Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Leicester managed to win things....and Wigan, who beat a team who very much pay the money in a final. Both Swansea and Birmingham have won the League Cup since we last did.

There's loads of examples that disprove the 'money = success' paradigm.
I knew you'd say that. But we haven't had any success. If your examples are Leicester, Swansea and Birmingham, I give up. I honestly thought we were bigger than those clubs - and we are - miles bigger. Richer, better supported, more money to spend, but as you say, less successful. So all good then.

I knew you'd say that. But we haven't had any success. If your examples are Leicester, Swansea and Birmingham, I give up. I honestly thought we were bigger than those clubs - and we are - miles bigger. Richer, better supported, more money to spend, but as you say, less successful. So all good then.

:pochfacepalm: Don't start going all hyperbolic "Gibbs" style. Seriously, you know that's not what you asked or what I said.

:pochfacepalm: Don't start going all hyperbolic "Gibbs" style. Seriously, you know that's not what you asked or what I said.
Ok. I thought your examples were terrible. And they only watered down your point IMO. I get it CJJ, you won't hear a bad word about Spurs, we are doing all the right things without actually winning anything. That's fine mate.

3 games in, I'd be curious to see where all the "we don't need to sign anyone else" brigade have gone.
To be fair I think a lot of people were under the impression that we would keep most of our players. Meaning that with the addition of Wanyama and Janssen we would be pretty much covered. Since then though we've seen the likes of Bentaleb, Pritchard and Fazio already leave the club. Mason, Clinton and Chadli also look likely to leave. And I'm not sure what will happen with Wimmer and Son either. Personally I thought quite a lot of those players sufficed, but Poch seems to think differently.

To be fair I think a lot of people were under the impression that we would keep most of our players. Meaning that with the addition of Wanyama and Janssen we would be pretty much covered. Since then though we've seen the likes of Bentaleb, Pritchard and Fazio already leave the club. Mason, Clinton and Chadli also look likely to leave. And I'm not sure what will happen with Wimmer and Son either. Personally I thought quite a lot of those players sufficed, but Poch seems to think differently.

I guess he doesn't rate them and with the like of the kids coming through he probably wanted to make space. In pre-season Winks looked like the player we all wanted Mason and Carroll to be so there is certainly ability with a good few of these kids.

For me last season and the previous season most of the players you mentioned where simply where not good enough, Mason, Carroll, Fazio, Chadli although Yedlin and Pritchard didn't get much of a chance. By selling these players we make cash, free up wages and space. My only disappointment really was Bentaleb, the guy was becoming a monster in his first two seasons then it seemed as if the relationship with the club went out of the window. He could have a huge future if he controls his personality.

Bentaleb aside I agree with what Poch is doing in terms of moving on players either not good enough or not suited to the system. Only issue is that unless Poch honestly feels the kids are ready to do what Kane and Bentaleb did in previous seasons our squad is light.

For me we need at least two more players, Isco if it happens would be perfect then maybe other decent CM to cover Dembele.

What if these players weren't financially motivated?

What if they were more keen on working in a team that gets along like family, for a manager that can improve them, in a team that aims to play attractive attacking football, word class facilities that can offer them state of the art training and physio, that allows them to live in London, play first team football in the CL... (you get the picture)
Dream on

Ok. I thought your examples were terrible. And they only watered down your point IMO. I get it CJJ, you won't hear a bad word about Spurs, we are doing all the right things without actually winning anything. That's fine mate.

No, you said "We don't win things because we don't pay the money. ".

That's not the reason why we don't win things, as per the fact that smaller teams who pay their players even less win things.

The reason why we haven't won anything, aside from luck, is just down to the mentality of the players. We've been in 2 league cup finals, 2 FA Cup Semi-Finals, a CL Quarter Final and two EL QF's... all in the last 7 years. The problem is, during that time, we've been infested by players who only want to pick up a pay cheque, and don't have the do-or-die mentality we needed, bar a few (like King, Parker, Bale and Friedel etc.). They don't get to the finals and have a drive to win things, which is why players like Adebayor will have an empty cabinet in their spare room.

