would you accept Dennis Bergkamp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

denis bergkamp at spurs

• yes

Votes: 57 64.0%
  • no

Votes: 32 36.0%

• Total voters
My observation is that the better coaches and managers seem to be those that were much more limited as players.

I think without the outrigth natural ability of say Hoddle, players of lesser ability have to think more, watch more, pay more attention to coaching, even work harder. And as a result they have a more academic understanding of the game and ability to convey that to other people.

Someone of raw natural ability just doesnt have to think about it all, and would then struggle to explain how and why they do what they do...

I also observe that the better managers are defenders. I wonder if its because they spend 15+ years with the game in front of them?

This is of course speaking in generatlities, there will be plenty of exceptions
So according to this we will have the greatest manger the world has ever seen in the form of Ledley King in about 8-10 years?

I voted no because I don't know what his coaching credentials are.

But it is worth mentioning that Herbert Chapman was apparently a Spurs fan, Jamie Carragher, Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman all supported Everton, and you'll be hard pushed to find a Liverpool fan who doesn't love those players (even McManaman, despite his Real indiscretion).

I voted no because I don't know what his coaching credentials are.

But it is worth mentioning that Herbert Chapman was apparently a Spurs fan, Jamie Carragher, Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman all supported Everton, and you'll be hard pushed to find a Liverpool fan who doesn't love those players (even McManaman, despite his Real indiscretion).

I never seen anything or heard anything from berkamp saying he was a spurs fan.. all I've ever seen was
he liked to watch glen hoddle & tried modelling his 2 footed game.

Think about it people - If De Boer is being pursuaded to come to spurs.... Bergkamp will stay there and manage them, in a way him staying there is our best chance of getting De Boer

He said in an interview he was named Dennis after Denis Law as his dad liked him as a player and he liked Hoddle but didn't support spurs, but used to watch us for him like a little fanboy.
If he came with FDB I'd welcome him. Im almost certain he wouldn't come though

It would mug off the Gooners something fierce which would be hilarious but no I don't want him.

As @ Mensa Mensa said, he would probably take De Boer's spot anyway.

zCiiQzL.png

Saw this on my facebook.

An Woolwich legend, who came here, coached with a very good up and coming manager and did well?

That is just double positive for me.

Btw Bergkamps is highly regarded in the business by a bunch of people.

Honestly this Bergkamp stuff doesn't bother me. I'm not going to get all hung up JUST because he played for Woolwich, fair enough if it was someone like Wilshere coming in as an assistant in 20 years time (God forbid).

And count me in especially if it means we get FDB

I can see it now. He comes along, does well and then Wenger leaves and he joins them just when we are starting to get somewhere. So we train their future manager. So gonna happen. But yeah, I'd accept him if he was any good. And as long as he publically shat on an Woolwich shirt at half time at the center circle at EVERY GAME (home or away) for however long he was with us. I'm all for reconciliation.

I missed the bit where Bergkamp has proven himself a top class coach...

Time and time again it's been shown that excellent players don't necessarily make top coaches (or managers). If that was the case then why not go the whole hog and hire Tony FAAAACKING Adams as defensive coach and forget that his management career involved overseeing some of the worst club defending ever witnessed.

Nothing against Bergkamp really, he's one of the least offensive gooners out there but I don't see why he'd be a great coach.
Have I missed the bit where De Boer has proven himself as a top class manager!?

All the fucking moaning on here about Levy's shit and poorly thought out managerial recruitments, and they want some who has only been a head coach for 3 years in the Dutch league? He has no better record than AVB did - and he is a "cunt" :avbnaa:

And Laudrup has been touted by plenty on here. And Pochettino. They're both lower than us in the fucking table but they're genuises worthy of the hotseat at WHL.

This is such a fucking headache. No wonder Levy can't get it right - even if he took our advice he'd get it wrong and we'd hang him for it!

Back
Top Bottom