two seasons.

Henry's first Woolwich season didn't start great either as he adapted to playing in the PL. I wish some wouldn't be so quick to jump on Janssen back, he's only 22 and finding his way in a new league with a different way of life and culture. We have been lucky signing many players that have transitioned to the faster pace with some players. At times we have had to be a little bit patient with others who once adapted come good. See the likes of Lamela and Sonny. So much expectation on immediacy with players and coaches.

Countless times he points behind him and no one passes.
That was annoying me the other night, you could see he was making a run but he never got the ball in a decent position.

It's not like he's missing loads of chances every game. Hopefully he puts a couple past Leicester tomorrow, I think a lot of the crowd have already warmed to him for his work rate and the effort he puts in - a goal or two to make Ranieri cry would be perfect

Bergkamp was pretty anonymous in his first season here if memory serves.

16 goals in 41 games????

Drogba wasn't anything special for two seasons.

16 goals in 41 games first season
16 goals in 41 games second season

Henry's first Woolwich season didn't start great either as he adapted to playing in the PL. .

26 goals in 46 games.....

efb5431c91d587f5a6bcc998994d86d7.jpg

Come on guys...................

16 goals in 41 games????

16 goals in 41 games first season
16 goals in 41 games second season

What is your point? It's not beyond the realms of possibility Janssen gets a further 14 goals between now and May.

I don't understand why people are actively looking to have a pop at a new signing.

It's pretty pathetic.

What is your point? It's not beyond the realms of possibility Janssen gets a further 14 goals between now and May.

I don't understand why people are actively looking to have a pop at a new signing.

It's pretty pathetic.
Giving an honest opinion on how a player has performed so far is not having a pop

He could score 30 goals this season, he could score 2.

I'm judging him on how he's done so far not how he could do

I find the fact people are comparing him to Henry Bergkamp and Drogba as a bit pathetic to be honest.

If you bothered to read, I said he didn't start great.

Brought in as a replacement for fellow French forward Nicolas Anelka, Henry was immediately moulded into a striker by Wenger, a move that would pay rich dividends in years to come. However, doubts were raised about his ability to adapt to the quick and physical English game when he failed to score in his first eight games. After several difficult months in England, Henry even conceded that he had to "be re-taught everything about the art of striking." These doubts were dispelled when he ended his first season at Woolwich with an impressive goal tally of 26

Still a lot of games to play and Janssen has 2 goals albeit those were penalties. Last time I checked they are still counted. How is Batshuayi getting on over at the Chavs after his £32m move?

If you bothered to read, I said he didn't start great.

Brought in as a replacement for fellow French forward Nicolas Anelka, Henry was immediately moulded into a striker by Wenger, a move that would pay rich dividends in years to come. However, doubts were raised about his ability to adapt to the quick and physical English game when he failed to score in his first eight games. After several difficult months in England, Henry even conceded that he had to "be re-taught everything about the art of striking." These doubts were dispelled when he ended his first season at Woolwich with an impressive goal tally of 26

Still a lot of games to play and Janssen has 2 goals albeit those were penalties. Last time I checked they are still counted. How is Batshuayi getting on over at the Chavs after his £32m move?

Batshuayi has 3 goals in 3 starts.

1 in the league and 2 in the LC right? Fact is he's cost nearly double and has not to dissimilar stats. Neither are starters for their respective sides.

Correct.

In comparison though, Janssen has 2 goals in 7 starts.

Some people forget though that Janssen is actually YOUNGER than Batshauyi.

Correct.

In comparison though, Janssen has 2 goals in 7 starts.

Some people forget though that Janssen is actually YOUNGER than Batshauyi.

He's 22, still a lot to learn, Soldado was 28 when he joined us and was a more completed player in terms of his development. Janssen can surely only improve under Pochettino's coaching. Plenty on here were writing Sonny off, now that he's scored a few he's become a bit more indispensable.

Not sure why people think Janssen is the problem, he starts, holds the ball up from 2 defenders then lays it off to Eriksen/Lamela/Onomah etc who do nothing with it.

We have a player who can bully any defender yet have no runners playing off him, Liverpool would have a mountain of goals with Janssen up top laying the ball off to Mane and Couthino 25 yards from goal.

As I keep saying Kane or Janssen are not the problem, the problem is in our AM's who offer little to no threat (Son excepted) despite the donkey work done by our striker/s.

If you want Janssen to get in the box more and shoot then our other attacking players need to raise their game and do more work further forward in support. Janssen has come from another league, is not yet fit enough and is still in the adaption phase yet his actual play is better than many of our longer term players and we are moaning.

We need a world class attacking midfielder far more than a replacement for Janssen.

Not sure why people think Janssen is the problem, he starts, holds the ball up from 2 defenders then lays it off to Eriksen/Lamela/Onomah etc who do nothing with it.

We have a player who can bully any defender yet have no runners playing off him, Liverpool would have a mountain of goals with Janssen up top laying the ball off to Mane and Couthino 25 yards from goal.

As I keep saying Kane or Janssen are not the problem, the problem is in our AM's who offer little to no threat (Son excepted) despite the donkey work done by our striker/s.

If you want Janssen to get in the box more and shoot then our other attacking players need to raise their game and do more work further forward in support. Janssen has come from another league, is not yet fit enough and is still in the adaption phase yet his actual play is better than many of our longer term players and we are moaning.

We need a world class attacking midfielder far more than a replacement for Janssen.

Isco?

Back
Top Bottom