Would you change anything about how the forum is run?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This isn't the worst idea and you're probably onto something in regards to the future of forums given how popular mobile browsing is. I doubt it's anything that's going to happen any time soon though. Having a server full of you lot chatting shit in text form is bad enough.

I think the person you're referring to, who offered someone out, is now in the sin bin. So I guess, in that regard, it has worked.

A self moderated forum is a vague reflection of the people using it. So if you like it here, you might have to put up with a bit of colourful language. Vote when you see any arguing in threads etc though, if it's ruining the site for you. If enough others agree, the perpetrator will feel the back of my (virtual) hand.
Would it be a cost issue (preventing the audio posting idea)? Like you say, mobile browsing is becoming prevalent - making it easier for forum users to participate while on the move will keep TFC at the vanguard.

Have you considered charging a subscription to users after a given number of threads have been read or posts written? So, you have ten free posts per month, then, if you want to continue participation, it'll be £3 a month, for example. A subscription like that is negligible to the user, but, I'd imagine, significant to the forum.

Regarding Pirate Pirate 's complaints, I'm in favour of our self-governing soviet.

Have you considered charging a subscription to users after a given number of threads have been read or posts written? So, you have ten free posts per month, then, if you want to continue participation, it'll be £3 a month, for example. A subscription like that is negligible to the user, but, I'd imagine, significant to the forum.

Ok, I'm new here however, why would people want to pay £3 a month when every other forum is free (apart from donations)?

Ok, I'm new here however, why would people want to pay £3 a month when every other forum is free (apart from donations)?
Quality. Tribalism. And 3 quid a month is fuck all.

I pay £3 a month. Why not? 20 fags are over a ten spot. Wtf is 3 quid? But if every user pays £3 a month then I reckon the running costs would be covered(?) - Admin Admin correct me if I'm talking shite.

I spent years on COYS and the rigid code of conduct was brilliant in that it kept discussion on topic and though it may have become salty, it never degenerated into outright abuse

I accept the idea of self-moderation, I actually quite like it

It's progressive, low-maintenance and fluid

However with regard to abuse, clearly it isn't working

In the past two or three days, I've read a veiled attempt to offer somebody out, given with a time and place, and multiple comments like "You obviously know (insert expletive here) about ..."

Is this behaviour not as undesirable as I think it is, are my values misaligned in some way?

It's not a righteous crusade towards censorship, it's more an understanding of what makes a forum most effective

Slanging matches do the opposite
The thing is that this place was never designed to be effective, it was designed to be a reflection of its members. I think it works really well and i enjoy the absence of rigid code of conduct or mods on a power trip telling you what is and isn't desirable - someone on here acts up, others will put that poster in his/her place. Some (or a lot) of threads will degenerate yes, but in the end it's not that bad and just something i accept as a given to be able to enjoy this much freedom on a forum.

Fuck da authority and all that

I spent years on COYS and the rigid code of conduct was brilliant in that it kept discussion on topic and though it may have become salty, it never degenerated into outright abuse

In the past two or three days, I've read a veiled attempt to offer somebody out, given with a time and place, and multiple comments like "You obviously know (insert expletive here) about ..."

Is this behaviour not as undesirable as I think it is, are my values misaligned in some way?

It's not a righteous crusade towards censorship, it's more an understanding of what makes a forum most effective

I don't think that this is the forum for you and not having a go

To dare is to do might be better and certainly not so abusive

I've tried a few and quite clearly this is the best Spurs forum out there

The hard edge and self moderation makes it so

This place is like no other & that's part of the charm.

I think for its anarchistic , non regime format it's working very well

I don't think that this is the forum for you and not having a go

To dare is to do might be better and certainly not so abusive

I've tried a few and quite clearly this is the best Spurs forum out there

The hard edge and self moderation makes it so

I dislike mindless abuse. Everywhere you go on the Internet, there are keyboard warriors and they're as boring as they are predictable.

Do you consider mindless abuse to add value? In terms of entertainment, or furtherance of discussion?

I dislike mindless abuse. Everywhere you go on the Internet, there are keyboard warriors and they're as boring as they are predictable.

Do you consider mindless abuse to add value? In terms of entertainment, or furtherance of discussion?

Sometimes good entertainment and the Forum toilet is usually one of my first visits!!

As the psychologist in that Fawlty Towers episode once said, " enough material for a conference here"!!

All I'm saying is that this forum isn't for everyone

How does that parrot on your shoulder feel about it?

Sick?
:lennon:

Back
Top Bottom