"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
So anyone seen this picture doing the rounds?

BagpYAACQAAVCJo.jpg:large

A Spurs fan found it from years ago. Just another ridiculous example of hypocrisy from a ridiculous man.

So anyone seen this picture doing the rounds?
BagpYAACQAAVCJo.jpg:large

A Spurs fan found it from years ago. Just another ridiculous example of hypocrisy from a ridiculous man.
baddiel also claims to be a 10 out of 10 atheist as well!!!... the mans a cunt

I see Baddiel is doing stand up at the Southbank centre 4-6th feb....

You 1882ers should pop along one evening....

Baddiel has already shown that he is not open to debate. At a stand up show he will be the one with the microphone and heckling is not really welcomed. 1882 would only destroy their image doing that, not wise at all imo.

Just seen that the 3 guys who were arrested have been prosecuted.

Fuck sake
Don't think they've been prosecuted, just charged.

Load of crappy law jargon; I think 'charged' is when there's enough evidence to present a case against them, so this will go to court. When the judge has come to a decision, if they're guilty they'll be prosecuted/convicted. Not 100% but think that's it.

It's a 'trial case', so no precedent has been set before and it's unchartered territory. The outcome will likely define what happens with all 'yid' chanting in future.

Ah yes that I was trying to work out if they had been through the courts already. I'm hoping the judge sees sense and they get off but given that it's football-related I fear they don't stand a chance. Football fans have to be one of the largest group victims of prejudice in the country

Ah yes that I was trying to work out if they had been through the courts already. I'm hoping the judge sees sense and they get off but given that it's football-related I fear they don't stand a chance. Football fans have to be one of the largest group victims of prejudice in the country
Also we live in a country which is unable to separate the context from the words and behaves hypocritically all the time. Say what you like about America but no free speech means no real freedom. In the uk our law states that a word can be offensive not if it is meant to be offensive or not but if it's taken as offensive, so I theory you say the word dick or fanny, i find it 'deeply offensive' and report you. I am always amazed that under the last few governments who have introduced such horrible laws relating to our freedoms that we accept this offence culture and abandon the concept of free speech, rant over.

I hope David baddiel is happy with himself, chav cunt.

No doubt the smug little smile on his cunty little face just got that much smuggier!

David%20Baddiel.jpg

...actually, I find him offensive!
Is anyone gonna arrest and charge him with the disgust and offence caused to me, just by virtue of him 'being'???

It's very unlikely a judge interpreting the law will side with our viewpoint (i.e. we're only using a racist chant because their racist chant is worse). A judge will have a statute book to say that racism is racism. All now sub-judice so I'll have to be careful with what I say

Sincerely hope our three fans have a decent brief and the outcome is a good one. Is there a fighting fund set up by the Trust? Happy to put in a few quid.

It's very unlikely a judge interpreting the law will side with our viewpoint (i.e. we're only using a racist chant because their racist chant is worse). A judge will have a statute book to say that racism is racism. All now sub-judice so I'll have to be careful with what I say

Sincerely hope our three fans have a decent brief and the outcome is a good one. Is there a fighting fund set up by the Trust? Happy to put in a few quid.
They're being charged under 'Section Five' which is the Public Order Act, the one the police like to wave in everyone's face if someone starts getting a bit leary.

From the UK Legislation website:
UK Legislation said:
(3)It is a defence for the accused to prove—

(a)that he had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress, or

(b)that he was inside a dwelling and had no reason to believe that the words or behaviour used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation displayed, would be heard or seen by a person outside that or any other dwelling, or

(c)that his conduct was reasonable.
I'd argue that point (a) is relevant, those charged had no reason to believe that there was anybody within hearing who was likely to be caused harassment, alarm, or distress. Also worth trying (c) because it could be seen as 'reasonable' due to its common usage for the past 30 years in large groups of people.

I don't study criminal law though, I do contract stuff. @ Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon don't you deal with some of this shit sometimes?

They're being charged under 'Section Five' which is the Public Order Act, the one the police like to wave in everyone's face if someone starts getting a bit leary.

From the UK Legislation website:
I'd argue that point (a) is relevant, those charged had no reason to believe that there was anybody within hearing who was likely to be caused harassment, alarm, or distress. Also worth trying (c) because it could be seen as 'reasonable' due to its common usage for the past 30 years in large groups of people.

I don't study criminal law though, I do contract stuff. @ Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon don't you deal with some of this shit sometimes?
I don't but I did review the legislation and it has wider scope. I did a post on this to Eperons in the thread about Ajax's Arab surfer flag. On my phone at the moment though so can't link to it.

That said, the Act only requires the there be people in the locality of the chants who may be offended by it for it to be an offence. It's quite broad.

So that's two protests now needed! StubHub and Yids.

What chants could we sign to really make a point to the police who will obviously be in block 35 for Dnipro, without saying anything which could get anyone in trouble?

I'm a fan of "we're not the racists, we're proud to be Yids", to the same generic tune as every other song at the moment. Surely, surely you couldn't be arrested for using Yid in that context? SURELY?

"We're proud to be Jews, we're proud to be Jews, you stupid bastards, you ain't got a clue"

Back
Top Bottom