"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
I'm a fan of "we're not the racists, we're proud to be Yids", to the same generic tune as every other song at the moment. Surely, surely you couldn't be arrested for using Yid in that context? SURELY?

"We're proud to be Jews, we're proud to be Jews, you stupid bastards, you ain't got a clue"

"Gimme a Y...." (Why-eye-eye)
"I.... " (Ey-eye-eye...)
"D...." (Dee-eee-eeee)
"...whatchoo got?"
"We can't spell-we can't spell-we can't spell-we can't spell"

...just 3 little letters... let the Police do the spelling, and fucking arrest themselves when they've done it!

Last edited:
The whole charge is just completely ridiculous.

I find it appalling that West Ham, Lazio, Chelsea, Woolwich (that I have first hand experience of) can sing/chant/shout such blatantly racist and offensive words at us, yet no action is taken.

Disgraceful.

So that's two protests now needed! StubHub and Yids.

What chants could we sign to really make a point to the police who will obviously be in block 35 for Dnipro, without saying anything which could get anyone in trouble?

I'm a fan of "we're not the racists, we're proud to be Yids", to the same generic tune as every other song at the moment. Surely, surely you couldn't be arrested for using Yid in that context? SURELY?

"We're proud to be Jews, we're proud to be Jews, you stupid bastards, you ain't got a clue"
I'd join in with most songs but I couldn't sing "we're proud to be jews". Wouldn't feel right considering I'm not jewish

I'd join in with most songs but I couldn't sing "we're proud to be jews". Wouldn't feel right considering I'm not jewish

I agree... it doesn't make sense as you're NOT a Jew... but you ARE a Yid... and THAT'S THE POINT!

...I am happy to sing both, as I am both! The fact is, and actually the whole point is... NOAWDAYS Jew (meaning Jewish person, not necessarily a Spurs fan) and Yid (meaning Spurs fans, but NOT Jews) should be two totally separate things, with two completely different meanings!

I think we just got ourselves a case for the OFFENCE-DEFENCE M'Lud!

Me neither, I'm a Catholic, but I see the purpose of calling myself a Yid - which I'm very happy to do in solidarity with those who do suffer from the same disgusting anti-Semitism targeted at Tottenham fans - and saying I'm proud to be a Jew to be similar. I think the important distinction isn't that the person chanting that is Jewish, but that they don't find being associated with Jews as shameful and we completely reject that hatred of them - we love Jews as our fellow Tottenham brothers and sisters and are proud of each and every one of our fans. We don't see ourselves as 2 groups, Jewish and non-Jewish, let alone with one having superiority. We're one Tottenham. We're ALL Yids, and anyone who has a problem with that can fuck right off.

I agree there. I don't join in with the "...thing I love most is being a Jew" song, as I am not Jewish.

I'd totally echo your point 1882, but obviously thats just my view, others don't see it that way it seems.

Surely the prosecution will have to convince a jury of 12 members of the public that by using the word, they intended to cause offence to a jew/some jews.
Cant see it happening.

Me neither, I'm a Catholic, but I see the purpose of calling myself a Yid - which I'm very happy to do in solidarity with those who do suffer from the same disgusting anti-Semitism targeted at Tottenham fans - and saying I'm proud to be a Jew to be similar. I think the important distinction isn't that the person chanting that is Jewish, but that they don't find being associated with Jews as shameful and we completely reject that hatred of them - we love Jews as our fellow Tottenham brothers and sisters and are proud of each and every one of our fans. We don't see ourselves as 2 groups, Jewish and non-Jewish, let alone with one having superiority. We're one Tottenham. We're ALL Yids, and anyone who has a problem with that can fuck right off.

There's a fair few Jewish Gooners I fucking hate!
But i'd never call them Yids, 'cos they're not... they're Jewish... and Gooner scum at that!

Surely the prosecution will have to convince a jury of 12 members of the public that by using the word, they intended to cause offence to a jew/some jews.
Cant see it happening.

This is true. However I really feel for these guys. This could EASILY have been me. Could easily have a criminal record. I've just spent a ridiculous amount of money on a honeymoon in USA and that could easily have been fucked up by one word which has absolutely no racial or abusive connotations from me when I use it.

but he said jew

I know!
The whole point is, YID shouldn't mean JEW... YID mean DID mean JEW, now YID means SPURS fan... which isn't (or shouldn't be) offensive to JEWS, as it's no longer being directed at them! Being a YID and being a JEW are not one and the same!

...he was wrong... you were right... THAT'S my point!

"...who fucks arses... maybe he fucks arses?"*

(*Please please please have seen Withnail & I in your lifetime... or else that makes fuck all sense, and I sound like a nonce!)

Last edited:
I know, it could have literally been any one of us. But they're innocent until proven guilty, and i honestly dont think they will be found guilty. Ive done jury duty and im sure many people here have.
The first case i sat on, was an absolute joke. And only went to court because it had too. This is like that i think. Its a joke of a case but they're left with no choice

This is true. However I really feel for these guys. This could EASILY have been me. Could easily have a criminal record. I've just spent a ridiculous amount of money on a honeymoon in USA and that could easily have been fucked up by one word which has absolutely no racial or abusive connotations from me when I use it.

Could easily have been many of us... I'm really interested to hear if any of those arrested ARE in fact Jewish, and wouldn't they have a valid point if they themselves hadn't been offended (as Jews) by a word THEY were saying (as SPURS fans) ...a case of Schrödinger's Jew?

I'm SPURtacus!!

Back
Top Bottom