We're actually in a good place right now, as Kane and Dier keep saying, in terms of team togetherness - that's what made Fergie so successful, not signing 5 players every window who only come for £££ .

Come on, don't be naive. We don't win things because we don't pay the money. It's pretty obvious.
STANDING-OVATION.gif

I mean, apparently West Ham wanted Rodriguez so we might as well go for a punt.

With the Bentaleb and the Fazio deals and the Mason one looking to happen we're already in the black yet have more than enough to invest in player assets. Even if we were able to get James and Isco on a loan it would bring a level of excitement superior to that of 2013.

Lloris

Walker - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose

Dier - Dembele

James - Isco - Alli

Kane

Subs: Vorm, Wimmer, Davies, Wanyama, Eriksen, Lamela, Janssen.
No, I'm not getting my hopes up.

I was on about Jay Rodriquez but hey.. If James is up for a move then great.

Just a note of caution on the Isco story: Steve Stammers - For those not familiar with him google him kids.

Just like you I have absolutely no way of knowing if it is true or not, but this guy has been writing bollocks about us for 20yrs! Whenever I see his name I usually don't even bother to read the story. My gut is telling me that maybe he has an inside on Isco going, but his destination isn't Spurs and maybe he already knows this, so puts out a story that gets Spurs fans jumping for joy, then he signs for another team, leaving Spurs fans spitting feathers and raging against the world. Yes, I admit this an elaborate work of a paranoid Spurs fan, but when it involves this cunt of a reporter I want to read another story linking us to him and not saying in the report "according to the Mirror". Only then will I give it any credence.

No, you said "We don't win things because we don't pay the money. ".

That's not the reason why we don't win things, as per the fact that smaller teams who pay their players even less win things.

The reason why we haven't won anything, aside from luck, is just down to the mentality of the players. We've been in 2 league cup finals, 2 FA Cup Semi-Finals, a CL Quarter Final and two EL QF's... all in the last 7 years. The problem is, during that time, we've been infested by players who only want to pick up a pay cheque, and don't have the do-or-die mentality we needed, bar a few (like King, Parker, Bale and Friedel etc.). They don't get to the finals and have a drive to win things, which is why players like Adebayor will have an empty cabinet in their spare room.

We're actually in a good place right now, as Kane and Dier keep saying, in terms of team togetherness - that's what made Fergie so successful, not signing 5 players every window who only come for £££ .

Really it just depends who you get/buy. I like our first 11, I like some of the kids coming through, Winks and Edwards in particular, I like us getting rid of players like Chadli, Mason who are not good enough for a CL team, I just feel we need 2-3 more quality players who can get into or push the first 11. If we can get these players for nothing, great, if they cost 20 million we need to bite the bullet.

Isco for example is an amazing player and it's one or two signings like that going along with what we already have that could make the difference between top 4/winning a cup or 6th and no cup success.

Re discussion on Money. I can recall going on a Course many years ago where it was argued that money was not a motivational force. The argument went that if you keep offering more and more money whilst performance may go up for a while, it then fell back to it's previous level. Does any of our players offered new contracts with more money actually play better since the signing of the new contract?
Well I disagreed as money certainly motivated me.
The argument was that other factors like the way someone was treated, responsibility etc were more important. The proviso was that this theory kicked in after a person had enough to live on which is all Premiership footballers.

Take the position of Mason. Do not know who is paying the most Spurs, Hull or Sunderland. As long as the figures are close, his decision will be decided by one of the following, Management at the clubs, travelling time to friends/family presumably near London, decent area to live (especially if wife involved and schools if children) chances of playing regularly, relegation chance etc as may end up in Championship next year.
No 2 players will make the same decision. Some like Bale will go abroad but others prefer to stay in England.
This theory only holds if the figures are close. Vardy turned down the Scum not because of the money.

They are still financially motivated. Come on, don't be naive. We don't win things because we don't pay the money. It's pretty obvious.
Thing is, when we annually missed out on CL football, people used that as an excuse for us not attracting top players. Now we're in it, the same people say we can't afford top players. There's always an excuse.

Back
Top Bottom